Slow weight loss

Options
Hi all! I could use some advice, I am currently at a total 12 lb weight loss and notice the scale almost not moving at all. I work out daily, for 60+ mins a day, carefully calculate all calories yet still no movement. I am currently eating only about 1200 cals a day. Could this be too little?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing and how long has it been since your weight slowed? Also, are you only eating 1200 calories or netting 1200 calories? Finally, are you measuring your food that you log or estimating it?
  • MDSnMLS
    MDSnMLS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im only eating 1200 cals. Not eating back workout calories, Im thinking maybe not eating enough? Its been a week with only half a pound weight loss, I know muscle weighs more and your body fluctuates just wanna make sure im not eating too little.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yeah, you are not eating enough. What have you netted over the last week and a half?
  • lydialou87
    lydialou87 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been the same - on 1200, working out HARD and seeing very little.

I've just changed to 1,390 - hope this will help as I'm sure i wasn't eating enough!

Love to hear how you get on x
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Im only eating 1200 cals. Not eating back workout calories, Im thinking maybe not eating enough? Its been a week with only half a pound weight loss, I know muscle weighs more and your body fluctuates just wanna make sure im not eating too little.

A half pound loss is still a loss. Take measurements once every 2-4 weeks.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to absolutely eat more. When I started out, I did the 1200 and net 1200, and didn't get results. At this point, I eat a net 1800 a day, and I lost 4.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I'm not recommending a net 1800, but I suspect that you definitely need to increase it to a net higher than 1200. Just increase slowly until you find what works best for you.
  • MDSnMLS
    Options
    My net calorie intake is under 1000 a day on all but one day which was 1105. Definitely way to low. I think I have been confused thinking I was only to eat 1200 calories a day, but with working out I actually should be eating back the calories, is this correct?
    lydialou87 would you mind if I friend request you :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You are definitely eating way too little. You want your NET calories to equal your goal. MFP gives you those extra calories after you work out for a reason! Your goal already has a deficit built in and if you are burning a ton of calories you can make that deficit too large. As long as you are pretty sure of the accuracy of your calorie burn from working out, you should eat back those exercise calories.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to absolutely eat more. When I started out, I did the 1200 and net 1200, and didn't get results. At this point, I eat a net 1800 a day, and I lost 4.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I'm not recommending a net 1800, but I suspect that you definitely need to increase it to a net higher than 1200. Just increase slowly until you find what works best for you.

This exactly.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I bumped from 1330 to 1570, now working my way up to 2300 slowly. Not eating enough and working out hard, I ended up putting myself in a plateau. You may want to do some research on different theories about weight loss, BMR, simple deficit (what MFP uses), TDEE, etc. Also, and this is where I am still learning, you need to understand how to set your macros. As I started to eat more I have slowly started to lose again. And I am going to see my doctor next week to get a medical opinion as well.

Remember, what works for one does not work for all so you need to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • outdoorchic74
    outdoorchic74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also a slow loser. I used to count calories and tried to keep at 1200-1350 a day. I do exercise vigorously about 5 times a week, running, kickboxing, weightlifting, etc. In my case, I am very insulin resistant, so I really have to watch the carb intake. Calories really don't mean a thing for my body, but the carb count does. I'm a Mark Sisson fan, and he can explain it a lot better than me:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dial-in-your-carb-count/#axzz2YfeQ8K2I

There are lots a varying opinions out there regarding carb intake, but each of us need to figure out what works for us as individuals because our bodies are all different. I understand the frustration of not seeing the scale move when you are working so hard, but do not give up. Keep trying different things until you find your successful equation. Good luck!
  • MDSnMLS
    Options
    I was definitely confused, I didn't realize that I was eating way too little, I am gonna starting eating more to see how this helps, thank you all for your great advice
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    have a a day off a week - like saturdays..... eat double your maintenance calories... .. and maybe work out less. not 7 times a week.
  • JMD1971
    JMD1971 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes you could be eating too little calories or maybe you need to look at the foods your eating, How healthy are they? maybe you need to adjust something, add some new ones in. Take out others. I have been stuck for 2 months and I readjusted my foods a little and lost 2.5 lbs this week. and don't forget you need to be patient with your body :) Good Luck!!