Finally Fit on a Roller Coaster

Options
This is a victory that's both small and huge at the same time and I wanted to share for anyone else that might be a roller coaster fan too.

I'm actually terrified of heights, but I like trying to face my fears so I love going on roller coasters. I always freak out until we go over that first big drop but by the end I'm screaming out of joy rather than fear. It's empowering getting off the ride knowing I just did something that scares me. But I can't remember the last time I'd been on one. It's been at least a few years because one time I had trouble getting the bar down and I felt so humiliated. Rather than that being a wake up call though I just stopped going. Seems like a good summary of how I was living life: just giving up. But not anymore!

I've lost 64 pounds and when I went to an amusement park recently I was determined to give a roller coaster a shot. It scared me far more than usual, not knowing if I'd fit into one of those tiny chairs (it was an old-fashioned wooden style) or get the bar down if I could manage to squeeze in. But I faced that fear and the heights and I got on and fit just fine and it was the best roller coaster ever and the most amazing feeling. When I got off and went to look at the photo I had the biggest smile on my face and I had to buy it as a reminder of that moment and what I've accomplished. Because I'm not going to give up anymore. I'm going to face my fears and embrace the moment. And I'm sure as heck not missing out on any more roller coasters!

Replies

• zortgirl
    zortgirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I hate that feeling of wondering if the ride restraints will fit. I faced my fear last week and was thrilled to be able to ride in a standard seat (as opposed to the double buckle harness one's they have for plus size). Nice to not have to worry anymore, because this weight is never coming back.
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your achievement must feel amazing! :glasses:
  • tabbygeorge
    Options
    That is Awesome!!! That is one of my goals is I want to be able to ride rides with my children! Way to go!!!
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You totally ROCK!! Good for you for taking control, working hard to lose the weight and face your fears and for having a blast doing it! I'm so proud of you for you!! It's such a great feeling to accomplish these goals and I'm so glad for you that you have a photo of your joy in doing so. Way to go!!
  • sunshyn225
    sunshyn225 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm sure it was an amazing feeling!
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's great - I know exactly what you're talking about. I recently went back to Cedar point and was able to ride every single coaster with my son which I haven't been able to do in many, many years. It made me feel so good not having to worry about getting strapped in and being asked to leave!!!!
  • Barberella42
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from! I love roller coasters so much but a couple Summer's ago I went with my little niece to a park and I could barely fit in the tiny seat of the old wooden coaster we were on. (I am very bottom heavy.) I was somehow able to kinda sit sideways and wedge the bar down, but it was horrible and I was so embarrassed. I should've taken that as my wake up call, but I did the same thing as you - I stopped going to amusement parks.

I've lost 60 pounds since joining MFP in January and I can't wait to go the the amusement park this Summer. Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your hard work!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate as I did the same. Several years was so upset as I did the walk of shame existing the ride cuz I did not fit ........it was a very sad day. Last year after having lost 78 pounds we took our family vacation at Kings Dominion. I rode every ride my stomach could stand.

So congratulations to you for going back! An absolute wonderful accomplishment :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!