PILATES

Options
hey guys,

what are the benifits of pilates?
i have a dvd sitting at home thinking of trying it..

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I love pilates. It's a fantastic way to strengthen and build lean muscle.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Pilates
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I'm anticipating a certain MFP 'celebrity' to trundle in here soon and start throwing bro science all around.

That aside, Pilates is a great workout. Great for building core strength.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pilates is very good for building a lean, flexible, strong body without bulking up. It is also a big stress reliever for me. I love it! The DVD that I do uses a strech band, and it is a pretty tough workout! You will get some serious core workout with it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Pilates is very good for building a lean, flexible, strong body without bulking up. It is also a big stress reliever for me. I love it! The DVD that I do uses a strech band, and it is a pretty tough workout! You will get some serious core workout with it!

*sigh*

Women can't "bulk up" without testosterone/roids.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Good for core strength and mobility in general. Also to some extent seems to be good for relaxation. I find it works well for active recovery on days where I'm not able to do something more intense
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Pilates. I've been more into it this week since getting to the gym is more difficult without my husband here to care for the dogs.

I'm planning to get a nicer (thicker) mat and the resistance bands to start doing Mari Winsor's Slimming Pilates.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options

*sigh*

It does say, "...without bulking up."
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Following. Pilates DVD's are more of a cold-weather type exercise for me. I do a lot of walking and gardening during the warmer months. Oh....and curious who the "MFP celebrity" is. :wink:
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It is good for core strength and all the stretches really help even out any twists or turns in the body. The stretches and lots of the exercises also lengthen out the muscle. The term 'bulk' is highly subjective IMO and I don't care who doesn't like that statement because I know what my body does. If I do a gym workout, use weights (even small ones) I pack on muscle which doesn't suit me, some people look fabulous building muscle - I however don't. I find with the pilates that it gives you more of a ballet dancers lean-ness and strength that I, at least, can't achieve in the gym.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Following. Pilates DVD's are more of a cold-weather type exercise for me. I do a lot of walking and gardening during the warmer months. Oh....and curious who the "MFP celebrity" is. :wink:

Well around here it gets SO hot and SO humid/muggy...it's unbearable to work out outside. Had near heat stroke last year. No good.
  • weezbagy
    weezbagy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's helped with my back pain, lifted my butt, and helped me lean out through my torso and thighs. I've been going back to the Mari Winsor dvds for years. I really miss it (and feel it!) when I'm not doing it regularly.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Well around here it gets SO hot and SO humid/muggy...it's unbearable to work out outside. Had near heat stroke last year. No good.

And I totally get this ^^. I've been leaning heavily on my dvds this summer, and cut wayyyy down on my running.
  • jemcclu1
    jemcclu1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pilates is amazing! Check out Cassey Ho, Blogilates.com she uploads tons of pilates videos for free on youtube and there is something for everyone on her website. She incorporates cardio too so you get a good fat burn!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    images1.jpg

Lol in all seriousness Pilates is amazing, I agree with all that jemccle1 says.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Benefits - build long, lean muscle and strong core - Impact - tighter middle and better posture :)
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

*sigh*

*sigh* I have done weights in the gym, and I know what I feel and look like: bulky! I don't get that with Pilates. Thanks for the correction, but my statement was correct for me.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    d546c3ef7bc775c381fe86f41bfa9a11.jpg

Just had to throw this out there...

I remember doing the advanced teaser yesterday (flat on your back, arms back all the way up to the teaser position)...I can finally get there without shaking and wobbling like Jell-o!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Pilates is amazing! Check out Cassey Ho, Blogilates.com she uploads tons of pilates videos for free on youtube and there is something for everyone on her website. She incorporates cardio too so you get a good fat burn!

Thanks for the tip! I think I just found my new workout series!