16:8 fast

Options
Trying the 16/8 fasts today. Does anyone else do this and had good weight loss results ?

Replies

• rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options
    I had some good experiences with this fast. My window was between 12.00 and 20.00. I would like to add this: because of different hormones male and females respond different to fasting methods. Important to keep in mind I think. So just experiment with it and see how it works out for you.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I had great results. See my profile for the results pics.

35lbs lost in total in 3 months.

Worked great for me!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do it and have had great results. I don't think there is anything magical about it though...just an easier way for me to have a calorie deficit. I started 16/8 fasting (without even knowing it had a name) when I decided that breakfast isn't the most important meal of my day and I gave myself permission to not force myself to eat it. Now I can wait until I'm hungry to eat and enjoy nice big meals instead of all that constant snacky stuff that is so often encouraged for weight loss.

I see comments from people about how hard it was at first. For me it was just a relief and I was so happy to go back to the eating habits I had before I gained weight. I swear eating breakfast and the "six small meals a day" are the worst things I could possibly do.

That said, it probably isn't for everyone so if you find that it is torture for you keep looking for something that works.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about this fast and how to go about it!!!!!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's a wonderful tool however women should do more of a 14/10 fast.... over 14hrs for a woman apparently messes with your hormones...it's not recommended
  • HealthyWarrior
    Options
    I actually just read an article on it and got the idea now. It says to take your body weight and multiply it by 10 to get your total daily intake. Once I actually start losing weight how often should someone change their daily calorie intake or should that always stay the same?
  • HealthyWarrior
    Options
    It's a wonderful tool however women should do more of a 14/10 fast.... over 14hrs for a woman apparently messes with your hormones...it's not recommended

Really? Is there an article I can read about that. I haven't tried the 16:8 fasting yet but wanted to start tomorrow.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Really? Is there an article I can read about that. I haven't tried the 16:8 fasting yet but wanted to start tomorrow.

leangains.com and you can try the group on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • HealthyWarrior
    Options
    Thank you!
  • AnnElizabeth11
    Options
    I've been doing a water-fast for about 4 and a half days now i'm doing it for 20 - 30 days. You ONLY drink water (or fresh fruit juice), and if you have to have a cheat or must eat-something it has to be raw, like fruit & veggies only and has to be small or you'll be right back where you started. Some of my friends do intermittent fasting and it's helped them slim down and keep lean while building muscle at the same time. If you've never done a fast I'd say start off with leaving out breakfast (Omg not a big deal) and then have lunch & dinner in your 8 hour time frame and make those meals total 600-800 calories. and then do the same the next day. and only drink water or fresh fruit juice in your fasting time frame. Just try a few things and see what works best for you. Go from a 14/10 fast first, some even do less than that to begin with, and then move up to you can do whole days. Your body will eat away at your fat stores & exercising during a fast day helps immensely. I wish you luck!!
  • sar1386
    sar1386 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry if its mentioned somewhere, but what is the 16/8 fast? What and how often do u do it?
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    OP's post pertains more to Intermittent Fasting, not total starvation.
    I've been doing a water-fast for about 4 and a half days now i'm doing it for 20 - 30 days. You ONLY drink water (or fresh fruit juice), and if you have to have a cheat or must eat-something it has to be raw, like fruit & veggies only and has to be small or you'll be right back where you started. Some of my friends do intermittent fasting and it's helped them slim down and keep lean while building muscle at the same time. If you've never done a fast I'd say start off with leaving out breakfast (Omg not a big deal) and then have lunch & dinner in your 8 hour time frame and make those meals total 600-800 calories. and then do the same the next day. and only drink water or fresh fruit juice in your fasting time frame. Just try a few things and see what works best for you. Go from a 14/10 fast first, some even do less than that to begin with, and then move up to you can do whole days. Your body will eat away at your fat stores & exercising during a fast day helps immensely. I wish you luck!!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

Please tell me you are not serious. I feel like that's a great way to, oh I don't know, die (at least become VERY malnourished). You should probably start trying to loose weight a healthy way (and probably seek out some counseling for anorexia issues). I don't mean to sound too harsh (or maybe I do) but I do not think you should be giving other people healthy eating/dieting advice if you, yourself aren't actually eating.
  • rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options

This way is not recommendable, plus drinking fruit juice is by definition not fasting.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

insane.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's not intermittent fasting.

That's anorexia.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Trying the 16/8 fasts today. Does anyone else do this and had good weight loss results ?

I love it. It didn't help me with regards to weight loss or make a difference, I just prefer to do things this way. It makes my meals huge and I like that (some of them being 2000 cals).

...and I'll pretend that person that thinks fasting means hardly eating period didn't reply.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Some women (me) do fine on it. I prefer it. I'll mention personally that I'd never exert myself on a empty stomach, my workouts were while I after I fueled. But there is reasons to suggesting it is not as effective for women and can cause problems. Just a blog but they look through several studies (keep in mind some of these are rats and not people) and have a pretty good believable comprehensive read:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#axzz2Yl5DmsGn

Just a random unfact based thought to throw out there. I half wonder since many women who IF eat significantly less then the men...if it would make a difference for women on higher calorie diets who IF. Particularly because all the girls I know do fine with it. And all of them are taller and exercise since they eat more and get more nutrition and tend to concentrate on nutrients.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I had some good experiences with this fast. My window was between 12.00 and 20.00. I would like to add this: because of different hormones male and females respond different to fasting methods. Important to keep in mind I think. So just experiment with it and see how it works out for you.

The author of the 16/8 fast (or leangains) recommends 14/10 for women.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

The 14/10 recommendation is not absolute. It has been SUGGESTED that because women have a higher amount of estrogen, it is more difficult for women than men to go 16 hours with no food. For adherence purposes, some women start off on a 14/10 protocol and gradually increase their fasting window (or not, if 14/10 works for them). I have done 16/8, 20/4, and currently more of a 22/2 schedule with no problems. The key issue is whether or not you can stick to the protocol. If 16 hours works for you, despite having lady parts, then do 16 hours.