Running my first 5k 8/3

Options
I'm a new runner and I signed up for Color Me Rad 8/3. What's a reasonable time goal for a 5k for a new runner? I can maybe run 1-1.5 miles straight right now without stopping.

Replies

• peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i think you should be focused on finishing more than a time goal. Its your first race, enjoy it and just do what you think is the best. The 2nd one is where you look to improve. I did my first 5k walking 99% of it and it took an hour and 11 minutes. But the next one will be better. I say enjoy it and have fun.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Just finish. Enjoy the experience of being in a race and allow yourself to get hooked. You can work on increasing your speed later.
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    Thanks! That actually really helps a lot. I keep stressing out about it.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    i think you should be focused on finishing more than a time goal. Its your first race, enjoy it and just do what you think is the best.

This!

That being said, from what I know, Color Me Rad, like most of the 'color' runs, isn't timed. (Not that you can't time yourself, but still!) Also, if it's like the ones I've done (The Color Run) You'll stop and soak up the color at each of the stations, so you're not going to be doing the typical 5k thing. Catch your breath and run what you can, but the most important thing is that you finish and have fun!
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Running/walking/jogging your first 5K can be an amazing experience! I remember feeling so elated when I crossed the finish line on my first one because I NEVER thought I would run anything in my life!

Just enjoy it and don't focus too much on the time. If you want to work towards a goal in the future you may want to start keeping track of your runs. I use the Nike App on my phone, but there are a lot of apps and gadgets out there that can help to keep track of your distance/time. Over time, if you keep at it, you'll see that your time/distance will improve and that will help to motivate you.

Congratulations again!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your only goal for your first 5K is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

Train consistently leading up to the run (it's not a race, they're not timed.....just for fun) and trust your training. You'll have a blast!