MEGA CARROT post everything carrots

Options
Gabrielm80
Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
When did it happen that carrots became to be just a rectangular stick used to shovel ranch dip with. What happened to all those great carrot inspired dishes of church pot lucks past? I like raw carrots but I am no bugs bunny. I need more, I need inspiration. I have a juicer that makes carrot juice and carrot pulp. So my prep options are wide open. Looking for a savory and sweat desserts, side dishes, even main course. If we come together we can pull carrots out of the wing baskets and give it the headline spot.
What are your favorite carrot recipes?
Pictures if you got em.
Recipe if you don't mind
And an open mind to everyone else's ideas.
And a sense of humor helps everything go down easier

Replies

• jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this one and it's DELICIOUS.

Maple Orange Glazed Carrots

1 pound carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
    2 Tbsp butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1/2 teaspoon orange zest
    Pinch cinnamon

1. In a large, wide sauté pan, heat the butter on medium heat until melted. Add the carrots and toss to coat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the maple syrup. Cook for a minute more, then add the orange juice. Cover the pan and cook for 3 more minutes.

2. Uncover the pan and increase the heat to medium high. Stir the carrots occasionally, and cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.

3. Sprinkle cinnamon over the carrots, and stir in the orange zest.

Serves 4

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/maple_orange_glazed_carrots/
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Carrot and apple slaw (calorie content depends on the amount of apples and carrots you add)

2 medium apples (cored then peeled or not, your call)
    2-4 ounces of carrots (peeled or scrubbed, your call)
    1 - 3 oz of some sort of orange juice (I use orange, orange-pineapple, orange mango... - the citrus keeps the apple from browning)

Shred the apples and carrots. Throw them in a bowl with everything else you might be adding as well as the juice. If using raisins, let them sit in the juice for a bit to plump up a bit before adding the apple and carrots. That's it. it's better if it sits in the fridge for a bit.

Optional: adding chopped pieces of fresh orange with the pith and membrane removed.
    Optional: add some shredded beets, if that's your thing
    Raisins / currants / sultanas (optional)
    Walnuts (optional)
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    >>>>boiled and drained carrots dipped in balsamic vinegar mixed with ketchup. So delicious for the healthy people who gave up fries years ago like me. =)

also, carrots shredded with a spiralizer (veggie pasta maker), with vinaigrette dressing, honey mustard, black pepper, and lemon juice.

So bomb :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There are also some amazing recipes out there, some more low-cal than others, for something called Halwa (not to be confused with Halava, the sesame seed sweet). It's a sweet dish involving carrots stewed in cinnamon, cardamon, and sometimes condensed milk, although I've seen it without condensed milk. I don't have a good recipe and just look for one whenever I need to make it. :)

Also check out soup recipes, especially those which allow you to use the juicer and the pulp.
    - Carrot ginger soup
    - Carrot bisque
    - Senegalese peanut soup - sub carrots for sweet potato
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Chicken!

Carrots
    chickpeas
    raisins
    dried apricots (optional)
    chicken drumsticks or quarters

simmer together with salt, pepper, cumin cinnamon and a little bit of honey until chicken is done. Serve over rice. SO GOOD.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    Moroccan Chicken!

Carrots
    chickpeas
    raisins
    dried apricots (optional)
    chicken drumsticks or quarters

simmer together with salt, pepper, cumin cinnamon and a little bit of honey until chicken is done. Serve over rice. SO GOOD.

I make something with a garam Marsala blend that seems really similar. It is so good
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    I use carrot pulp from the juicer in place of bread crumbs in meat loaf. So your favorite recipe omit bread crumbs. Thinking about using the carrot juice and making a sauce with tomato paste to replace the ketchup
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My kids and husband devour these everytime I make them. Carrot cake pancakes from Cooking Light.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-pancakes-10000001949746/

you need to shred your own carrots... the preshred carrots from the store are too dry.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    YUMMMM----> Baked Horseradish Carrots

Ingredients
    20 baby carrots, cut into julienne strips
    2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons grated onion
    2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Dash pepper
    Dash paprika

Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon liquid. Place carrots in a 2-cup baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, horseradish, salt, pepper and reserved liquid. Pour over carrots. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like to use my julienne peeler and make a huge mound of raw carrot "pasta"...then I top it with my very veggie sauce. Sometimes I like to julienne both carrot & zucchini. YUM!

Very Veggie "Spaghetti"

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    nigella lawson's rainbow rooms carrot and peanut salad is an absolute topper!

main.jpg

"4 medium carrots (peeled)
    75 grams salted peanuts
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons groundnut oil
    6 drops sesame oil

"Grate the carrots very coarsely, push them through the french-fry cutter in the processor, or just cut them into skinny batons.
    In a bowl, combine them with the peanuts and then add the remaining ingredients.
    I like to eat this, straight out of the Pyrex pudding basin I mix it in, held up high, under my chin, for ease of eating-action. In fact, the only way I stop eating it is by having someone prise the bowl out of my hands."
  • doublethinandtonic
    Options

I was going to post this but you beat me to it. It's sooo good.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I adore roasted carrots. They are delicious, and it's hard to stop myself eating the whole pan.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/everyday-meals/roasted-vegetable-dishes/garlic-roasted-carrots/
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

I like to eat this, straight out of the Pyrex pudding basin I mix it in, held up high, under my chin, for ease of eating-action. In fact, the only way I stop eating it is by having someone prise the bowl out of my hands."

I'm going to try this at some point, just because of your description.