Mom offered gastric sleeve!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Your decision is your's but I just wanted to throw in that I'm 5'1 and my heaviest was 245 and I've managed to get down to 180 without surgery. It's hard and a lot slower, but not impossible. Also, it's cheaper and I find that I'm making life changes that you would need to make anyways if you are to sustain your loss. The surgery isn't sure thing and it doesn't mean you don't risk gaining again,
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    It is really up to you. Personally, I don't think you need the surgery. I started at 260lbs and I'm 5'4", added exercise to get to 218lbs, and now with the help of MFP I am down to 185lbs. If I lose about 10 or 11lbs I won't be considered obese anymore. Surgery wasn't the right solution for me, but it might be for you.

My tips that will probably help with whatever path you choose:
    The reason I am creating this post is because I’ve had a few requests for tips regarding weight loss. I don't know why people are asking me for tips considering I still have a lot to lose. :laugh: I am more than happy to share my opinion though and if you don’t agree, well that’s fine to. I make no guarantee that what I am doing will work for you.

Things I use to help me:

:heart: Heart Rate Monitor – I only use this for cardio workouts, because they aren’t meant for much else. I own a cheap Pyle Sports Heart Rate Watch (with chest strap) that I got off of amazon for $26. Polar HRM seem to be highly recommended, but are higher in cost.

:heart: FitBit Zip – I was originally looking to get the One or Flex models, but my husband surprised me with a Zip. I wear it all day, to get a better idea of my total calorie burn for the day. I love that it syncs with MFP and will adjust my calorie goals based on how active I was for the day. It’s extremely tiny and I clip it to my bra (on the part between the two cups).

:heart: Kitchen Scale – I only recently got my kitchen scale, but it is pretty much a must have if you want to be accurate with your food logs.

Exercise:

:heart: Reasons to Exercise:
    :drinker: Cardio – Is good for heart health, endurance, and will help burn some extra calories.
    :drinker: Strength – Is good for body appearance, strength, and will help burn fat (helps maintain LBM)

:heart: Rest Days – Are important. You want to take at least 1 per week to allow your body time to repair and prevent injury.

:heart: Work out Length – You don’t need to spend hours working out each day. I work out anywhere from 20- 90 mins 5-6 days a week. It all depends on how I’m feeling and how busy I am. I recently started Stronglifts 5x5, which takes about 30 mins 3x a week. The rest of my workouts are cardio or circuit training.

Food:

:heart: “Good”/”Bad” Food - I don’t believe in this. To me it is utter nonsense. Food is Food. Some foods provide more nutrients for very little calories while others have a lot of calories and very little nutrients.

:heart: Calorie Goals – Should be reasonable and easy to maintain. Find what works for you. I think it’s probably easier to start with a higher calorie number and work your way down until you are losing at a rate that you are happy with (and that’s healthy). You might end up surprised by how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

:heart: Metabolic Issues – For those who have medical conditions that affect their metabolism, I’d suggest discussing things like weight loss with a dietitian. That way you can come up with a plan that will work for you. All the online calculators and stuff in that category will probably be very inaccurate for you.

:heart: Vitamins – I take a multivitamin daily. I am actually going to switch from taking a GNC Multi to one I found at Walmart that is very similar to the GNC one, but only a quarter of the cost($5 vs $20). I take a multi because I found without it I was very lethargic. The one I’m going to start taking as soon as I run out of the ones from GNC is “One Source Multivitamin: Women’s.”

:heart: Net Goal - MFP is designed to give you a NET goal to eat at. This means you are supposed to eat your exercise calorie burn. Depending on your accuracy of calculating your calorie burn, you might only want to eat 50-75% back. Another way to look at is:

MFP estimated daily burn (no exercise) - 2500
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2000 (no exercise)
    exercise burn of - 500
    MFP estimated daily burn (with exercise) - 3000
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2500 (or net 2000)

Tracking Progress:

:heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

:heart: Measurements – This is a great way to judge progress. I take measurements once a month. Even if your weight seems to go up, if your measurements are going down, then you are moving in the right direction. For accuracy you want to try and measure the same spots every time. Places I measure:
    :drinker: Neck
    :drinker: Upper Arm – largest part
    :drinker: Forearm – largest part
    :drinker: Wrist – smallest part
    :drinker: Bust
    :drinker: Ribs Under bust
    :drinker: Waist – where you bend (usually the smallest area above belly button, but below rib cage)
    :drinker: Abdomen @ Navel
    :drinker: Hips – largest part
    :drinker: Thigh – largest part
    :drinker: Calf – largest part

:heart: Pictures – Progress pictures are great. I like to take them once a month and at the start/end of any workout programs I do. You may not see the difference in the mirror, but comparing pictures will show you what the mirror does not.

:heart: Body Fat % - This is another great weigh to track progress. The electronic devices that track it can actually be affected by how much water you did or did not drink. For this reason, I prefer body fat calipers. I got a cheap one off amazon.com ($4 w/free shipping). This is also another thing you only want to track once a month or so. Like measurements, if this number goes down (even if the scale stays the same or goes up) than you are making progress.

Everything you posted here is awesome! I think I am going print this and put it on my office wall!
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    As someone who had gastric bypass, and has had several complications, I can tell you it's neither the "easy way out" nor the right thing for everyone! I say go to the consultation, even better, if the Dr. isn't part of a Bariatric Center Of Excellence, find one who is. They give "full disclosure", before you even start scheduling the pre op stuff. I will also say that generally speaking, you have to have a BMI of 40 or more, OR a BMI of 35 with co-morbidities to qualify for bariatric surgery. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Knowledge is power!

There is a forum called renewed reflections where you can research and ask questions of 100s of people who have had bariatric surgeries...or opted not to but still hang out on there. It's not the group on here, just do a search for it and check it out.

As I said, I've had several complications. I made the final decision to have surgery knowing fully well it could happen. For ME it was the right one, even with the complications, I'd do it again. Only YOU can determine if it would be the right one for you. No matter what you decide, I wish you luck, and fully support and encourage you!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was offered the gastric sleeve surgery by my doctor. I declined, because there are too many complications and no way to undo the surgery, once it is done.

I have 4 female relatives and one 25 year old friend who all had gastric sleeve surgery. Only one of those women has kept her weight off, and she has multiple medical issues related to that surgery. She also has bowel issues that are a constant embarassment for her. She does not eat with other people, because she feels...in her words...'like a freak'.

One sister-in-law nearly died during the sleeve procedure, went into a coma for weeks and still has problems, though procedure was never completed. She has never lost a pound. Now, she has to live with the damage caused by that botched surgery.

As for the other 3 women, they all lost weight very rapidly; and they all put that weight right back on. Two of women are back to their original weight and more. They still have issues related to that surgery, and they do not recommend that others get that procedure done.

The young friend had surgery only 2 years ago. She lost over 100 pounds in 8 months, and she has putting all of that weight back on in the following year. She complains that the surgery was a costly mistake. She is now divorced with an infant to raise. She admits that she thought the surgery would save her marriage. Any psychologist would have realized that this young woman needed more than just surgery to fix her problems.

None of these women were willing to make the commitment to low calorie eating. All of them expected the surgery to be a quick fix solution to their lifelong problems.

No one should have that surgery, unless they fully understand the risks, the complicatons, the lifelong effects of a non-reversible organ surgery...and the commitment that they are making for the rest of the life.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My sister was considering the surgery and went to a consultation. I am not sure what the surgeon said to her but she changed her mind about having the surgery, but I do know her husband was against the surgery so that could also have been the reason. That being said I know of two people where the gastric sleeve was successful. A niece had the surgery and lost the weight without issue and has kept if off. The other person a friend of mine lost the weight but she has had issues with being able to hold down even the smallest amount of food and was constantly spitting up when she ate. I hate to say it but it was disgusting. She did lose the weight and has kept it off also.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My sister was considering the surgery and went to a consultation. I am not sure what the surgeon said to her but she changed her mind about having the surgery, but I do know her husband was against the surgery so that could also have been the reason. That being said I know of two people where the gastric sleeve was successful. A niece had the surgery and lost the weight without issue and has kept if off. The other person a friend of mine lost the weight but she has had issues with being able to hold down even the smallest amount of food and was constantly spitting up when she ate. I hate to say it but it was disgusting. She did lose the weight and has kept it off also.
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I believe your mom's heart is in the right place when she offered to pay for the gastric sleeve. Since she struggles with her weight too she knows how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off and I'm sure she wants to spare you the pain of going through life obese. Please don't be offended - I think her offer was out of love.

I am 55 years old and have been fat all my life, even as a child. I considered various procedures over the years - gastric bypass, lap band, etc. and even got so far as scheduling a consultation once. But I never went through with it because in my opinion, it is all about being in control, even with the surgery. People who think that the surgery is the easy way out are wrong. You have to watch every bite that you put in your mouth and even certain healthy foods are off limits because they can make you sick. Surgery of any kind is risky, especially if you are overweight. It might be the right choice for some people but I don't feel it is the right for me. I have lost many, many pounds over the years, gained them back, and then felt like a failure. So here I am once again. But it doesn't matter how many times you fall -- all that matters is how many times you get back up. I'm getting back up. :)

Good luck to you. You can do this. You are worth it.
    I agree. Try not to be upset or offended. Us moms always try to make things easier for our children and dont like to see them struggle so I believe your mom made this offer out of love. Not that it would be an easy out (you still have to be disciplined) but maybe she feels like it would be easier for you to go that route.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The surgery may or may not be right for you but there is nothing wrong with going for the consultation and learning more about it.. I know many people who have been successful with the sleeve surgery and I have had it myself and it's been the right answer for me... Twenty years ago though I wouldn't have been able to do it because I wasn't in the right frame of mind then. I agree with everyone who says DON'T DO IT if you don't think your head is right concerning food.... if your head is straight and you're getting it done to help you with the PHYSICAL aspect of hunger and being able to be physically satisfied with smaller portions then you can be very successful... but like others have said, the surgery is just a tool and if have emotional issues with food, you can find a way to still consume a lot of calories even with 75% of your stomach missing.

Nobody has the right to judge you for having the surgery or for choosing NOT to have it. It's a deeply personal decision that will affect you for the rest of your life so take your time and learn all there is to learn about it and try less invasive options first if you don't feel like you have already exhausted them.

Like I said, the sleeve was the absolute right decision for me because I've taken care of the emotional side of things. I enjoy going out to restaurants, I eat small portions, but it's still enough to satisfy me and I've had absolutely no ill effects physically, nutritionally or mentally.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve last November (2012) I was 50 years old, my only regret is that I didn't do it when I was in my 20's. !!!!! It is the best thing I have ever did in my life except ask Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. it isn't the easy way out and you still have to work at it, but it's a tool that will help you stay on track.... before I would start a diet but could never stay with it, now I stay with it and have lost over 90 pounds so far. You're the only one that can make that decision. I had no problems with it whatsoever!!!
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    :smile: Honestly it needs to be your decison and on that you can live with but as far as it being cheating if you had WLS, I would like to input on that...

Addictions rather its eating, gambling, alcohol, drugs, sex...No matter the addiction an addiction is an addiction and intervention of some sort needs to be done to over come these issues. Interventions are not needed for everyone but do work when the person seriously desires change. My opinion and it's okay if you or others disagree but having weight loss surgery is no more cheating than an alcoholic going to rehab would be considered cheating. The only way rehab or weight loss surgery will be a life long change is if the person having it done or going to rehab makes their mind up for change to take place in their life. A person can be in rehab for 6 months and get and go right back to the same habits. WLS is a helper but it's only life changing if the person makes changes in their eating habits. There's a period of time after WLS that you can't eat certain foods and you can obviously only eat smaller portions BUT the time that you can eat whatever you want does come and you have to be in a place where you have made you're mind up that you're NOT going back to the same habits. I had WLS July 16, 2012 and during the first several months I couldn't eat carbs much at all but did good with meat. I used that time to learn about carb intake and protein intake and decised I could live with eating this way. I took advantage of that time and it's been almost a year and this is a life changing journey for me and a way of eating. My husband got on board with eating low carb/high protein the first part of June and has lost over 20 lbs. This isn't a diet but a lifestyle change. Now this way may not be for you and a person that has WLS doesn't have to eat this way but this is a way that I have chosen and works for me. WLS can be life changing if a person desires it to be. I hope you make a decision that you can life with for life that will be beneficial for you and your health. No matter what way you chose to lose weight, YOU can do it and be healthier and feel better.

Excellent advice!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You mom's heart is in the right place, so please don't be mad at her. This is an incredibly personal decision. I had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago and have done great....not a single regret. I would make sure that if you consider surgery, do take into consideration that you are of child bearing age, and that needs to be discussed with your doc. Extreme weightloss during pregnancy is not a good thing.
  • losingit413
    losingit413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A guy who works with my husband had gastric sleeve surgery about 5 months ago. He had major complications and hasn't been able to go back to work. He had a bad infection and the stomach ruptured. He had two extra surgeries to repair the problems. Our insurance wouldn't cover the original surgery so he paid out of pocket. They also won't pay for any of the post surgery care. Crazy.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Only you can make the decision. Go to the consultation and then see how you feel after that. Make sure the surgeon is from a Center of Excellence program. I had gastric sleeve WLS on 6/11/12. I lost 47 pre op and have lost 99 post op for a total of 146 pounds lost. My only regret is that I waited till I was 48 years old to have the surgery. I had been obese all my life. I weighed 11 pound when born and have been fat my entire life till now. It is a serious surgery. It is surgery done on your stomach and not your head so if you have head hunger issues those need to be worked on pre op. It isn't taking the easy way out and is hard work when loosing the weight and when maintaining the weight loss. I can eat anything and do not have issues. I can go out to eat and just eat small portions and take the rest home for 2 more meals. I didn't have any complications. Make sure your program has a nutritionist that works with pre op and post op. A bariatric physical therapist to help you with exercise pre op and post op. A pysch. who will work with you on head hunger and food issues pre op and post op. A surgeon that you see pre op and post op and for the rest of your life. A program that does labs on you at 1 month post op, 3 months post op, 6 months post op, 1 year post op and then yearly post op. A program that if you have an issue after surgery will see you ASAP. It took me 2 months to get team approval to get my insurance paper work and get a surgery date. I would be leary of programs that give you a sugery date right away. Many issues need pre op work done to make you successful post op.
    Good luck!
  • jpetroze
    jpetroze Posts: 1
    Options
    It is up to you. I had gastric sleeve and have been happy. I didn't have any other medical issues other then being over weight. It is NOT an easy way out but a tool to help you. I still have to work out and it is a slow process as well. I honestly wish I would of had the surgery years ago.
  • scopetrek
    scopetrek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    that is a drastic step. keep doing what you do. look at some youtube surgeries and see its not a fun procedure and it messes up everything in your system...its best not to do it.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep going, I started at 355 and last Monday I weighed 311. I always thought about that, but I watched a British show on youtube, Supersize vs Superskinny and the doctor said you shouldn't do surgery unless it's your last chance.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So many things others have said are so very true. Don't be upset by your mom, she loves you and is offering to help, its what we do. This is your personal decision, there is no right or wrong answer here, its completely up to you. Do the research. The consultation isn't a bad idea, it will give you information. It may not be the best time for you. Maturity may really play a factor here.

For myself, I did the gastric bypass 8 years ago. Did great, for years. Then, had a high stress year, abused the tool I had and gained back 60% of my weight. So here I am again. There is a whole group on MFP dedicated to those whom have regained after WLS.

Some advice if you decide to go forward. Get into a support group, there are a lot of emotional reasons why we eat, and the WLS won't fix that. Research your surgeon well. Get stats, how many complications have they have with their patients? Have they ever lost one due to complications of the surgery. Not all surgeons are created equal.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep going, I started at 355 and last Monday I weighed 311. I always thought about that, but I watched a British show on youtube, Supersize vs Superskinny and the doctor said you shouldn't do surgery unless it's your last chance.

Off topic here but I love that show
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the posters - don't be *upset* by your mom, but maybe see this as a wake up, as a point of discussion with her ( you say that she also has weight problems, maybe you can work on this together?)

My gut feeling is no, but here us my suggestion: take a year, dedicate this year to becoming a healthier * you*. Read up on what you need to do for this journey. This web site has great advice and support. Find a good and exercise combo that works for you. And just do it. But *really* do it - be focused and committed, log everything, etc. At the end of one year, you can revisit the surgery option. Remember- surgery is not a one time fixit tool, it will mean a life time commitment anyway, with the possible added complications that surgery could bring
  • cfranz7715
    cfranz7715 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve in March of this year. I also have been fat all my life.... I have no regrets so far and am very pleased with the results. It's a personal choice you'll need to decide for yourself. The surgery is NOT a fix all... you still need to follow food and exercise program. The surgery is a tool! It helps you to eat less. If you eat less... but eat the wrong things it won't work. Again, It's a TOOL! I am open to any and all questions you might have! Good luck!