Can someone help with an American baby name?

Options
jodie_t
jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
<<wanders in>>
This seems like the random postings board :happy:

OK I'm in the UK, daughter is British but married to an American & they're both living here + have baby due in November. So the names debate is hotting up! Daughter is really into the Hawaiian name "Leilani"; but her hubby says that in the States Leilani is a is a clichéd Hawaiian name and a bit of a joke, and the baby will be half American and will back backwards and forwards to USA.

Sooooo daughter would like me check with you guys .. is the name a bit of a joke name in the USA... or is it not?? :-s

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    No Way! I think it is beautiful!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I don't know about joke but it IS a very Hawaiin name. Nothing wrong with that though...
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    i think it's a beautiful name.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone thinking that name is a joke, I think it's very pretty.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that name in the US. Of course the most popular names seem to come from Television I think. Whatever is popular at the moment. I think the name is beautiful. Also when she gets older if she wants to shorten it, it could become Lani.
    Good Luck
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I know a few ladies named Leilani over here in the states. Where I live, I don't think it is considered a joke name, it just isn't a common name. The ladies I know that have the name are in their 50's, so I think it may just be a little outdated. I personally think the name is beautiful. I think she should go with whatever she likes. Names come and go in popularity...so what might not be popular now, may be very popular in a few years time. Good Luck and congrats on the new baby! :flowerforyou:
  • lizmumma98
    lizmumma98 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the website about the name. It IS very popular in the US, but it didn't even make it to the top 10 outside of the US. This link will also tell you the meaning and origin. It is very beautiful!!!!

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Leilani
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    pretty...........
    but it does remind me of the Miley Virus clothing line....anything Virus is exactly that according to all the kids around here.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As long as the kid's last name is not something that would ryhme unfortunately like "Leilani Bobani" why not?

I am betting the father would like for his daughter some very boring dowdy name like Eunice or Gertrude because Leilani is a very pretty name that lends itself to equally pretty nicknames like "Leila", "Lee", or "Lani". I live on the east coast of the US and I know of one Leilani who is about 6. She isn't Hawiian.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    <<wanders in>>
    This seems like the random postings board :happy:

OK I'm in the UK, daughter is British but married to an American & they're both living here + have baby due in November. So the names debate is hotting up! Daughter is really into the Hawaiian name "Leilani"; but her hubby says that in the States Leilani is a is a clichéd Hawaiian name and a bit of a joke, and the baby will be half American and will back backwards and forwards to USA.

Sooooo daughter would like me check with you guys .. is the name a bit of a joke name in the USA... or is it not?? :-s

Nothing wrong with Leilani. I've only known 1 Leilani and she was indeed Hawaiian but I've known a similarly named Lelana and she was a 30 year old blond hair blue eyed Georgia peach. Perhaps her hubby just doesn't like the name so he used that reasoning. They should come up with something they both love. It may take some time to find a common name they both cherish but it will happen! Luckily we had a boy because my husband thought all of my girl names sounded like stripper names!
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    beautiful name! I have a cousin in the Philippines with the same name
  • Mellie13
    Options
    I agree, not a joke at all! I think it's a very pretty name!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    It's a very feminine name :)
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like that name. It is very unique. One thing her in America we try to pick unusual names sometimes. My suggestion would be to have him call her Lily if he doesn't like it. That is American and can have the best of both :)
  • ilenem
    Options
    I have two granddaughters who are part hawaiian, ages 7 and 5, One named Noelani and one named Keala. I think hawaiian names are beautiful and very feminine.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think what he may be referring to is the fact that on most TV shows if there are females from Hawaii, they are usually named Leilani. I think it is a beautiful name but very popular as far as TV goes.
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    I'm from New England and have worked in daycare programs for a couple of years now. We've had 2-3 Lelani's come and go of an race or color. If it fits her, there's no reason not to name her Lalani!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I know 2 women named Leilani. One is my nurse practioner who is in her 30s, I'd guess. The other is a friend, who is 19, not Hawaiian, and she does go by "Lani." So it's not unheard of, but it is a less common name of Hawaiian origin.
  • NoelleLou
    Options
    I personally think Lelani is a beautiful name.. I have only met 1 & she was hawaiian.. A variation of that name is LEILA (Layla, Laila the spellings are ENDLESS) is becoming VERY VERY popular here in the US. I have FOUR girlfriends & 3-4 different strangers I know of who have named their baby girls Layla.. Its beautiful too & Im sure its not caught on to the UK yet!! Good luck with your new granddaughter! Have a blast!