Too much water at a time?

Options
I drink a ton of water throughout the day, sometimes I'll even just quickly gulp down 2 or 3 cups at once just to make sure I drink a ton of it. Recently a friend told me that it's useless to drink more than a cup of water per hour, as your body can't actually use anymore than that and all you'll do it pee it out, and it won't actually be effective. I've never heard this before but it sort of makes sense. Has anyone heard this before, and what's your opinion on it?

Replies

• Sumiro
    Sumiro Posts: 11
    Options
    I never understand why people say "dont eat/drink (whatever) because you'll just pee it out". If you are peeing it out, you absorbed it, it worked it's way through your cells, and your kidneys are gettting rid of your body's accumulated waste with it. Drinking water is good, whether it's all at once or a bit at a time. Just be sure that you don't go too far, a person can actually die from overconsumption of water. But seriously, it has to be a LOT of water to do that. If you are showing signs of electrolyte imbalance (typically hyponatremia - muscle weakness or twitching, feeling of pins and needles on your skin, nausea, vomiting, confusion, headache, somnolence) stop drinking and get yourself to a doctor.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Peeing it out is good! You drink it, it runs through your system and comes out the other end with all the unnecessary junk it's picked up along the way. Like running a vinegar water mix through the dishwasher to clean it up of all accumulated gunk.

If you are drinking, say 8-10 cups a day, you are doing great. Depending on how much you sweat, you can drink even more and be fine. You surely aren't hurting yourself unless you really, REALLY go overboard.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    See this I dr oz. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/how-read-your-pee,

I will also drink 2 cups at a time, especially when I have a hard time remembering to drink throughout the day
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Drink water, or any other beverage, when you get thirsty. Your body will tell you when to drink a beverage, and how much to drink. It's called "thirst."