weekly calories for a splurge?

I just counted up since Sunday, and so far I have 588 uneaten calories. I usually eat about 100 to 170 under my goal because it's close to bed time and I'm not hungry at night. Can I count up these calories and use them as a weekly splurge? For instance, today I am going out to ice cream and plan on getting a lot :) even 500 calories' worth of ice cream would only subtract about 135 calories from my weekly buildup (because I factored it into my day's worth of calories) , and I'd still have a lot of 'leftover' calories. thoughts?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Your eating plan is your eating plan. For me, this is how I do maintenance. When I was losing weight, I just said no to the weekly splurge. It works for some people, not for others. I would say try it, log it, and if it works for you and your goals, then great. If it doesn't, you know it doesn't.
  • I tend to think that a weekly splurge is no the way to go. For me. Id prefer to always eat up to my calorie goal and thats it. Saying that however. Ever month I pick a date (usually the first weekend) and for one day ill eat as much as I want, and whatever I want. Its up to you how you want to spend your calories however.
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    I know that WW use to allow you to do that with your leftover "points" for the week. And if you are under everyday, sometimes a little boost in calories will actually keep you from plateauing (keeps the body confused about what you are doing). I wouldn't suggest stockpiling them for this kind of "binge" day, and of course not eating them at all or not eating ALL of them would be "better". And exercising to give yourself some extra calories on the day in question would also be better.

However, if it works for you and keeps you motivated, then I say worst you can do is see that it is not effective for your weight loss. Be careful that this doesn't derail you and cause more cravings on the following days. I think that adjusting your diet to a healthy balance is a learning process - and we are all on the learning curve.

(all my opinion)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Yes, you can.

It's essentially a form of calorie cycling.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    There are a LOT of people here who count calories by the week instead of by the day. It is absolutely fine to use your "leftover" calories on one day for whatever you want.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    As long as your calories in vs out for the week is at a deficit there's no reason why you can't do this as long as you're eating sensibly the rest of the week (i.e. not starving yourself all week!)

If it's as hot and sunny where you are as it is here you could probably do with a nice ice cream! :D

Lisa x
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    I don't have splurges now that I'm trying to lose weight but I often have unhealthy snacks during the week. I may eat ice cream 3-5 times a week but I just don't go over my calorie limit. I know it's not the best or the healthiest but I haven't had a binge for over a week (something rare for me). I've lost more than 60 pounds doing this and I always find it difficult to go back to healthy moderate eating after a "splurge".
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    The fact that you are considering a weekly 'spurge' makes me think your food plan is not sustainable. If you have to save calories to do something non healthy that could effect your diet and energy levels on other days. A more sustainable way to go is have your daily calorie amount at a reasonable level so that you can still sometimes include other less healthy foods you like. This way what you are doing is more likely to be long term rather than short term.
  • The fact that you are considering a weekly 'spurge' makes me think your food plan is not sustainable. If you have to save calories to do something non healthy that could effect your diet and energy levels on other days. A more sustainable way to go is have your daily calorie amount at a reasonable level so that you can still sometimes include other less healthy foods you like. This way what you are doing is more likely to be long term rather than short term.

I never feel deprived because I eat really healthy foods that I love, but I find I just sometimes don't eat all of my exercise calories back. I don't feel the need for a weekly splurge, I just want one :) I feel more comfortable eating healthy every day and only eating unhealthy once a week