Whole wheat

Options
Is whole wheat actually as good for you as they say?
How is whole wheat pasta? I have been trying to stay away from pastas but I am craving it.
Also I have also been trying to stay away from rice, so how is brown rice for you?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    repeat after me ...carbs are not the devil, carbs are not the devil ...

I have rice a few times a week and sometimes pasta too...if it fits into your daily carb macro goal then go for it...

as far as whole wheat pasta vs regular you will get all kinds of comments on that...

I try to get the pasta that has the least amount of ingredients in it...so far Alma's Italian Linguine is what I go with...
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I agree that carbs are far from the devil. However if you want to compare white versus whole wheat most white products are overly processed and stripped of many nutrients. Whole wheat pasta is very good but if you have had white all your life it takes some getting use to.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    Agree with both of the above... Carbs are good and needed... I use wholemeal pasta/bread/rice etc, because white products area often very over processed, which strips away the goodness of the grain.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I switched from white to wholewheat pasta, spaghetti and rice just last week (I love my carbs!!!), and what I found is that weirdly, the wholewheat stuff keeps me much fuller. So I've gone from a 100g portion of white to a 55g portion of wholewheat (for pastas), with the only difference being less bloating after. Because I really like a full plate, I add about 25-50g each of green leafy veg, petite pois etc, in with my pasta, and get loads of extra nutrients for much fewer calories!

However, I also tried changing my rolled porridge oats to a pre-mixed bag with added oat and wheat brans, and found myself less satisfied for the exact same number of calories :(

I dont eat bread at all as it makes me sick. But I'm a firm believer in never denying yourself pasta!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I switched from white to wholewheat pasta, spaghetti and rice just last week (I love my carbs!!!), and what I found is that weirdly, the wholewheat stuff keeps me much fuller. So I've gone from a 100g portion of white to a 55g portion of wholewheat (for pastas), with the only difference being less bloating after. Because I really like a full plate, I add about 25-50g each of green leafy veg, petite pois etc, in with my pasta, and get loads of extra nutrients for much fewer calories!

However, I also tried changing my rolled porridge oats to a pre-mixed bag with added oat and wheat brans, and found myself less satisfied for the exact same number of calories :(

I dont eat bread at all as it makes me sick. But I'm a firm believer in never denying yourself pasta!

You're fuller bc the fiber is not stripped from it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How is whole wheat pasta? I have been trying to stay away from pastas but I am craving it.
    Also I have also been trying to stay away from rice, so how is brown rice for you?

No, and when comparing who wheat/brown varieties to their more evil white counterparts, you'd find the differences aren't as big as you're lead to believe
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For most people grains are very healthy. Yes, there are some people who have health conditions where grains should be avoided. Wheat is especially nutritious. I believe we get the most benefit when we keep grains whole.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

No, and when comparing who wheat/brown varieties to their more evil white counterparts, you'd find the differences aren't as big as you're lead to believe

I agree most whole grain flour that is used in a majority of products is ground so fine that it really isn't that much different.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I agree most whole grain flour that is used in a majority of products is ground so fine that it really isn't that much different.

^ This. I pick whole grains for the fiber content and I pick and choose what I eat as white vs. whole grain based on taste. For me, I can't stand whole wheat pasta but I like whole wheat pancakes and when it comes to bread, the heavier and denser the better. Go figure.