Can cutting calories really make you lose weight?

Anens630
Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
Hello all---I just signed up to MFP yesterday and am counting calories and measuring what I eat/make etc. I am to only consume 1200 calories a day and yesterday, after logging all my meals, it visually looks like I am eating a lot. I am eating healthy and clean--nothing processed, whole grain, and majority fresh fruits and veggies. MFP said that if I were to eat like this for the next five weeks I would drop 10 lbs (with only min. cardio).

I just can't seem to believe this. For those who have been active with MFP for quite some time, did you really see weight loss just by tracking your calorie intake?

I had a baby 3 months ago and have two little ones at home already--working out is a hit or miss depending on their divalicious antics that day. I really am serious about getting healthy and know my exercising won't be as strict as my eating--therefore, I want to take this calorie counting seriously.

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    ...I. Err.

I mean that's how it works. More calories than your body needs = weight gain. Slightly less than your body needs = Weight loss.

Calories in<Calories out.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    MFP is the only thing that has worked and to find out why i did an experiment... i did a week of slimming world, a week on weight watchers and ALSO counted calories. They both do the same thing - reduce calories.... so the easiest way to diet is the basic calorie counting,

The science is we take in less calories then we burn, then of course their is a deficit so the body burns fat/looses weight... so yep MFP/Calorie reduction works - just have plenty of fruit an veg and youll find it easy :)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Hi there,

Cutting calories most certainly make you lose weight! I cut my calories last year, and I have lost a substantial amount of weight! I eat quite a bit more than you, and I eat 80% healthily - I do not deny myself any treats. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

I lost a lot of weight with no exercise at first, but now I can't stop exercising! It helps to reshape your body and make you feel good!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    You might want to browse through this section of the website:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/15-success-stories
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    I definitely did…

However, it did come to point where just reducing my calories wasn't making me lose as much weight as I wanted.

I really had to incorporate some cardio and strength training in order to up my weight loss.

Good luck with the kids.

Maybe you can make running in circles around the backyard something fun for them to do and you'll get exercise?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Yes. You expend calories just living. If you eat less calories than it takes to live you will lose weight.
    Note, however, that you can lose weight and not be healthy or look great. I would definitely recommend finding a fitness plan that you can stick to.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Sure it works, welcome aboard!

1200 is the minimum that MFP gives out so you might want to do a little research to see if it is right for you. If you are brave enough to post your stats plenty of people here will give you their opinion on the right number.

Congratulations on doing this!
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Hello all---I just signed up to MFP yesterday and am counting calories and measuring what I eat/make etc. I am to only consume 1200 calories a day and yesterday, after logging all my meals, it visually looks like I am eating a lot. I am eating healthy and clean--nothing processed, whole grain, and majority fresh fruits and veggies. MFP said that if I were to eat like this for the next five weeks I would drop 10 lbs (with only min. cardio).

I just can't seem to believe this. For those who have been active with MFP for quite some time, did you really see weight loss just by tracking your calorie intake?

I had a baby 3 months ago and have two little ones at home already--working out is a hit or miss depending on their divalicious antics that day. I really am serious about getting healthy and know my exercising won't be as strict as my eating--therefore, I want to take this calorie counting seriously.

if you are eating less than you burn you will lose weight...you don't have to believe MFP...it's concrete science. Now here and again you have the extremely rare situations of people with various metabolic issues where the equation is a little more complex.

BUT...for 99,9999% of the people it is as simple as you eat in a calorie deficit you are going to lose weight.

My question to you is the 1200 calories....that is excessively low. Only people I know on that little are morbidly obese and in immedate health danger if they don't lose weight....or someone that weighs 80 pounds and that's all they need to maintain.

a lot of women will drop their calories way too low after pregnancy because they urgently try to lose weight...I would caution you to not do that. If you are starting your diet at 1200 calories....where do you go when weight loss stalls? You essentially have nowhere to go.

just my friendly 2 cents. Good luck!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    You have to do more than JUST track - you have to stay at/near your calorie goal and generally near your macros. But, yes, it works. I lost 10 pounds by simply changing what I ate and tracking it before I joined a gym. Working out will give you some leeway calorie-wise each day as well as helping you maintain lean body mass and tightening up loose skin, but it isn't strictly necessary to lose weight.

Welcome!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Yes it works. That's how weight loss works-- calories in have to be less than calories out.

Exercise is good and especially strength training will help make sure you're losing mostly fat instead of fat and muscle. But calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

if you are eating less than you burn you will lose weight...you don't have to believe MFP...it's concrete science. Now here and again you have the extremely rare situations of people with various metabolic issues where the equation is a little more complex.

BUT...for 99,9999% of the people it is as simple as you eat in a calorie deficit you are going to lose weight.

My question to you is the 1200 calories....that is excessively low. Only people I know on that little are morbidly obese and in immedate health danger if they don't lose weight....or someone that weighs 80 pounds and that's all they need to maintain.

a lot of women will drop their calories way too low after pregnancy because they urgently try to lose weight...I would caution you to not do that. If you are starting your diet at 1200 calories....where do you go when weight loss stalls? You essentially have nowhere to go.

just my friendly 2 cents. Good luck!

I also agree with this. 1200 calories is very low.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Cutting calories will certainly make you lose weight. Track them accurately though - log everything you eat (even the "tidying up" of kids leftovers) and make sure you weigh everything, especially stuff like pasta, rice etc. where it is really hard to dish out an accurate portion. (Try it - 75-100g of pasta is a reasonable portion for an adult, but dry it looks like a toddler portion!)

Unless you ahve a huge amount to lose, then set MFP to lose 1lb a week so your calories are not too restrictive. If you set to sedentary or lightly active, eat back your exercise calories (at least 50%), which will also help you have more variety and/or treats without going over your allowance.

ETA 1200 is definitely too low! With young ones, if childcare is difficult find stuff you can do around them - DVDs or things like Wii Zumba - or even Just Dance games you can do and they can "dance like mummy". Or good walks to the park or shops instead of going in the car. I only do one (Zumba) class a week, all my other exercise is walking or exercise DVDs.

ETAA You do have to cut them as well as tracking, BTW:wink:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Yes
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Don't just think of calories - also consider fats, salt, sugar..... look at it as more a life style change than losing just weight
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Yep! Weightloss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.

Look into something like a pedometer, fit bit, or fuel band, etc. Not all activity has to come from exercise. If you're chasing your kids around, you might be more active than you think, by tracking steps, you can see your NEAT (non exercise active time) and set a goal to work towards a goal above your average. It's great for busy people, and helps keep you active all day, rather than just during a workout.
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks everyone for replying!

I don't know how to copy other member's questions---I still need to create a profile.

But I am 5'7, 166 lbs, 3 months PP and have a 3 and 2 year old (along with 3 month old). My body is a hot mess from having back to back pregnancies. My stomach muscles literally tore apart this third baby because I gave birth to a small turkey (born at 11 lbs.). I am 28 but feel like I seriously could be 60.

So, my husband and I are done with our family and I am serious about getting back to my pre-pre-pre pregnancy weight, which was 135. MFP said for me to get there and only giving myself 3 days of 60 min cardio, that I need to consume only 1200 calories a day.

I have never dieted before so this is def a new road for me.

I appreciate everyone's responses--its nice to get feedback. Sometimes I feel isolated with my self image--my husband is a runner and in amazing shape. He gets better with age and being a father, and my hips and feet get wider---how fair, right? ;)
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    The short answer:
    Yes, consistently eating less than you burn will result in weight loss. MFP is great for being able to track exactly what you ate and when so you can use that and the macro ratios to see what works best for you.

The longer answer is available in the various forums. Because all calories aren't equal and every person is different, most people agree that calorie deficits alone don't work nearly as well as doing them in addition to exercise, the right macro-nutrient balance, eating clean nutricious foods, adequate hydration by drinking lots of water, and getting a good night's sleep. And be sure to track everything you eat if you want this to work. If you don't know the approximate calories, overestimate.
    Your goal should be to lose weight at a moderate pace (.5 to 1 lbs per week) to not lose too much lean mass and to let your body adjust to your new set points. If you use this time wisely, you can get a better healthier body instead of just getting a smaller body. It's a pattern that can become a lifestyle change instead of the standard short term diet only to gain most of it back after resuming your old bad habits.

I can say from experience that all together, I lost 30 lbs. over the last six months and built noticeable muscle. i feel great and my lipid numbers are better than ever. I'm easily maintaining that weight now and getting ready to lose another 15 lbs or so over the next 3-4 months towards my ultimate long term goal. Setting shorter goals works better for me. I need to see results in reaching a goal and then set a new one to work towards.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Hi hon

Yes it works.

On the subject of 1200 cals. Are you breast feeding because you'll need more calories if you are. I also think personally your calories are too low. I'd try 1500 and see how that works over a month, slower is better to keep the weight off.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Sorry but :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, you will most definitely need more than 1200 calories.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member

I don't know how to copy other member's questions---I still need to create a profile.

But I am 5'7, 166 lbs, 3 months PP and have a 3 and 2 year old (along with 3 month old). My body is a hot mess from having back to back pregnancies. My stomach muscles literally tore apart this third baby because I gave birth to a small turkey (born at 11 lbs.). I am 28 but feel like I seriously could be 60.

So, my husband and I are done with our family and I am serious about getting back to my pre-pre-pre pregnancy weight, which was 135. MFP said for me to get there and only giving myself 3 days of 60 min cardio, that I need to consume only 1200 calories a day.

I appreciate everyone's responses--its nice to get feedback. Sometimes I feel isolated with my self image--my husband is a runner and in amazing shape. He gets better with age and being a father, and my hips and feet get wider---how fair, right? ;)

I'm the opposite way:) My wife has lost 50 pounds since our 7 month old was born, and I gained 30 during and after her pregnancy.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    It's the only thing that's ever worked for me, but I eat quite a bit more than 1200 calories :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    You are almost exactly the same stats as my sister so I don't even have to run those numbers to tell you that 1500 and eating back at least half of the extra calories (or all if you want to) will yield results.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member

Most of what I was going to say has been said above:

* 1200 is very low. MFP sets most people at this level but it is rarely right. Have a look at this thread and consider upping your calories a litte: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

* What about asking your husband if he will help you take up running? A very fast, cheap, easy way to get your fitness up.

* You say that the amount you are eating looks like a lot of food - that's because you are thinking about what you are eating and making good choices. A whole cucumber looks massive but has the fraction of calories in a chocolate bar.

Oh, and welcome on board! :flowerforyou:
  • Agree with the above...kick those calories up a notch or your body will literally hold on to every calorie you can give it and store it because it thinks you're starving!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member

Strollers + bikes/scooters= power walk
    That's how I did it when my kids were babies.
    Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.
    You're young, you only have 30 lbs. to lose.
    You can definitely do this.
    Start with the weight loss from walking and as you get closer to your goal weight, see how you feel about your body shape and possibly look into strength training at that point.
    Don't want to overwhelm you!
    Welcome and good luck :smile:
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Numerous scientific studies show that dieting is much more effective than exercise for weight loss. On average dieting results in twice amount of pounds lost per time period than exercise. Indeed, it is very hard for most people to lose a substantial amount of weight from exercise alone, in large part because of compensatory effects on hunger and a tendency to increase intake. However, I can't stress enough that exercise is key to good health, and people nearing their weight loss targets often find it necessary to add some exercise to get the final results they desire.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Hello all---I just signed up to MFP yesterday

If by yesterday you mean February 2012.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    <<<<Throwback Thursday pic...this was me after my first 10 lbs lost...I'm now down to 180ish with counting calories. Considering calories are a unit of energy and excess energy (calories) beyond what is necessary to operate your machine (body) get stored as fat...of course counting calories works.

I lost my first 20 Lbs before ever lifting a finger in exercise. MFP gives you a calorie goal that includes a deficit from maintenance calories that is net of any exercise...meaning no exercise is required and MFP doesn't believe you're going to do the exercise you say you're going to do. I just ate to may goal and lost weight.

I started working out because I wanted to eat more initially...yes...you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP...as I noted before, your calorie goal already has a substantial deficit built in that is net of exercise. Also, exercise is an extremely inefficient way of incorporating a calorie deficit...it's much more efficient to incorporate it into your diet plan...just as MFP does for you.
  • slynn422
    slynn422 Posts: 1 Member
    I can say without a doubt YES! I started on MFP about a month and a half ago. After, I saw a friend of mine for the first time in several months and she had lost 63lbs at that time just doing MFP and working out. We had tried several things together before and nothing seemed to work. WW worked the first time I tried it but was to much hassle, expensive and I didn't see the results as fast as I wanted so I quit, I gained every pound back and then some. Since I have been using MFP I have lost 13 pounds. I was already working out at the YMCA, before starting MFP but have increased it from 2 day a week to 4 now. I love MFP, its convenient and easy.
    I know with children its hard to find time to work out, but finding things you can do to include them can make it fun for both you and them. It also teaches them from a young age that being fit and healthy is a important. You are setting a great example. Check out your local YMCA or gym, you might find out that there are programs that you can get them involved in or even a child care area for them to stay in while you work out
    KEEP IT UP AND YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!