Stationary biking useless?

Options
So recently iv'e been told that stationary biking does not give you a good enough calorie burn to be considered a 'workout'. I have a recumbent bike at home that I use frequently for 30-45 minutes and was surprised to hear that information. I also do zumba as well as pilates with my biking, but never on the same day.

http://www.nickmitchellblog.com/stationary-bike-workout/

Then I found that article and it got me to thinking. Is stationary really as good of a workout as I thought it was? Any tips would help :( thanks.

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, something is better than nothing. When you are on that bike, you are peddling, probably as fast as you can handle. You are strengthening your legs, and you are burning calories, even if not as many as you would from running or some other form, you are still exercising.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have used the stationary bike and have worked up a really good sweat and burned a decent amount of calories.

I think it all depends on how intense you do it as it does with any other piece of cardio equipment you use. If you just sit there, read a book and half heartedly move your feet then it's a useless waste of time. But if you crank up the resistance, go all out, and if you're on a regular stationary bike, stand up to pedal then you're going to get a good workout and burn.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a slipped vertabrae and use a recumbent bike for my cardio. Walking bothers my back a lot and running, high impact stuff is totally out.

I lost 14 pounds when I was regularly using it (45-55 minutes). I think they key is that you have to realize you won't be buring 700+ calories like a lot of people are who do more aggressive workouts and you have to workout longer and really push yourself. I can peddle comfortable and not break a sweat, or turn up the resistance, stay on at least 45 minutes, and get a very good workout.

Watching calories is also important.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's weird! The stationary bike at my gym says I'm not burning that many calories ( when compared to the eliptical) but I always sweat way more on the bike than I do the eliptical... *shrug* I do it because i enjoy it, and its easy on the knees :)
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Guess it depends on the resistance you have it set at.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the stationary bike. For best results do high intensity intervals
  • kkerri
    Options
    Also, I looked at that website and I think he presumes everyone is capable of working out like he advocates. It's not a reality for a lot of people.

I have such bad joints that I am in pain with squats, lunges, etc. I try to do enough that I maintain some semblance of shape, but I will never be able to workout like that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So recently iv'e been told that stationary biking does not give you a good enough calorie burn to be considered a 'workout'.

Nonsense. I didn't read the blog, but if it says that it's nonsense. A stationary bike works your legs, heart and lungs. Along with the right diet, it may build or maintain leg and ab muscles. Any movement increases calorie burn over being stationary. How many you burn with a stationary bike would depend on your fitness level, the resistance setting on the bike, how hard you push yourself and how long you do it. But it is possible to plenty of calories..
  • kkerri
    Options
    I hired a trainer who recommended weights and workouts similar to what that website shows. In the beginning, I could do it, but eventually it was starting to go the route of burpees, plyometrics, tons of squats, lunges, jumping squats and a whole host of other things. I am sure my body would have looked great, as I was laying in bed every day in pain ;-)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stationary biking is my main cardio exercise, and has been as I have some serious medical conditions. It's worked great for me and I'll continue to do it as it's one of my favorite things to do, turn up the music loud and go all out :)
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    If it gets your heart rate into the aerobic zone for 30 to 45 minutes, than it isn't useless. If it doesn't, then it is useless.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    tell that to the 20 pounds i left somewhere...
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 75 +/- pounds using NOTHING but a recumbent for cardio.....
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Upon reading the blog, I think you misunderstood him IMHO. It's not that the stationary bike is useless for everyone, but it is useless for those who don't push themselves on it....as is any exercise (with or without equipment). That said, I do hate when people generalize like this because it can be confusing for those who don't understand the difference. All activity is good!

If you're sitting on your bike pedaling slowly at the lowest resistance so you can read your book or magazine then yes, it is pretty close to being a waste of time if you're looking to get actual benefits from this activity. While you're doing a bit more than you would be sitting on the couch, it's not much more. As with any exercise, you have to keep pushing yourself. Set the resistance as high as you can stand it, look up spinning routines and try them out, even use your arm more by doing things like shoulder presses , bicep curls, etc while your'e sitting there. There is always room for improvement.
    Perceived Exertion
    •Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
    •Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
    •Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
    •Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
    •Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
    •Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
    •Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
    •Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
    •Level 9: I am probably going to die
    •Level 10: I am dead

It's good to be somewhere between level 4 and 6 for moderate workouts and higher is obviously more intense. Talking is usually a good clue - if you can't talk, you're doing a pretty intense workout.

And he's right, walking slowly on the treadmil would at least have slightly more health benefits than pedaling slowly with no resistance on the bike because at least walking includes impact which helps bone structure.