Anyone try the 5:2 Fast Diet?

Options
I just started it and can honestly say I feel great. I was really worried about it the day before, but it turned out to be more psychological than anything. Eat whatever you want 5 days a week, then for two non-consecutive days eat: Men=600 calories; Women=500 calories. For the five days, I stick to my normal diet of 1400 +- for maximum weight loss.

If you've tried it, I'd like to hear some feedback.

Happy losing!
Rick:smile:

Replies

• Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I might try it.
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks for the lead, I joined it.
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me sticking to 1400 is hard enough without further restricting myself to 500 :sick:

Good luck though!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 500 cal you're not fasting. Fasting is abstaining from food for a fixed period of time (it may be a day or two, it may be IF) What you're doing is a VLCD 2 days per week.

Weight loss comes down to a caloric deficit over time. If this method helps you achieve that deficit why not....... (I'd probably kill someone on my 500 cal day.....)
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a couple of weeks and didn't really get on with it. To be fair, it was a really half hearted try and I don't think I really gave it much of a chance. On the 500 calorie days all I wanted to do was get through them as quickly as possible so I could eat the next day. When I knew I had a 500 cal day coming I would be miserable and dread it.
  • FITFAB402015
    Options
    I am doing the IF 16/8 right now. Just started and LOVE IT!! I agree it is a mind over matter deal. My favorite part is not having to be overly concerned with food. I am more conscience of what I eat during my 8 hour feeding window. I am a sugar addict and so far I have not had a craving for anything sweet. I sleep sound, not bloated....I am sure I will think of other perks, but I will let that do for now.

Wishing you the best with the 5:2!!
  • markdubya1983
    Options
    I've been on it for about 5 weeks now and only occasionally struggle on a 'hungry' day. Cold cooked turkey with buckets of salad is my friend!

I've lost around 7lb now which is a great start - however, a word of caution. My loss has been around 1/3 fat, 2/3 lean mass so far. I'm monitoring this carefully as it might stabilise, but according to my trainer this is fairly typical of diets that force the body to burn its own reserves.

BUT - and this is the important point - muscle can be rebuilt over time, and quite frankly I'm just delighted that I'm losing weight overall... as a regular cyclist it's great to know I'm dragging a lot less of me around!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There are various defnitions of "fasting" - water only, no water, restricted intake. But really, it's just used as a catchy name for this approach.

It is all in the mind - some people can't handle it, and that's fine, it's not for everyone.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I did it for two weeks and was fine - not saying the 500 calories days were easy, but got through them. However, I just couldn't continue for some odd reason after that. On the fast days, I would have the shakes, I was so ravenous!

Not saying I won't trying it again at some point though.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 7lb now which is a great start - however, a word of caution. My loss has been around 1/3 fat, 2/3 lean mass so far. I'm monitoring this carefully as it might stabilise, but according to my trainer this is fairly typical of diets that force the body to burn its own reserves.

And this is why I'm not even bothering with a silly fad. Fat loss rather than lean muscle mass should be the way forward for a healthy lifestyle. No purpose in doing two lots of work to build the muscle back up that you've lost through VLCDs when you can just maintain the muscle in the first place.
    These 'drop 7lb in one week' diets don't promote healthy living at all, just perpetuate the myth that you have to eat next to nothing and burn off everything.
    It's so much better, and healthier, to eat as much as your body needs to fuel everything it does.

Good luck to those who are doing it though.
  • DnJ100
    DnJ100 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried to combine this with the 30 Day Shred regime? I'm planning to start that next week, but am also keen to try the 5:2 approach (my parents have seen success on it alone - and they're really not very strict on non-fast days!!) but I'm concerned I wouldn't have the energy to do the 30DS on fast days.

What do people think is best?
    30DS with calorie controlled high protein diet throughout. Or 30DS alongside 5:2 diet. I could take rest days from the exercise on the 2 fast days, but I'm worried I won't see the results other people have been able to achieve if I don't do the 30 days straight through...... Any advice much appreciated :)
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just started it and can honestly say I feel great. I was really worried about it the day before, but it turned out to be more psychological than anything. Eat whatever you want 5 days a week, then for two non-consecutive days eat: Men=600 calories; Women=500 calories. For the five days, I stick to my normal diet of 1400 +- for maximum weight loss.

If you've tried it, I'd like to hear some feedback.

Happy losing!
    Rick:smile:

I'm doing the exact same as you. Some weeks I just do one fast day instead of two.
  • michellemcdonaldhenderson
    Options
    Started this week....we'll see what happens.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have just finished my first 2 weeks on this and I have dropped 6lbs which seeing as I am now only 4lbs for goal is amazing. I have been sticking to 1200 - 1600 a day on my non fast days and 500 on fast days and not eating back exercise cals so really pushing it but thrilled with results.
    I feel full of energy and intend to carry on for 2 more weeks until my hols then return to maintenance cals...
    Good luck and hope it works for you, if you wish to add me please do I log daily and have done with a few days off for 18 months.
    Jules xx
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 5 weeks now and only occasionally struggle on a 'hungry' day. Cold cooked turkey with buckets of salad is my friend!

BUT - and this is the important point - muscle can be rebuilt over time, and quite frankly I'm just delighted that I'm losing weight overall... as a regular cyclist it's great to know I'm dragging a lot less of me around!

Honestly, that ratio sounds pretty bad. I've been losing weight for 6 months now and lost barely any LBM (even losing weight at a similar rate).

Yet another reason I'm not keen on this diet.
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ... then for two non-consecutive days eat: Men=600 calories; Women=500 calories.

I thought it was supposed to be "two consecutive days" Was I misinformed??
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been on the 5:2 diet since March. In that time I've lost 16lbs, which I am very pleased about. I've been away on holiday and not worried about what I was eating whilst away and just started again when I returned. I eat 500 calories on my fast days, which are usually Monday and Thursday, then on my non fast days I eat around 1700 calories ( my TDEE is 1958), if I go over at the weekend I do not beat myself up about it. I am 63 and have been on diets ever since I was 30 something and this is the best way of eating that I've ever come across. Read Dr Michael Mosley's book and if you can watch the British TV programme Horizon which was aired last year ( I think there is a link on the 5:2 group on here, to see what other health benefits this WOE provides.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The days can be whenever you want - the recommendation is that they be non-consecutive as that's easier, but many people do a back-to-back set. There's a different diet (let's face it, there's loads of variaitons of Intermittent Fasting) which DOES require the days to be consecutive.

30 Day Shred - try it and find out. Some people take things easy on fast days, others find they have loads of energy. And it's recommended to have a rest day from the 30DS once a week or so anyway, rather than doing it 30 days on the trot.

Body fat is hard to measure - but most people find their losses on 5:2 ARE fat rather than muscle. My BF% has gone from 32+ to now usually under 30 - it still fluctutates a good bit, but the trend is down. Plus measuring inches reveals that much of the loss is fat.
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried to combine this with the 30 Day Shred regime? I'm planning to start that next week, but am also keen to try the 5:2 approach (my parents have seen success on it alone - and they're really not very strict on non-fast days!!) but I'm concerned I wouldn't have the energy to do the 30DS on fast days.

What do people think is best?
    30DS with calorie controlled high protein diet throughout. Or 30DS alongside 5:2 diet. I could take rest days from the exercise on the 2 fast days, but I'm worried I won't see the results other people have been able to achieve if I don't do the 30 days straight through...... Any advice much appreciated :)

Dnj100...Today is my second day of the 5:2, and I'm really enjoying the vegie snacks. I do it on my Cardio Recovery day (Insanity) which is a much easier workout with an emphasis on stretching, and on my one day off from exercising. I couldn't imagine doing it on a high impact workout day. Seems to be okay, but you really need to listen to you body more than anything.