Options

Replies

• Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    -Feminine dance moves
    -lots of guys can't dance well
    -ego

I actually like going to many types of group fitness classes, in which I am usually the only guy and I certainly don't mind the company, and I've become quite comfortable going to things like Group Power, Spinning, Yoga, Ripped, but Zumba seems to be at a whole other level that I'm just not comfortable with. Its probably the most feminine class at any gym. oh wait, there is a new one called Barre, which incorporates ballet movements for lower body toning, that one might take the cake.

This.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't care if I look like a bear getting electrocuted, I enjoy it.

:laugh:
  • dlrfit
    dlrfit Posts: 16
    Options
    I take a Zumba class with 2 male instructors who used to be gymnasts. There are always at least 100 people in the class and maybe 5-10% of the regulars are male. I think it boils down to the differences between male and female body compositions. My amateur opinion is that women naturally have a higher body fat percentage, so we need more cardio, and the majority of us see results when we do it. Men are leaner with a higher muscle percentage, so they need more strength training and they see results when they do that. I think if Zumba gave men big muscles, they'd do it.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm a man. I am simple. Therefore, lifting weights makes me happy.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I only dance when I'm drunk and that probably wouldn't go over very well in a Zumba class.

I have been meaning to attend a yoga class, but I still can't get over the idea that the chicks will think I'm there to creepily stare at them twisting themselves in half.

You are. We see you back there.

Oh! Old thread! Got all excited when I thought you were no longer banned. :(
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Zumba is marketed to those who don't prefer traditional work outs (either find them no fun or too confusing/hard). You get the hear the keywords when they market the commercial (fun/easy) like many other infomercials do.

I do just fine with my current work outs. For those who are obese or have no idea how to get an effective workout in, then yeah, go to Zumba.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    On monday nights we do pump together and then I stay with my wife for zumba.. Its fun and lots of movement.
    I can not do the hip movements or the shimmy stuff but I like watching it and trying my best.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I log lots of "zumba".
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Because if I'm going to go dancing, I'm going to a night club. :)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Zumba is marketed to those who don't prefer traditional work outs (either find them no fun or too confusing/hard). You get the hear the keywords when they market the commercial (fun/easy) like many other infomercials do.

I do just fine with my current work outs. For those who are obese or have no idea how to get an effective workout in, then yeah, go to Zumba.

wow so I guess I am obese, gay or just wierd.. Maybe its just fun and you can burn calories doing zumba with beautiful
    women all around you.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've had two male Zumba instructors, both straight (I think) and they were *fantastic*, but they were subs. I wish they were permanent, because they made it a straight hard workout with none of the goofy shimmying that a few of my regular female instructors include. I know it's dance, but I am honestly trying to use it as a workout, not as a "dance party". I love Zumba, and the 55 minutes of cardio flies by, but sometimes I feel like I have to modify the choreography myself in order to get my heart rate up and work it like an athlete instead of a stripper. I can absolutely see men avoiding Zumba classes taught by some of these (very talented) women.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'd rather do my own thing as I work out solely for me. When I lift I'm completely focused on what I'm doing, not looking around. When I run, I disappear into myself and my thoughts or into the music I listen to. I personally despise group workouts with a passion unless it's just me and one or two very similarly situated friends.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When my daughter and I were going to Zumba our instructor was a man. It helped even more that he was a nice piece of eye candy. I thing that is why we continued going.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I've never seen a man in my Zumba class.

The reason *I* started going is because I needed to do something, anything, in the dead of winter and here I am, in my tiny little village, when a Zumba class is offered 2 minutes from my house, right as I'm getting out of work, with a free class. So it was sort of a no brainer and has been a good workout for me.

I wish my husband would do Zumba because I am currently the least coordinated person in class and it would be nice to have someone else to screw up with :)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options

While it it fun I think it's two things:
    1) most of the guys I know don't dance in a mostly dark club unless they're completely tanked so getting them to dance in a well lit room while sobor is laughable.
    2) As a group fit instructor I find that fitness classes are primarily a women's dominated world. Most the women I know love the group atmosphere . . . most of the men I know prefer to work out alone or with one other guy, they don't rove in gaggles.

LOL #1 = truthfact
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Who says they don't? Yeah that's right! I've done it.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It looks fruity and I'm a chick. I abhor it. Much too frilly for my taste. I prefer lifting,cycle or something more male focused.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I don't blame men for not doing it. I've been dragged to it by my friends a few times and found it boring. There are a lot more effective workouts I could do in half the time that would be twice as effective. And for me at least 10x more enjoyable than doing the ChaCha.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'd rather do my own thing as I work out solely for me. When I lift I'm completely focused on what I'm doing, not looking around. When I run, I disappear into myself and my thoughts or into the music I listen to. I personally despise group workouts with a passion unless it's just me and one or two very similarly situated friends.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I've done some classes before and just didn't get much out of them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I took a zumba class once and there were a few guys in it.

There were also guys who took the step aerobics and cardio kick classes.