The 1200 mission?

Options
NancyKhuu
NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
I'm 20yo, 107lb, 5"2'. Everytime I plug my numbers in other calories calculator it pops out like 1800 cal per day. But when I use myfitnesspal apps it sets me at 1200 regardless of my weight goal (I'm not looking to lose weight, however). I think that's because of my height. The problem is, I can't do 1200. I have to eat at least 1500 and up. There are days I eat 2000. Then there are days I try to keep my 1200 cal goal just so the next day I'd feel so hungry I end up eating 2000... :( it's like a vicious cycle. Anyone has the same problem?

Replies

• TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This site/app, while a great tool, is FAR from perfect. You will see alot of us that will attest to the fact that no adult should eat or net 1200 calories unless fasting or doing some short term very well crafted techniques. Based on what you've said, I don't understand why you're trying to hit 1200? Just because MFP said so? Screw that if so. Do you want to gain weight or build strength or what?
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 102lbs. MFP tells me to ear 1570 calories to maintain my weight and I always eat back all of my exercise calories within a calories or two of my goal everyday.

EDIT: and 25 yrs old
  • NancyKhuu
    Options
    This site/app, while a great tool, is FAR from perfect. You will see alot of us that will attest to the fact that no adult should eat or net 1200 calories unless fasting or doing some short term very well crafted techniques. Based on what you've said, I don't understand why you're trying to hit 1200? Just because MFP said so? Screw that if so. Do you want to gain weight or build strength or what?

Thank you for your reply. My weight is fine I think. I don't actually go with weight (I stop weighting myself regularly) and go by look. Basically all I want is to gain some muscles and definitions. I just don't know if I feel hungry because I didn't eat enough or because I didn't yet get used to the right amount I'm supposed to eat.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can set daily goals manually instead of letting MFP automatically set them for you.
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine came back with 1310 and that's way too low for me.

I found my maintenance calorie requirement (2400) over a few weeks last year, and then I dialed it back from there. If my goal is to drop 1 lb per week I know that I need to run at a 3500 calorie deficit for the week, so dropping 500 calories below my maintenance level on average every day results in that 1 lb loss. ~1900 calories does that - for me. Drop it to 1600 and I'll see ~1.5 lb per week.

As I lost weight my maintenance requirement changed. As I added muscle, the number changed too, so I was forever adjusting.

I've not found any site's calorie estimate to match what actually worked for me. Personally, knowing what my body requires to maintain a weight was/is key. It took a bit of trial and error, but once I had it, that was very helpful.

Btw - I found that my weight training was very important. I continued eating well and doing cardio, but when I stopped doing weight training I found my weight started to rise again. My maintenance level changed. It's amazing how our body composition, not just activity and diet, impacts the total calorie requirement.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You don't look like you need to lose weight. 1200 calories is rock bottom and most people shouldn't be eating that little even if they are trying to lose weight. If you trying to tone up, you should be eating at maintenance with some strength training and even up your calories from there if you want to gain more muscle. Being toned is about having a low bodyfat percentage, which means having more muslce and less fat. You can get toned by adding on lean mass or losing fat while preserving as much muscle as possible while restricting calories.
  • NancyKhuu
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 102lbs. MFP tells me to ear 1570 calories to maintain my weight and I always eat back all of my exercise calories within a calories or two of my goal everyday.

MFP sets me at 1200 at light activity level. Even if I set at the highest level it's 1370...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

MFP sets me at 1200 at light activity level. Even if I set at the highest level it's 1370...

What weight loss goal did you go with?

At lightly active, MFP sets my goal at 1460 calories, to lose 1/2 pound per week. And I'm 5'0" You need to change it to maintain, rather than lose, since you said you don't want to lose weight :wink:

Also keep in mind that, even if you set it to active, MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories. I have found that, when I take those into account, my MFP calorie goals are actually a lot closer to the TDEE -15% or whichever calculators on other sites.