Exercise induced asthma, inhalers and running

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Hello to all my fellow wheezy runners.

For those of you who use a reliever inhaler for exercise induced asthma, rather than a preventer, how do you fit using it into your run? Can I use it before I start or do I need to wait until I start getting symptoms?

I start wheezing about 15 minutes into a hard-ish run, and would have to slow down and catch my breath before I could actually use my inhaler properly.

Am I reading too much into the "reliever" part and I don't actually have to wait until I sound like a 40-a-day smoker?

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use mine before I change into my workout clothes so that it is already working when I take off. My Dr told me that my specific inhaler takes about 15 min to get things completely open. So that's what I do. You might want to ask the dr or pharmacy how long it takes to work. Is it an emergency inhaler like it takes 2 min or a little slower like mine?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I checked it out and it can be used in advance and remains effective for 2-4 hours. More than enough for my run! And yes, it takes a couple of minutes to work.
  • MandyHa27
    MandyHa27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a reliever as well and use it before I leave the house. So about 10 minutes before I start running as recommended by my doctor. It also helps if rather than going faster, I slow down a bit and go for a longer run instead.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I use mine before I change into my workout clothes so that it is already working when I take off. My Dr told me that my specific inhaler takes about 15 min to get things completely open. So that's what I do. You might want to ask the dr or pharmacy how long it takes to work. Is it an emergency inhaler like it takes 2 min or a little slower like mine?

I do this too, two puffs of my blue inhaler whilst changing on doctor's orders. Otherwise I'm a wheezy mess too!
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have asthma anymore but when I did, I used to take it before I went running and then keep it with me (if possible)
  • otterheinman
    Options
    I take my albuteral (2 puffs) and cortisol (1 of 160) 1/2 hour before I go per Dr orders.. and trial and error.

I thought surely I wouldn't have to take it before, so I took it with me and used it once I started wheezing and huffing and puffing... no good!!

Definitely do it before!! Great job!! I LOVE running and was so worried that my asthma would stop me. It's not!
  • aymenz
    aymenz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before - absolutely before!! :o)
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have a rescue, albuterol inhaler and use it during a run, not before. I've found that my asthma is usually only a problem exercise-wise if I'm running outside, as opposed to running indoors or walking outside. (I still have indoor allergy-induced problems, but I assume that's unrelated.) Does anyone else have this exclusively outdoor running problem and had success with the preventative use of a rescue inhaler?
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have a rescue, albuterol inhaler and use it during a run, not before. I've found that my asthma is usually only a problem exercise-wise if I'm running outside, as opposed to running indoors or walking outside. (I still have indoor allergy-induced problems, but I assume that's unrelated.) Does anyone else have this exclusively outdoor running problem and had success with the preventative use of a rescue inhaler?

I only get wheezy if I run outside and it is really cold. In that case I use my inhaler beforehand. If I forget to use it beforehand or just don't think I need it, it still works well when the wheeziness kicks in.
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll try using it before. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my fellow wheezy runners.

For those of you who use a reliever inhaler for exercise induced asthma, rather than a preventer, how do you fit using it into your run? Can I use it before I start or do I need to wait until I start getting symptoms?

I start wheezing about 15 minutes into a hard-ish run, and would have to slow down and catch my breath before I could actually use my inhaler properly.

Am I reading too much into the "reliever" part and I don't actually have to wait until I sound like a 40-a-day smoker?

Search this forum for the last time this topic was covered, a lot of good info there. I know, I put a lot of it there. ;)

Best of luck.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    agree with the peeps above.. i use mine before i head out :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I use it before exercise too. A long slow warm up also helps me. I usually only have this problem when exercising in cold weather.
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I am exclusively screwed if I run outside! I can do 8-12km on a treadmill but not even 4km outside and no luck with prevention or rescue inhalers