Depression and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first venture into the forums.

I need to lose about 100lb and I have tried to lose weight on and off for years. I suffer from depression and because my moods are so up and down, my motivation and drive to succeed is not always consistent. I go through periods of binge eating on junk, as well as comfort eating, and this has been with me since I was about 14. I am now almost 23.

Any support and or tips would be greatly appreciated, particularly from anyone else who suffers with their mental state on top of their weight issues.

Thanks

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I myself take antidepressents daily and have been doing so for many years now. I started my weight loss journey back in March 2013 and so far I have lost 35 lbs. My goal is to lose about 35 lbs more give or take.

It actually took me several years to actually finally start losing weight. I know that the added weight did not help with my depression, it actually made it worse. So one day I finally just told myself no more excuses....just do it! And I did.

I haven't felt this good in years, I found that even though I still take my meds I don't struggle as much as I used to with my moods now...I have way more control over them. I have been able to lower my dose which is nice and I am hoping that one day I can stop taking them all together. I know that my change of diet has also made a huge difference with this. I've cut out A LOT of processed foods, I try to eat as much fresh fruits and vegetables as possible and I drink a lot of water every day. You are what you eat afterall. The first couple of weeks were super hard when I started eating this way, but now it doesn't even bother me as I am so used to it. Just remember, you are still allowed to have a treat once in a while. I have one cheat meal a week as my reward for my hard work.

Believe me...I am the Queen Procrastinator. If I can do it, you can do it! You just need to find an exercise that you really enjoy. For me it has been running. I honestly enjoy it and it is such a HUGE stress reliever for me. Instead of eating for comfort, go for a run or a walk.

The other thing I do when I am running on my treadmill or using my elliptical is I watch TV. I set-up a TV and DVD player in front of the equipment and I watch full season/series of shows. It keeps me from getting bored and it also motivates me to go on my equipment as I am looking forward to watching the next episode.

Keep me posted on your procress!

Good luck!!
  • Jennyscott27
    Options
    It can be really really tough.I have been on daily medication for years, and probably always will be. It can be hard to stay positive, especially on those down days. All you can do is take a deep breath and keep pushing through. You will get there, I promise :)
  • tracimomoftwo
    Options
    You sound just like me! I am about 4 years older than you though. I really need to lose 100 pounds but I'm shooting for 70 right now. I totally understand the depression. It's hard to be happy when you feel so physically unwell and unhealthy. I really believe we can lose the weight, we just need to keep thinking of that thing in life, that goal, that will make it all worth it. Think of the things that you are grateful for in your life every day. Every time you reach for a favorite junk food, think of why you need to lose the weight. I think positivity makes all of the difference. Good luck, friend.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I easily could have written this post! I have been dealing with weight issues since I was like 9. Pretty much depression set in around then too. I've been on an anti depressant for the last 10 years. Dosage going up and then down the last couple of years. A few years ago I also ended up adding an anti-anxiety. I'm an emotional/comfort eater/drinker as well. It's how I've been dealing with anything (especially any kind of loss - death, relationships, family moving, etc...) since I was 9.

A year ago a light bulb clicked on and I finally decided things HAD to change. I started working out 5-6 days a week. Started tracking my food and eating better. Cut out all fast food, soda, beer, and crap. Lost 41 lbs (it was 50...the last couple months after a 2 week vaca I've been struggling to get back on track until this week...I'm refocused!!!). I started seeing a therapist a few months in to try to get over the trauma I suffered when I was 9 (dad died in car wreck I was also in the car...can you say survivors guilt?!?) Here it is a year and 3 months later and 10-11 months since I had started therapy. I'm feeling soooo much better. I praise the changes that I've made and my therapist for this. Now I still struggle with emotional eating...I'm in the process of "losing" my brother (my bff) and my niece since they are moving to Arizona. They just got back here from living in Ireland for 2 years. Losing them the first time was hard enough, I visited them this year and leaving them when I came back here is probably part of why I've been slack when I got back.

It's really hard and it is a balance, but the trick or key is...to know that you CAN do this!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I say that to myself often. It's simple, but how easy our brains will tell us no, or put in some self doubt bs. Also, if you do have a "bad" day do NOT beat yourself up. It's OKAY!!! You are allowed to have those moments. Every meal, every day is a fresh start. Just make sure you learn from your experiences. If you start with the self doubt, negative self talk because you "gave in" and had something "bad" then it's a vicious cycle that spirals quickly. There really is no bad food, I don't deprive myself of anything, it's all in moderation.

I'm here for you. If you need to talk/vent/rant. I'm a message away.

I think what also helps, is knowing that you are NOT alone. Trust me.
  • beckyholdenxo
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    Suffered depression for years. I tried all things to conquer it.

Thing I found that worked in the end was quitting drinking which I did about 10 months ago. I"ve been much happier in myself since then. I used to "comfort drink" when down. It takes some effort to face the world instead of hiding behind drink or in food, but it makes you a more emotionally strong person if you can.

That said I also found that not drinking enough water made me very down( a dehydrated brain is not a happy brain).

You would probably find exercise will help (due to the endorphins) and also working on your self esteem. My self esteem sucks utterly (putting my current profile picture up was and is not something I am doing easily) and I am working through a CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) book on overcoming it.

FR sent and feel free to add me anyone.
  • beckyholdenxo
    Options
    You look good in your profile picture!

I had a habit of binge drinking when I went out because of the confidence boost it gave me, but being empowered by alcohol is BAD. Numbing my brain to the anxiety and self esteem issues felt good at the time but the next day I crashed something awful. And probably ate a few bars of chocolate and whole loaf of bread in some kind of desperate attempt to feel better. I just got fat, though. Go figure.

I'm actually starting to enjoy exercise...it's fleeting, but it's there. I still find myself wanting to stop but that urge is getting easier to overcome.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I had a habit of binge drinking when I went out because of the confidence boost it gave me, but being empowered by alcohol is BAD. Numbing my brain to the anxiety and self esteem issues felt good at the time but the next day I crashed something awful. And probably ate a few bars of chocolate and whole loaf of bread in some kind of desperate attempt to feel better. I just got fat, though. Go figure.

I'm actually starting to enjoy exercise...it's fleeting, but it's there. I still find myself wanting to stop but that urge is getting easier to overcome.

Drinking. Yup. I know that feeling also all too well. I have definitely in the past used that to cope and last year I did give it up for several months. I'll have a beer or two every now and again, but will NOT let myself get back to using that...

Enjoying exercise...after awhile your body will crave it and you'll feel weird if you don't do it! Just make sure you find things you enjoy doing. Also changing it up helps. Last year I started with a Wii game - The Biggest Loser Challenge...it changed the exercises up and progressively got harder as I got better/stronger/more capable.
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering with depression for a couple of years now and I totally understand when you say you struggle to find the motivation when you are feeling low.

I work extra hard on the good days and try to take the bad days in my stride and don't beat myself up if I fall off the Wagon. I hardly ever drink because like others have said, I find it really affects my mood and it seems to last for days.

I find talking to people on my bad days helps, I used to keep everything to myself and my bad days would become bad weeks.

Stay strong and take each day as it come, you can do it if you really focus on your goal

x
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm on daily medicine for "situational depression," which basically means my situation is making me sad. But mainly I think I was depressed from losing my hair and dealing with some family issues! Go figure. Anyway, I'm only on a very small dose but it keeps me balanced. It makes me less anxious and makes me MORE goal oriented. I would suggest doing it!

Also, I blog almost every day, and I list out my goals for the week. Here's an example:

http://www.lululandadventures.blogspot.com/2013/07/goals-for-week.html

I found "writing" down my goals helps me immensely! Then the next week I'll check off my goals. This has helped me in writing, weight loss, basically anything I'm working on!

Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hey sweetie. I totally hear you. Depression was the reason I gained weight to begin with (about 20 lbs). Before that I was thin. Depression sucks! And I'm sorry you suffer from it too! Hugs.

What has helped me most is seeing a therapist. While you may not think that has to do with the weight loss, my depression has lessened since I started seeing her and I've had more drive to do the things I need to do that naturally help delression, ie, exercise, sunlight (vitamind d), vitamin b12, meditation, mindfullness, etc. i started cooking my own food again. I've already lost 6 lbs. if you can afford a therapist, or you are in school still and can see a counselor, I highly recommend it. Good thoughts with you on your journey! :-)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First, welcome to the site. There are a lot of supportive people on here.

Second, you remind me of myself. I have highs and lows, and while I should be on medication, I'm not. I had to take myself off of my last anti-depressant because it made me suicidal (Sounds crazy, but its true). I have 100+ that I want to lose all together. I want to get into oneder land.

Just keep pushing, and if you do get into a low, and you do eat bad, do not beat yourself up over it. Just keep moving forward.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have found that mentality impacts every part of the weight loss process.

Although it is a very difficult journey, part of taking care of your overall health is taking care of them mental part just as much as the physical.

I understand that therapy is not for everyone but if it is something you would consider than perhaps it would be a good first step.

Additionally, it's a known fact that working out is a big help to depressive symptoms. Although it may be difficult at times, every morning you wake up and feel like you "can't" just do it anyway! It's easier said than done, right? Well, what I did to keep myself motivated on the bad days (I've struggled with depression since I was in my early teens) was set goals for myself to accomplish. Each accomplishment and goal met made me feel better about myself, my self-esteem was getting better each day. Although it's easier said than done, just putting the small goal in your mind of getting up in the morning and working out could be helpful.

We all have bad days, but relishing ourselves in our accomplishments instead of our "failures" is what can keep us going.

You're waking up each day is a success, use it :) and know you always have all the love and support you could ever need here on MFP.

Add me if you'd like!

Best of luck to you!
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you -- everyone in this thread -- for posting so candidly. I have been dealing with depression for eleven years now (realizing that is really frustrating) and today is one of those days where even basic goals seem unattainable. Depression is such a huge obstacle when it seems to weigh down your limbs, dull your mind, and squash your motivation. I'm not really sure how to push through in moments like these, but it's heartening to know none of us are alone.
  • millyish
    millyish Posts: 3
    Options
    I suffer from post-traumatic depression and was wrongly on anti depressants that made me gain weight. I comfort eat still now and would love some support and some people to help motivate me and that I can motivate back. If anyone is interested in getting to know me better, please flick me a message :)
  • PinkPlatinumRN
    PinkPlatinumRN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way alot of times...up and down...I'd love to support you and make it through this journey together :smile:
  • aNewCreation84
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. I have since I was (at least) 14. I am now 29. Eating healthy, along with exercise does, though, help with the symptoms. I am also currently on Pristique which is the best medicine I have found so far for me personally.... even though I hate having to take medicine.

I've been on MFP for almost a year. If you would like, add me. I'll try to be a support to you.