Pancakes without butter/oil

Options
C12254
C12254 Posts: 198
Were doing pancakes for dinner (box- dont harp on me). imm replacing the oil with applesauce but what can i replace for the butter?

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The butter on top of the pancakes, or the mix calls for both oil and butter in the batter?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    For the butter on top, just don't use it. If it's butter in the batter, I would use the butter especially if you are already cutting the oil. You've already saved some fat and calories and by cutting the butter you would sacrifice more of the taste. We use peanut butter on top of our pancakes with or without syrup. It tastes amazing and adds protein. I use PB2 so less calories, sugar and fat than normal PB.
  • trowdawg
    trowdawg Posts: 2
    Options
    Just made myself a pancake for lunch using one small mashed banana mixed with a beaten egg and cooked in a non stick pan. Looks good.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Ginger spread from The Ginger People (I get mine at Abe's Market, online.) I love Kodiak Cakes whole wheat, oats, and honey flapjack mix with a tablespoon or two of ginger spread, no oil, butter or syrup needed.
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You could try my favorite pancake substitute EVER:
    High Protein Yogurt Oatcakes!

Makes one serving of three pancakes (3-4”)

Calories – 136
    Fat – 12 calories, 2g
    Fiber – 1g
    Protein – 11g
    Carbs – 21g
    Sugars – 9g

Ingredients:
    • 1/4 cup instant, one-minute, old fashioned, or steel cut Quaker oats*
    • 1.5 egg whites
    • ¼ cup fat-free Greek Style yogurt
    • 1/16 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/16 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 tsp agave nectar, honey, maple syrup or sugar
    • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We like "complete" pancake mixes, just add water. For the topping, I use spray butter but it doesn't hurt to use just a T of butter, especially if you use the new 50% reduced fat butters. I also like the sugar free pancake syrups but you can top with any type of fruit or honey, peanut butter, etc. Also, it's not a crispy waffle if you leave out the oil, but a complete mix in a waffle iron taste like a giant donut, very soft on the outside.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I use fruit spread (no added sugar) on my waffles instead of syrup, but I still use butter. Butter is good.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I use lekvar (prune puree) as a substitute.

Simple lekvar recipe: add prunes and water to blender. Blend, adding more water, if necessary, until a thick paste forms.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of light cream cheese on mine, and toss a few frozen strawberries into a bowl, and microwave them until they are soft, them mash them up, and pour on top of my pancakes.