Never Trust a scale

Options
babyblues4
babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
I'm still a work in progress, I want to lean out more and work on my muscle growth and definition.

First Pic is my re-start pic... 158lbs. I'm currently sitting between 149-152lbs.

I weigh myself every morning and the frustration I would feel everytime I stepped on the scale was making me insane. It wasn't until I was searching through my photos that I found my restart before pic and compared it to the one I took a couple of days ago. Although I haven't lost a lot in pounds , the inches lost speak for themselves.

IMG_2922.jpg[/URL]

50531967-e534-4eb4-8044-218e8e58ad61.jpg[/URL]

Replies

• babyblues4
    Options
    fixed sizing :smile:
  • fitKT2B
    fitKT2B Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow what a difference. Great job!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I think I needed to see this today. Thank you. :smile:

Congrats on the awesome changes!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!! I, too, have been discouraged a little by the scale this week. I think it's broken. lol.

However....

I feel great....and physically, I can definitely tell a difference in my body. Screw the scale!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Wow!! My tummy is my trouble area also!! How are you doing it?
  • BeckyJo19
    BeckyJo19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's great! Also curious about getting rid of my tummy.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    High-five! :flowerforyou:
  • babyblues4
    Options
    Clean eating, and exercise (running, bootcamps, TRX)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    You are really looking great. Congrats on your transformation. Your post caught my eye, because I am not weighing myself because it gets to be more about the scale moving down than truly getting fit. If I don't lose i get frustrated and end my efforts and it is super crazy. I think the scale is more important during maintenance so pounds don't creep back on. thanks for the encouragement.
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    You look great!:smile:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I trust the scale. It does what it is designed to do.

What you fixed was your perception that weight matters more than inches. After all, weight can come from food, water, fat, muscle, lots of things. They all weigh something.

The scale is rough tool, it's useful... but it's far the most important thing. :drinker:
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great progress! I agree, toss the scale. Nothing but trouble.
  • whisperer02
    Options
    Thank you for this. I needed it too. I get so discouraged when I don't see the scale move (I am a daily weigher). However, I have gained muscle and can feel the differance and love it. I just use the scale to see if it was a "salt" day or hard work out day. I love this site. I do know anyone here personally but I feel we are all a very LARGE family.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same weight for what seems like forever now.
    I needed to see this! :) Great work and keep going!!
  • dlrfit
    dlrfit Posts: 16
    Options
    Lookin' good! Keep up the great work!
  • buffyfan22
    buffyfan22 Posts: 54
    Options

What you fixed was your perception that weight matters more than inches. After all, weight can come from food, water, fat, muscle, lots of things. They all weigh something.

The scale is rough tool, it's useful... but it's far the most important thing. :drinker:

Obviously! But what she means is that just because the scale doesn't budge doesn't mean you're not making progress. I'd rather have more muscle than fat, just saying. It's different weighing 145 based only on fat than 145 based on lean muscle. And it's true what OP said, DON'T TRUST THE SCALE! :)
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    time for me to break out the camera! The freakin scales are driving me nuts. I'm up 5 pounds but my clothes still feel the same.

Thanks for the inspiration, I needed it today! :wink:
  • Xeldadog
    Xeldadog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your post. My goal is to get stronger. I'm working hard three times a week at a group strength training class to achieve that goal. However, I'm watching my calories, running 2-3 times a week and weighing myself looking for a drop in weight. It's not happening. In fact, I've gained two pounds even though I'm under my calories. (I've been following MFP's recommendation of 1220 calories, but last night I got my TDEE (2197) and with the -20%, my calorie intake is 1758 approximately. So I've been eating fewer calories, yet building muscle. My brain has yet to fully transition to owning the belief "ignore the scale".

I feel my waist getting smaller, firmer and my hips melting away though the tape measure doesn't reflect a decrease--yet! I've been at this diligently for 6 weeks. Patience is a virtue!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this today, too, so thanks for sharing with us. I'm one of those people who loses inches but not many pounds. I realize that to get the body I want I need to forget about getting to the weight I want to weigh and just lift weights and use my measuring tape instead of the scale. I don't know why I keep fighting this. Vanity, I guess.
  • babyblues4
    Options

Obviously! But what she means is that just because the scale doesn't budge doesn't mean you're not making progress. I'd rather have more muscle than fat, just saying. It's different weighing 145 based only on fat than 145 based on lean muscle. And it's true what OP said, DON'T TRUST THE SCALE! :)

Exactly
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!