protein shakes

Options
im looking for a protein shake that will aid with my weight loss.

i rarely eat breakfast so i wil be using it as a meal replacement. any suggestions??

just want to base it of real results...i feel that alot of the reviews online are fake

Replies

• StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Based on quality and taste, Optimum Nutrition is my favorite. Go with cookies & cream mixed in milk FTW.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Pre-packaged- Orgain Organic Nutritional shake
    Powder- Garden of Life Raw Meal- Meal Replacement

Both focus on fruit and veggie formulas which I like.
  • tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this too. Mine also can't have Sucralose, or Aspartame, and need to be gluten free. I contacted a few companies that were recommended to see if they would send me samples because I didn't want 5# of powder I didn't like, and they said to expect them in the mail soon.
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pea protein isolate. I use a brand called Vegn. I have a sensitive stomach, and whey protein gave me HORRIBLE stomach pains where I couldn't eat for hours and was keeled over on my bed in pain! Vegn protein has never given me this problem. It is light and tastes pretty good, and it is neutral enough where you can add anything to it.

I usually make a protein drink with this recipe:

1) 1 cup of almond or soy milk (better for you and didn't give me stomach problems)
    2) 1 scoop Vegn protein
    3) 1 cup of greens (kale or spinach)
    4) 1 cup of any fruits (my favorites for shakes are watermelon, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, mangos, and bananas)
    4) honey or agave nectar if you desire, but the fruit should sweeten it up enough!

A shake like the one above will definitely keep you full all morning! It will also give you adequate energy in the morning. :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Based on quality and taste, Optimum Nutrition is my favorite. Go with cookies & cream mixed in milk FTW.

I buy this too, only vanilla. It has 30 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar. My favorite is to mix it with Light Chocolate Soy, 1 T peanut butter and 1 cup of ice. YUM!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Unless you're vegan, stick to powders derived from whey protein as it has the maximum bioavailability. Proteins from vegetable sources are not as easily utilized by the body and hence you're not absorbing all of the protein. I like isopure Dutch chocolate. It is a whey isolate, so it's almost pure protein, with 1 gram of fat for every 50 grams of protein. Mix it with milk if you'd like to add some carbs.
  • Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Drinking a protein powder will not have you lose weight, eating in a deficit will have you losing weight!

Protein is simply powdered food. I stick with Optimum Nutrition, pretty solid brand. The coffee flavor is really tasty!!
  • kelseyann92
    kelseyann92 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've had the EAS Lean Protein in Vanilla and it's pretty tasty! Only 100 calories for 2 scoops and I only used 1 scoop per serving. It comes in chocolate too:tongue:
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Trutein chocolate peanut butter-- non-veg multi-source
    Trutein cinnabon
    Nitrofusion (vanilla)-- vegetarian multi-source
  • violenceandlace
    Options
    I like Spirutein - I do one scoop of chocolate and one scoop of banana with skim milk in my BlenderBall tumbler.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what you're going to like ----
    I personally think Optimum nutrition is one of the absolute worst tasting, yet someone mentioned its their favorite.

I often make protein shakes for breakfast...and if you mix them with almond milk and coffee you can mask the flavor of any crappy tasting protein you don't like :) A little sugar-free hazelnut or any other creamer and voila -

My typical:
    Made in a large blender bottle (27oz) I take to the gym
    1 cup almond milk or flax milk
    2 cups decaf cold coffee (regular is fine too)
    1 scoop protein (i prefer chocolate or coffee flavor -- i use whey protein isolate, a few different brands i like)
    1-2 tbsp sugar free hazelnut creamer -

--- another good one for summer
    1 cup almond milk
    1-2 cups diet v8 splash tropical
    1 scoop jay robb pina colada protein
    Add what you like... i sometimes add pineapple or bananas and put the blender

-- experiment a little
    The BIGGEST difference is what you mix it with
    Most taste horrible just in water :) I try lots of things.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this too. Mine also can't have Sucralose, or Aspartame, and need to be gluten free. I contacted a few companies that were recommended to see if they would send me samples because I didn't want 5# of powder I didn't like, and they said to expect them in the mail soon.

There are lots of places to get samples ---- I wrote this blog post some time ago but I know most of it still exists.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissMaryMac33/view/protein-samples-101-260411
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I use Nutrisport 90+, cheap as chips - tastes like dog chocolate (yes, yes I have tasted this before anyone asks :sick:). I mix it with water & throw in a shot of soy milk.

Per 53g Serving
    Energy 852.2KJ
    Energy 199.2KCAL
    Protein 45.58g
    Carbohydrate 3.6g
    (Of which is sugars) 2.5g
    Fat 1.48g
    Saturates 1.48g
    Fibre 1.0g
    Sodium 0.047g
  • rsmueller
    rsmueller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am pretty careful with protein shakes as many of them have over 300 or 400 calories per serving. I use CytoSport, the makers of Muscle Milk. Comes in Vanilla, Chocolate and lots of other flavors I think. http://www.cytosport.com/products/muscle-milk/muscle-milk-powder I use one scoop of powder mixed with water. Its about 150 calories for a one scoop serving with 16 grams of protein. Tastes fine for me and a good amount of protein and vitamins. Fairly low in carbs as well.
  • chunkadoo
    chunkadoo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like Whole Foods' 365 Whey Protein Powder. It's 80cal per serving and blends well because it's super fine. I grab the random protein shakes at Trader Joe's sometimes too (look carefully there's one that's 100 cal and one that's triple that, with nearly the same packaging)
  • dbadestchik
    Options
    Hello, i do protein shakes every morning, from Herbalife, i also add fiber and do it with vanilla soy milk it's very satisfying :smile:
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm using Herbalife too for breakfast and lunch and healthly dinner and over 12 weeks have lost just over 12 lbs which is fab for me. I am finding that using it in conjunction with MFP where I track at around 1200 cals per day, keep up my protein levels and eat back some exercise calories at the weekend works for me.
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Use to use Herbalife. They are good. However, I now use Sci-MX chocolate diet shake with almond milk.

Maximuscle Diet tastes good too.
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Since May 2006 I have had the Chocolate Champion Pure Whey Stack in my morning cup of coffee as my breakfast. It doesn't throw up that awful "whey smell" in your nose as some can. It has (in a 1.6 scoop serving) 195 calories, 35 g protein, 3g. fat and 18g calcium.