Addicted to Sugar Free V

Options
Says it all really. I am drinking 500ml of the diet v stuff a day. I am aware it's sugar free but I am concerned that I am filling my body with cancer causing chemicals anyway. I have read all the stuff about aspartame and its toxic effects on the body, but as those with an addiction will know, the facts and truths of the matter don't always help!!!

Anyone had a similar issue even with diet coke or something maybe..... what is it im craving (pyschologically its energy, I think I'm waking myself up but I end up crashing and burning) And how did you over come it?

:-)

Replies

• FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Some days I drink diet V, some days I manage to stay away from buying it! I also have an addictive issue with it and some of my friend do too. Although I have found that on days I dont drink it, I dont crash after lunch, so I try to drink more green tea on my days off and im trying to limit it to days I know where im gunna be pretty busy or if I didnt get much sleep cause of kids the night before. I haveno idea whats in it, but its possible to break it.... just avoid the shop!
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    just stop. now. you will feel rough for a few days, but then will start feeling better.
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same, totally addicted to Sugar Free V! ..it’s all I think about on the drive into work and I have one every day, I even get headaches if I don’t have one. I try to convince myself that it’s not that bad if I drink a lot of water through the day, but I know it’s not good for me. But for only a few calories it helps suppress my appetite and get me through the morning. I’ve never been into coffee but cannot survive without my V haha
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Aspartame does not cause cancer. If you want to cut back because you're investing too much, then that's one thing. But there is no reason to stop drinking it if you're worried about cancer.

All studies done on aspartame that show negative results used genetically altered mice who are more prone to develop tumors. They were also fed more aspartame than you could ever consume by drinking V. You would need to drink 30 cans or so to expose yourself to a comparable amount of aspartame, but you would probably die before that from water poisoning or something.
  • Bengal_tiger
    Options
    I feel so much better now!!!! :-) I'm glad I am not the only one and I am glad that my cancer fears are not warranted. Im not spending a lot of money on it, just worried about the health issues, so I might aim to cut right back instead of give up, i am sure I can do that! thanks so much everyone!
  • FaerieCae
    Options
    Just curious..... who funded the studies?
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what is V? I am using a lot of Mio drops and such in my water instead of drinking sodas, I get to adjust the amount I use to flavor my water a lot or a little.
  • FaerieCae
    Options
    V= Energy drink, like redbull
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Just curious..... who funded the studies?

A mix of private research centers and government funding.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/aspartame912.pdf
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had/have a diet coke addiction, at my worst it was all I would drink and I was having at least 1 litre a day, I knew that even though it was 0 cal it was still bad for me, especially for digestive health, and before I fell pregnant a couple of years ago I used to drink 2-3 cans of Diet Redbull a day too but I cut that out when I found out I was pregnant.

I try not to worry about 'cancer causing' foods and drinks because if I didn't eat or do anything that is supposed to cause cancer i'd be living off organic salad and tepid spring water (if you google List of things the Daily Mail says causes cancer it brings up a HUGE list of things including tap water, candle light dinners and worcester sauce, its ridiculous).

I dont think it is particularly the V that you are addicted to, it will be the caffine, try gradually reducing your intake of V and other sources of caffine and try to replace with flavoured waters or even better with plain water.

I don't drink diet coke everyday now and I try drink more water (which is really hard for me) and if I feel like I need a caffine boost I have a coffee which is much friendlier to my tummy, although when I tried to stop drinking diet coke altogether at first, I got the worst headaches from caffine withdrawl, it was just something I had to tough out and after a few days the headaches stopped.

I have to keep myself in check though because I know I could easily fall back into my old habit of drinking diet coke daily.

Hope this helps

x
  • Bengal_tiger
    Options
    Some days I drink diet V, some days I manage to stay away from buying it! I also have an addictive issue with it and some of my friend do too. Although I have found that on days I dont drink it, I dont crash after lunch, so I try to drink more green tea on my days off and im trying to limit it to days I know where im gunna be pretty busy or if I didnt get much sleep cause of kids the night before. I haveno idea whats in it, but its possible to break it.... just avoid the shop!

!! You sound just like me!!!
  • Bengal_tiger
    Options
    I had/have a diet coke addiction, at my worst it was all I would drink and I was having at least 1 litre a day, I knew that even though it was 0 cal it was still bad for me, especially for digestive health, and before I fell pregnant a couple of years ago I used to drink 2-3 cans of Diet Redbull a day too but I cut that out when I found out I was pregnant.

I try not to worry about 'cancer causing' foods and drinks because if I didn't eat or do anything that is supposed to cause cancer i'd be living off organic salad and tepid spring water (if you google List of things the Daily Mail says causes cancer it brings up a HUGE list of things including tap water, candle light dinners and worcester sauce, its ridiculous).

I dont think it is particularly the V that you are addicted to, it will be the caffine, try gradually reducing your intake of V and other sources of caffine and try to replace with flavoured waters or even better with plain water.

I don't drink diet coke everyday now and I try drink more water (which is really hard for me) and if I feel like I need a caffine boost I have a coffee which is much friendlier to my tummy, although when I tried to stop drinking diet coke altogether at first, I got the worst headaches from caffine withdrawl, it was just something I had to tough out and after a few days the headaches stopped.

I have to keep myself in check though because I know I could easily fall back into my old habit of drinking diet coke daily.

Hope this helps

x

Thanks Nicola!! Some great tips there and it is just one of those things isn't it, you know you have to do it and you just need to get off your butt and do it!! lol I appreciate your legthy reply :-)
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    IF im really tired at work Ill but the sugarfree rockstars but those are too costly. At home Ill drink sugar free sweet tea with a fruit punch crystal light mixed in it. Really really good and the tea gives me my energy fix.