Why don't guys do Zumba?

Options

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I see some men doing regular Zumba.

WhenI do Aqua Zumba and African Zumba, I'll try to remember if any mem were there.

But, in general, you see more men in the weight room and more women doing cardio/classes.

Wait wait wait there's African Zumba!? Holy smokes! That sounds more exciting than regular Zumba.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    #1) Zumba instructor better be hot
    #2) I would try it if wifey really wanted me to and she joined me

I just have wayyy too much pride to do Zumba. Call me close-minded, insecure, etc but it just makes me feel much better about myself to bench 220 than to dance for an hour. I know I'm mirroring sentiments that have already been said, but it's just the male psyche. No reason to fight it.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I do Zumba and i've always enjoyed it. Some of my pics on my profile are me in Zumba class. I've always enjoyed dancing and I have absolutely no shame. I don't care if I look like a bear getting electrocuted, I enjoy it. But I also do step aerobics (another generally all woman class) so i'm probably the odd one. I think most men just feel it's not "manly" because it is dancing and you are shaking your butt, chest, etc.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would do it but Im a little too busy picking up really heavy **** whilst blasting Hatebreed through my headphones.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I like more than a good Zumba session followed by a romcom. Then my wife and I cuddle whilst we talk about our 'feelings'
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would do it but Im a little too busy picking up really heavy **** whilst blasting Hatebreed through my headphones.

HIGH FIVE :drinker: :drinker: Eeerr I mean...fist pump? :laugh: Either way I'm with you....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Dance classes are kind of sissy.
    Guys tend to steer themselves to sports, jogging and weight lifting.
    Well...you asked.....:flowerforyou:

I must be a guy then :laugh: <running and weight lifting is all I do>
    Oh really?:bigsmile:
    Seriously, more guys should but won't.
    Now you know why.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Zumba classes remind me of those aerobics classes from the 80s. Ick.

I'd rather be running or kicking/punching a bag. ;)
  • scottcopeland18
    Options
    I go to Zumba with Gorica. been doing it for a little over a year. got lots of mussel toning. lost 40 pounds and 3 inch's off my waist. i'm the only guy in the class most of the time. that don't bother me at all I just see all the ladies and my self as zumba students.:) it's lots of fun while it's really good for you. cardio, toning gives me extra energy. I am the kind of guy that likes dancing. sober. I'm a married family man. I tend to do a little break dancing here and there and the instructor don't mind adds little fun:)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this for group fitness classes in general. Unless it's an abs class, or boot camp, (and occasionally yoga or hip hop choreography), guys seldom attend group fitness classes.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    -Feminine dance moves
    -lots of guys can't dance well
    -ego

I actually like going to many types of group fitness classes, in which I am usually the only guy and I certainly don't mind the company, and I've become quite comfortable going to things like Group Power, Spinning, Yoga, Ripped, but Zumba seems to be at a whole other level that I'm just not comfortable with. Its probably the most feminine class at any gym. oh wait, there is a new one called Barre, which incorporates ballet movements for lower body toning, that one might take the cake.

How could I forget spinning!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Because jump rope > Zumba for cardio BY FAR.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Dance classes are kind of sissy.
    Guys tend to steer themselves to sports, jogging and weight lifting.
    Well...you asked.....:flowerforyou:

The issue with this statement is that I see more guys regularly going to a ballet class than to Zumba
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My favorite zumba class is lead by a male! He's from Venezuela and he does the moves in a masculine way. It's quite sexy... ;)
  • natb197
    natb197 Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL!
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    -Feminine dance moves
    -ego

I actually like going to many types of group fitness classes, in which I am usually the only guy and I certainly don't mind the company, and I've become quite comfortable going to things like Group Power, Spinning, Yoga, Ripped, but Zumba seems to be at a whole other level that I'm just not comfortable with. Its probably the most feminine class at any gym. oh wait, there is a new one called Barre, which incorporates ballet movements for lower body toning, that one might take the cake.

Barre is amazing. It's seriously the hardest class I've ever taken. It's a full body workout and for two days after a class it's hard to sit down. I also feel like I've been kicked in the ribs repeatedly my core is so sore. Don't knock it until you try it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Guys would do it if it worked.
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Same reason why I don't like complicated step aerobics. I'm sure you can get a good cardio workout from them, but there's so much upfront investment in learning the choreography. Nah. I'd rather do something like Les Mills Body Combat - IMO it's a lot easier to get into if you're a guy with average coordination and memory.
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    -Feminine dance moves
    -ego

Pretty much nails it, as far as I am concerned. There was a time when I did group cardio classes, but it seems like the gyms gave up on guys and feminized aerobics until it morphed into Zumba. Oh well, at least they still offer spinning.