Running newbie - couch-to-5k, Haaaaaard!!

Options

Replies

• maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you have no health reasons that force you to slow down, DON'T! It's just a short time and that running burst is what is conditioning your heart to be able to run more. I never did this program but would just run sprints in short bursts, very short and not often but would run my behind off. Started that on Jan/feb and now run a 10k in 56 mins.

A heart rate monitor is great if you love running. As you condition your heart, your heart rate won't go as high, that's when you know it's time to push yourself to run faster and the cycle starts again!

I love running!
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Tried to search for Rundouble on my phone and no results came up. Reason is that it is for Androids. I would like a 5k improver program as my times have gotten slower and I'm trying to shake things up a bit - do you have any similar suggestions for iphones?
    Thanks

There is one called 5k forever for iphone. :)
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Started Day 1 today. I can honestly say that seemed harder than doing 20k on my bike! However, I am going to stick to it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A couple of tricks to slowing down...

1) Keep your feet under you - no long strides. Forget running like a gazelle or like you see in some of the running memes on Pinterest/Facebook. Also focus on landing somewhere between midfoot and ball. That helps keep your strides shorter.

2) Pace your breathing with your foot falls. Inhale for every two foot falls so it's basically inhale as your right then left foot strike the ground (aka 2 short breaths) then exhale as your right then left foot strike. Some do three short breaths for three foot strikes - do whatever feels most comfortable for you.

3) If you listen to music, it may be too fast paced so maybe skip that until you develop your endurance and speed a bit more. Once I get a good pace going, I try to sing a song in my head that matches well with my strikes or I count in my head to stay focused on the pace.

Also consider energy conservation: Short strides help with this as you're not doing to big of a range of motion just yet. Also make sure your shoulders, hands and arms are relaxed - too much tension in these areas can waste energy and wipe you out faster.

P.S. Ditto on repeating weeks - no shame in it. Also consider extending that last week one more day or totally revamping and doing as much as you can the next time. That leap to 20 minutes can be tough so if you can only do 15 or 18 that's still really good and a step in the right direction!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you have no health reasons that force you to slow down, DON'T! It's just a short time and that running burst is what is conditioning your heart to be able to run more. I never did this program but would just run sprints in short bursts, very short and not often but would run my behind off. Started that on Jan/feb and now run a 10k in 56 mins.

A heart rate monitor is great if you love running. As you condition your heart, your heart rate won't go as high, that's when you know it's time to push yourself to run faster and the cycle starts again!

I love running!

Sorry to disappoint you, but your just wrong. Running at above aerobic capacity, especially for a new runner, is a good way to get discouraged, to risk injury and it doesn't build your aerobic capacity when you are running in an anaerobic zone.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I love running!

Sorry to disappoint you, but your just wrong. Running at above aerobic capacity, especially for a new runner, is a good way to get discouraged, to risk injury and it doesn't build your aerobic capacity when you are running in an anaerobic zone.
    As someone else said, listen to Carson. He definitely knows what he's talking about.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I did the running room learn to run program - I couldn't run 30 seconds when I started. 15 months later I finished my 1st half marathon in just over 2 hours (2:03). I found (and was chuckling about it this morning with my running buddy) that the 5min run 1 min walk is still the absolute hardest - it was harder to me than running 15 k. I WANTED TO DIE. Pay attention to your breathing - if it is heavy and panting you are going too fast, step it back a bit so you can breath at a normal pace.
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tried to search for Rundouble on my phone and no results came up. Reason is that it is for Androids. I would like a 5k improver program as my times have gotten slower and I'm trying to shake things up a bit - do you have any similar suggestions for iphones?
    Thanks

There is one called 5k forever for iphone. :)

Thanks for the info - I will look into it!!
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the Galloway run-walk-run technique. I used his Easy 5K app when I started running and back on 4/30/12. I was morbidly obese at over 300lbs with high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I used a :30 run, :45 walk ratio for my 3 runs each week. When I started I was doing 16 minute miles. When I finished his 8 week 5k program I moved to the 10k and then half app. In a little over 8 months of running I was able to drop 115lbs and finish my first official half in under 2 hours. I am now training for the Dumbo Double Dare 1/2 and 10k challenge over Labor day and I have been able to drop my times even more. I dropped my official 5k PR to 22:04 and my 10k PR to 47:04. I still use the Galloway technique on my training runs and do a :30 run, :30 walk ratio. I am able to do around an 8 minute per mile using this technique. Best of all in the roughly 14 months since I started I have stayed injury free and not missed even one scheduled run. The Galloway technique is what has kept me going as a 40 year old new runner.
  • Wmy890
    Wmy890 Posts: 12
    Options
    Great, fantastic, keep it up.
  • AmandaGuele
    Options
    I understand your pain so much...I have great endurance, strength, and speed....

BUT HORRIBLE STAMINA.

I'm not cut out to run. I'm just not. But what helps me run is taking it VERY SLOWLY. As in, instead of sprinting and wasting all your energy in one go, jog lightly and slowly. Don't worry about going fast or quickening your pace, just make sure you're not completely wearing yourself out. You want to save your energy so you can last longer.

Good luck (thumbs up)
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    Good lord, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the c25k is hard. I used to jog everyday back in highschool, then stopped and am just now picking it back up. I had the hardest time that first week, and I just started week 2 (didn't get to do it today because it was way too hot and humid outside. I was gasping for air as soon as I walked out the door), and its still just as difficult.

I do have a question of my own tho..I've been jogging at a Reeeeally slow pace (15min mile) and I still have a hard time breathing, I wouldn't be able to keep up a conversation if I tried. I feel if I go any slower I'd just be power walking. I'm sure it has to do with my horrible past of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day (i switched to e-cigs a little over a year ago, but I'm not sure if that's any better when it comes to running), and the fact that I have asthma. But my question is two-fold, how can I increase my stamina, and if there are any joggers out there with asthma, how do you maintain a good breathing pattern to prevent an attack? I've tried 2-2, 3-2, 3-3..nothing seems to help. -__-
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I started the RunDouble couch-to-5k program, and I'm on week 4.

My questions is for any runners out there who did a similar program - does it get easier soon??? God above, i feel like I'm dying doing the run intervals (now up to 3 and 5 mins running (and by running, I mean jogging my gasping *kitten*...), 2x, with walking in between). Maybe its just this humidity recently, but even getting up in the morning before it gets hot....not going so well.

I want to be able to run a _decent_ 5k, but while I've been moving up through the weeks and can force myself to run the longer times, its really freaking hard!!

Are some people just not cut out to be runners?

Any tips people can give me to help out with this endeavor?

btw, 29y/o female.

Thank you!

Ok...first and foremost...it IS hard. But SO SO SO Rewarding, especially if you're like me and get bit by the racing bug...C25K is the first step to a whoooollleee new world!

The best best advice I can give you is, like others, Go sloooooow. Even a year and a half past c25k, I'm still suuuuuper slow. When I try to add time to my runs, I go so slow I'm barely going faster than walking. When it gets to the point where you just don't think you can go faster, slow down and just kind of shuffle along. I read once that when you're doing c25k, you should be going so slow you can carry on a lively conversation with someone. Seems impossible, I know...but just try pulling back a little, even if you feel ridiculous going that slow, it's OK! Build up your stamina & speed will come later!

But...yeah, the humidity is probably part of it. On humid day's it's extra tough to push through the painfulness...try to run earlier/later, or check the forecast and try to schedule your runs on days it shouldn't be quite so humid....and bring water on runs!!

Good luck!!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options

I love running!

Sorry, but pushing through for 60 seconds is not discouraging. Nobody here thinks running is easy, you have to build up. And it does condition your heart. I ran intervals when walking, I pushed myself to run fast even if just 60 seconds. My resting heart rate was nearly 60 by the time I got into running and now it's 46. I have never injured myself and have never felt discouraged. Even now, I will run faster in short bursts, not on every run but most short runs.

Edited to add: if I was going on my first full run without the walking bit then yes, I would slow my pace to be able to do the run but not for short bursts of interval running.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

I'm doing the RunDouble c25k distance version. I start week 7 tomorrow. I died just about every single week and would look at night week and think there is now way on earth I can manage to do what they are asking me to do... but so far I have managed to do every single day of it successfully. Heck, I had never even ran a mile in my life until W5D3 where is expected me to run two nonstop. You can seriously do this though. Yeah, it's going to be a hard and a challenge, but it is worth it and so rewarding and you will be so proud of yourself each week for pushing a little harder and doing more than you thought was possible.

Just go slow and take it easy and get a good rhythm going with your stride and breathing and you got this.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I love running!

Sorry, but pushing through for 60 seconds is not discouraging. Nobody here thinks running is easy, you have to build up. And it does condition your heart. I ran intervals when walking, I pushed myself to run fast even if just 60 seconds. My resting heart rate was nearly 60 by the time I got into running and now it's 46. I have never injured myself and have never felt discouraged. Even now, I will run faster in short bursts, not on every run but most short runs.

Edited to add: if I was going on my first full run without the walking bit then yes, I would slow my pace to be able to do the run but not for short bursts of interval running.

The purpose of the C25K is to introduce the individual to distance running and prepare them to run a 5K without stopping. It is not a HIIT training program designed to burn fat. Attempting to blast through the running intervals is counterproductive to the end goal of the program.
  • AlySvenson
    Options
    I did couch to 5 k and had to stay on one of the weeks for quite some time before i could move on. That was two years ago I am now training for a half marathon and I love it!!!! keep at it and go slow you don't need to be fast
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Actually yeah, if you can't run 60 seconds and you're supposed to be running 5, 10, 25, 30 mins it is incredibly discouraging. Sorry our goals aren't as lofty as a marathon (one of these days!!), but you said it yourself, if your goal was to run a marathon without walking then you'd slow down. Think of the 5k as us lesser people's marathon. I'm not saying there's not a value in pushing through on some runs at a faster pace, but there's a reason that most plans for distance races call for speed work AND long, slow runs. From everything I've read MOST expert running coaches advocate going slow and building your aerobic fitness levels and bringing in speed once you have a base down. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. If it works for you, great, but don't cut down people with a goal of completing a program that gives them set defined goals. OP-if it's hard, you should try slowing down a bit. Keep running, but take it at an easier pace. That's my 2 cents at least.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Actually yeah, if you can't run 60 seconds and you're supposed to be running 5, 10, 25, 30 mins it is incredibly discouraging. Sorry our goals aren't as lofty as a marathon (one of these days!!), but you said it yourself, if your goal was to run a marathon without walking then you'd slow down. Think of the 5k as us lesser people's marathon. I'm not saying there's not a value in pushing through on some runs at a faster pace, but there's a reason that most plans for distance races call for speed work AND long, slow runs. From everything I've read MOST expert running coaches advocate going slow and building your aerobic fitness levels and bringing in speed once you have a base down. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. If it works for you, great, but don't cut down people with a goal of completing a program that gives them set defined goals. OP-if it's hard, you should try slowing down a bit. Keep running, but take it at an easier pace. That's my 2 cents at least.

Well stated.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Good lord, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the c25k is hard. I used to jog everyday back in highschool, then stopped and am just now picking it back up. I had the hardest time that first week, and I just started week 2 (didn't get to do it today because it was way too hot and humid outside. I was gasping for air as soon as I walked out the door), and its still just as difficult.

I do have a question of my own tho..I've been jogging at a Reeeeally slow pace (15min mile) and I still have a hard time breathing, I wouldn't be able to keep up a conversation if I tried. I feel if I go any slower I'd just be power walking. I'm sure it has to do with my horrible past of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day (i switched to e-cigs a little over a year ago, but I'm not sure if that's any better when it comes to running), and the fact that I have asthma. But my question is two-fold, how can I increase my stamina, and if there are any joggers out there with asthma, how do you maintain a good breathing pattern to prevent an attack? I've tried 2-2, 3-2, 3-3..nothing seems to help. -__-
    I don't have asthma, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents since I was having trouble with breathing when I was in the earlier weeks of the program... I also tried the different methods out there that you mentioned, and my jogging pace at the time was about the same as yours.

What I found that helped me was to not actually think about the breathing with those methods and kind of quietly sing along with my music every once in awhile (so no one could hear me because it would be weird :laugh: ). It keeps you on pace and keeps your breathing even without thinking about it.

I also read someone in a forum said that they would say the alphabet really quietly to keep breathing in check.

If you have a heart rate monitor, that might help too. Usually if I feel like my breathing is struggling I glance at my HRM and it says my heart rate is higher than normal so they kind of go hand-in-hand, in my experience.

I hope that helps. Try a forum search too. I'm sure there's lots of suggestions for breathing help on old forums. :flowerforyou: