Now they're saying Omega 3 is linked to cancer?? (prostate)

Options
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2359466/Taking-omega-3-fish-oil-supplements-increase-risk-aggressive-prostate-cancer-70.html

I've been listening to this on the radio for most of the early hours of this morning. Just sat thinking if we went by every study out there saying this is bad/good for you. There wouldn't be much left over! :noway:

Replies

• courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure someday they're going to do a study that links breathing to cancer.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    They said sleeping to much can give you cancer. We will never win.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'll wait until they do an actual comprehensive study before I stop taking my fish oil capsules. This study sounds sketchy at best.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Causation vs Correlation at its finest. One can manipulate it to fit any agenda.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think that reading these studies into (x) causes cancer can in itself cause cancer.

As we don't full understand cancer, could it not be possible that what *may* cause cancer in you might be a requirement to prevent it in me??

Science has a need to publish studies for peer review and so the whole field can learn. The media has a need to hear about it, look for things can would scare and/or shock us and announce just that bit to sell copy.

Unfortunately we'll never see "listening to the media can cause anxiety" as a headline.

If you get benefit from taking it, and you're not overdosing, then IMHO you'll be fine. :)

(edit to correct typo)
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Also and on a lighter note, given the publication that the story was printed in, may I add a little topical humor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am just going to live in a bubble and go by bubble girl
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    every other day they find another thing which cause cancer
    i guess it is possible too much omega 3 can be linked just as any thing in big amount is not healthy
    im sure it is all about moderation!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    They also said eating fish like salmon has the same effect. They also found that vit E increased the chances of cancer.......sure it does.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Can I join your bubble

EVERYTHING is linked to waking up cancer even tap water lolz
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Oh, the daily mail says something gives you cancer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

in particular 1:50-2:00.... (but the whole song is funny...)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If I may copy and paste the opinions of Phil Learney and Nick Mitchell, of Ultimate Performance London

PH: Few people sending me an article about fish oils and increased risk of prostate cancer this am.

Ok, this needs to be understood. If you measure ANYTHING that is blood levels without breaking it down further. You need to know bioavailable levels in some cases, 'free' levels in other cases, cellular absorption etc etc.

An easy way to understand it is that high blood glucose levels would indicate that there is an insufficient amount of insulin either being produced or cells have an impaired absorption or resistance.

If blood levels are high in a lot of cases it would mean cell absorption is low, there is a level of cellular resistance or lack of cellular absorption/permeability.

Scaremongering at it's finest.......Keep taking your omega 3s.

NM: This is an association study not a cause and effect study – personally I ignore most such studies. In this case it says the chance of getting prostate cancer at any point in time during the study was around 1.5 times higher with high omega 3 and around the same amount lower with high omega 6. There's no mention of what happened when both are high.

The authors suggest that the fatty acids are involved in tumourgenesis but all the results show is an association, they don’t imply cause. So I would ignore it like I ignore cholesterol and heart disease.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/07/09/jnci.djt174.abstract
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Recent research has linked reading the Daily Mail to brain cancer...........sensationalism based on what appears to be a single, non -peer reviewed study.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I am reserving judgment until I actually see the study for myself. The Daily Fail isn't really known for responsible reporting.

Having said that, it seems the thrust of the report is that excessive Omega 3 usually provided by supplements is linked to prostate cancer (as opposed to causing it obviously) and more studies are necessary to consider the complex inter relationship between food and health (which may possibly show that in the context of a healthy and balanced diet it is nothing to worry about as suggested.)

Sounds legit to me.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Can I join your bubble

EVERYTHING is linked to waking up cancer even tap water lolz
    Sounds like a plan I don't want to be lonely. Lol
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure someday they're going to do a study that links breathing to cancer.

Spend a day in downtown Beijing, and you'll know that breathing certainly can lead to cancer.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the song, "YOLO" by Lonely Island. They make it seem that we should just not do anything or eat anything. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Everyone who has we had cancer breathed air. Ergo air causes cancer.

I feel like the logic is solid.
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Omg lol !!!!!!!
    But seriously I've been taking flaxseed oil with omega 3 oil capsules for my hair growth and I've seen positive results
    (Thank you longhaircommunity)