Low Cal Whey Protein?

nfpswife
nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
Looking for a lower calorie whey protein powder that won't break the bank. I'm thinking more for something as a meal replacement (in a breakfast smoothie or something similar), rather than as a supplement.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Looking for a lower calorie whey protein powder that won't break the bank. I'm thinking more for something as a meal replacement (in a breakfast smoothie or something similar), rather than as a supplement.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

it depends on your budget. If you are looking for it as a meal in a smoothie I'd suggest enjoying your meal. If you want to enjoy your meal you only have one choice (well not really but this is awesome)...

trutein by trunutrition

The flavor is epic...I mean absolutely epic. I have been taking various protein supplements for 10 years and nothign comes close to trutein.

also trutein packs 25 grams of protein per serving so a container would probably last you forever. You see those awesome flavors? They taste like that...not like a protein supplement at all. Chocolate dipped strawberry tastes just like the name.
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Ooh, I DO like those flavor options!!

I guess mostly, I'm looking for something that won't kill my calorie budget for my breakfast but that I can eat/drink on the go. A protein shake seems to make the most sense in my head.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. It's not the cheapest, but it has more grams of protein per calorie than some other brands, and it tastes great, without strong aftertaste with other brands.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Ooh, I DO like those flavor options!!

I guess mostly, I'm looking for something that won't kill my calorie budget for my breakfast but that I can eat/drink on the go. A protein shake seems to make the most sense in my head.

yeah that is what I do when I diet...and even now when I am gaining weight for convenince. They also have their isology powder which is 120 calories and 30 grams of protein. You probably wouldn't have to even use a whole scoop.

trutein has 125 calories and 25 grams of protein so it's a pretty good profile and won't kill your calories. It's filling and enjoyable too so makes a nice meal. You could add blueberries and half a banana to it and have a great morning wake up shake that is low on calories and tastes great. Heck a scoop of trutein, 1/2 cup of bluebberries, adn half a banana would only be like 230 to 260 calories. My wife does that and adds some liquid fish oil to it. IT bumps it up to about 280 calories but man it's a healthy and tasty quick morning meal