The calories burned during exercise was not correct for me.

Options
I wanted to check to see if the calories burned for my exercise that I do 3 times a week was correct and I checked it out on a website. It says that I burn 282 calories while MFP says I only burn 214. It's ok because it says I was burning LESS than I really was so I wasn't eating those calories but I just thought maybe some of you might want to check to see a more accurate estimate of what your burning. Here's the website:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Along with a calories burned calculator they have all kinds of calcs that are great, such as a daily expendable calc that estimates how many calories you burn daily.

Replies

• sherhop
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Any webpage is going to be a guess... thats why I use a HRM
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go. the machines and MFP do their best. get the one with the chest strap.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume the other website was correct and MFP was wrong?

The ONLY way to truly know is to wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap or get a BodyBugg.
  • dave21286
    Options
    I have found that calories burned can differ pretty wildly. For example, when I go to the gym and put my age and weight into the elliptical machine, it says I burn about 250 calories for a 1/2 hour, myfitnesspal says 530. A huge difference. I usually just take the average. I think the moderate walk calories burned is pretty accurate here. The mowing the lawn one seems high too...
  • luvstolose
    Options
    You burn caloires based on your intensity every website is going to show a different calories burned most likey. The best way to see how many caloires you are actually burning is to use a heart rate monitor. You put your height and weight in and it bases your calories on your heart rate as not every one exercises at the same intensity I love my hrm
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I always underestimate a little.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options

The ONLY way to truly know is to wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap or get a BodyBugg.

I was wondering the same thing.
    I <3 my HRM :happy:
  • rml_16
    Options

I was wondering the same thing.
    I <3 my HRM :happy:

Me, too! I took it out of town with me in July and forgot it. I was so lost without it. I exercised less, even. I got it back a couple weeks ago and it was like having my arm reattached. lol
  • Pendragn
    Options
    This is why I don't like to eat my exercise calories. There are too many variables (intensity, stopping for a water break, flexibility, weight, etc.) for it to be at all accurate.
  • Jamie_V
    Options
    This is why I don't like to eat my exercise calories. There are too many variables (intensity, stopping for a water break, flexibility, weight, etc.) for it to be at all accurate.

I agree, even though I wear a HRM, I don't like to eat my exercise calories. In fact, I don't even like to eat all of my "allowed" calories, I prefer to be under by at least 100 in case I underestimated anything, especially since I eat out more than I should. :ohwell:

I find that MFP and even the machines are always significantly higher than my HRM says, and I definitely don't want to overestimate my cals burned. (although I sure do WISH that I burned what MFP says I do!!) :bigsmile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Any webpage is going to be a guess... thats why I use a HRM

Right, Just like we all have different calorie goals, we all burn different amount of calories. HRM is the only way to go. Once you've used an HRM a few times you'll have a good idea of what you're burning.

Understand, all we're really doing is estimating anyway...even with an HRM, and food labels. However, estimating and being accountable to a number is much more effective than disregarding the numbers in the first place.

Weather you eat your excersise calories or not....there's plenty of threads about that already.
  • snakehead
    Options
    Understand, all we're really doing is estimating anyway...even with an HRM, and food labels. However, estimating and being accountable to a number is much more effective than disregarding the numbers in the first place.

You're right about everything being an estimate. The FDA allows a 20% descrepancy in the numbers on food labels. So that 100 calorie snack could be 80 or 120. And I'm guessing its going to be 120 more times than not. Ever notice that the first ingrediant on no stick spray is always an oil of some kind? But its no fat, no calories? Thats because the recommended serving size is so small that a food company can round it down to zero. I've never found that 1/3 or 1/5 of a second of spray (what the two I used recommend) does me any good. Even HRMs in the end use a couple of estimates to determine the calories burned during exercise (metabolic rates being a little different for everyone). So leaving yourself some calories on the table at the end of the day is a good idea in my humble opinion. Most days I try to have 300 or so left but thats what works for me. I hit my goal weight a couple of months ago and have been riding that line ever since.
  • rml_16
    Options

You're right about everything being an estimate. The FDA allows a 20% descrepancy in the numbers on food labels. So that 100 calorie snack could be 80 or 120. And I'm guessing its going to be 120 more times than not. Ever notice that the first ingrediant on no stick spray is always an oil of some kind? But its no fat, no calories? Thats because the recommended serving size is so small that a food company can round it down to zero. I've never found that 1/3 or 1/5 of a second of spray (what the two I used recommend) does me any good. Even HRMs in the end use a couple of estimates to determine the calories burned during exercise (metabolic rates being a little different for everyone). So leaving yourself some calories on the table at the end of the day is a good idea in my humble opinion. Most days I try to have 300 or so left but thats what works for me. I hit my goal weight a couple of months ago and have been riding that line ever since.

I think we all need to go with what works for our own bodies. I lose double what this site says I should when I eat every last calorie I get, including the exercise calories I earn and calculate with an HRM. I realize this won't necessarily work for everyone, but I doubt I'm the only one it works for.
  • asking131
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I checked multiple websites and they all were closer to the one on the website I shared then MFP. I just offered up that website because they have tons of calculators and I thought it was a good website. They also have information about walking, running, strength training, etc. that is very valuable. I just thought some of ya'll would maybe want to check it out. I didn't mean to suggest that one site is superior over the other.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I checked multiple websites and they all were closer to the one on the website I shared then MFP. I just offered up that website because they have tons of calculators and I thought it was a good website. They also have information about walking, running, strength training, etc. that is very valuable. I just thought some of ya'll would maybe want to check it out. I didn't mean to suggest that one site is superior over the other.

I still don't think you can assume that one is correct and MFP is wrong.

I use an HRM. Sometimes MFP way overestimates my calories. Sometimes it way underestimates them. And sometimes it's very, very, very close to accurate.

The problem is, none of those sites can figure your fitness level or exertion, so they're really just guessing.

When I do an hour on my elliptical, I burn anywhere from 500 to 600 calories. I can feel like I'm pushing myself to the limit and only burn 500 if I'm more tired than another time. So, even though I'm working just as hard (in my mind), I'm not. If I just put that information (60 minutes, elliptical) into any site, it's not going to know my exertion and I may not be accurate myself.
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Every website is different. Ive gotten on some that says my minimum calories should be 1700 then 1500 then 1489 mfp says 1200 so who knows right! I just go with it.

BTW where can I get a hrm?? Some machines at gym tell me my heart rate can i put that in somewhere to figure it out?? :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't trust the ones on the machines because there is too much room for error. Any sporting goods store carries HRMs. I got mine at Target. I've seen the wrist ones at my Walmart, but none with chest straps. Your Walmart may have them. Also, Amazon.com, e-Bay, Overstock.com, etc.