Must Haves for at Home Fitness...

I love working out at home to be honest. I'm talking weight training equipment above all else BUT share your must haves whether it be DVDs, resistance bands, cardio machines...(I'm looking into buying the Bowflex dumbbells).

Throw it all at me! I'd love ideas.

edited for my horrible typos

Replies

• SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Hey!! Congrats on your weight loss! I've been utilizing my treadmill and that's it. For strength training, it's been squats, crunches and push-ups! lol I'm kinda a beginner though, so....yeah! I've been wanting to try elipticals and stationary bikes. I LOVE mowing the lawn, esp with the hills that I have - that gives me some cardio and strength training all in one. =)

Hope all is well!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Depends on what your work out goals are. If I stopped going to the gym, I would definitely want a barbell, bench, and weights... and a full length mirror. Some dumb bells would be nice, maybe a stair master or elliptical... but not must haves. (For me, I'm looking to get more into lifting, rather than strength training).
  • nataliecarter28
    nataliecarter28 Posts: 54 Member
    my must haves: just a pair of 3 pound weights. doesn't sound like much but there are so much you can do with a pair of weights, that's all I really need. I also have a 6 pound medicine ball that I recently got. I love it, and don't ever want to not have it again.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Depends on what your work out goals are. If I stopped going to the gym, I would definitely want a barbell, bench, and weights... and a full length mirror. Some dumb bells would be nice, maybe a stair master or elliptical... but not must haves. (For me, I'm looking to get more into lifting, rather than strength training).

Yeah lifting is what I want to get more into. I'm looking into the heavy stuff!! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Look into TRX Suspension training. Weighs 2lbs and offers more exercises to do with body weight resistance than just about any home machine that I've seen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lovenaire
    lovenaire Posts: 10
    All you need is some bands, the bowflex dumbells (love them!), a pull up bar, and a yoga mat. You can do everything with those. Push ups for chest. (wide grip, military, one armed, supermans etc.. you dont need weights for chest.) But later on, if you realy really want to. Then you can add a bench with an adjustable back. Other than that is a waste of money and space. IMO
  • Rkrmy
    Rkrmy Posts: 1
    Zuzka Light - she incorporates very little equipment and a lot of body weight but packs a punch for muscle toning and cardio in one. DVDs or free youtube workouts or now a membership. Of course I love the free videos best. :^)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    A pull up bar
    everything else is a luxury
  • mandeenicoleb
    Look into TRX Suspension training. Weighs 2lbs and offers more exercises to do with body weight resistance than just about any home machine that I've seen.

IDEA Fitness member

I know my gym had it, but never got to use it. I never considered it at home. Thanks! I love using my own body weight.
    A pull up bar

My bf has one at his place and I am definitely planning on using it whenever I am over!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

IDEA Fitness member

I know my gym had it, but never got to use it. I never considered it at home. Thanks! I love using my own body weight.
    A pull up bar

My bf has one at his place and I am definitely planning on using it whenever I am over!

Why not get your own? It's like $30 on amazon for an Iron Gym Pull Up bar. I have one and I use it often.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    If my house burned down and i lost my extensive home gym, the first two things I would buy are:

1. A jump rope
    2. a suspension trainer
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Power rack
    Oly bar
    plates

Dumbells are optional but if you get the adjustable kind make sure they can go above 60-60 lbs. Many kinds do not.
  • starfish1783
    starfish1783 Posts: 120
    BUMP!

I definitely need some ideas. Currently I only have a recumbent stationary bike (got a bad leg) and some fitness dvd's like Jillian Michaels. I want to set up my own little gym area in my basement though, so I'm definitely taking notes! :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    My only absolute must have: good shoes.

I enjoy also having a barbell and bench set, some dumbbells, and a smart phone with Runkeeper.

EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation was a good way to get started, since it was interactive and corrected me on form, and I could customize my own workouts.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

IDEA Fitness member

A pull up bar

Why not get your own? It's like $30 on amazon for an Iron Gym Pull Up bar. I have one and I use it often.

Unless it pops up on Woot again, I got mine for 20$ there lol
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    If you are interested in heavy weight training I would second the power rack, bench, oly bar and plates. I found all of mine really cheap on Craig's list.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    We have a bench, barbell, two adjustable dumbbells and plates that can be interchanged with the barbell and the dumbbells. We started out with a bunch of low weight plates but have been adding on to the collection as necessary. We also have a recumbent bike, a variety of fitness DVDs, and things like jump ropes and kickballs. Now that my knee is mostly better the recumbent has been getting dusty because I prefer to ride my real bike out in the real world, until winter comes around again.

I'd like to do some rearranging to make it easier to see my Youtube videos and my form at the same time, as it is I have my husband or daughter tell me if I'm doing it right. There are some great starting-lifting videos on Youtube. DH has promised to turn the shed into a workout room once we're done remodeling the bathroom; I look forward to some more intense home training soon.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    A pull up bar and a Jungle Gym XT (a suspension trainer similar to TRX, but doesn't cost as much).
  • mandeenicoleb

IDEA Fitness member

A pull up bar

I spend most the week at my bfs and with my schedule only a couple of hours a week "at home." I don't consider it my home! It's a very crowded household with my family and still months off from moving out. This is an extremely long story :)

but I have stuff to use when I'm at my house and would like to start working out when I'm over there so I'm so using the pull up bar that he probably only touches twice a year lol.
  • How do you guys find the motivation to workout at home?!?! Do people really use DVDs to workout? For me its just to easy to press pause and stop working out.

Need help and advice! Thanks!