20 year old woman taking whey protein shakes?

Options
Hey, i'm 20 years old, about 142 pounds and im trying to lose fat while also toning up. Ive been mixing whey protein with almond milk about once a day and I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I work out about 4 times a week doing both 30 min of cardio and 30 min of strength training (lifting weights, squats, lunges, etc). I usually get about 120-130 grams of protein when i take the shakes which i think is good.

So, my questions are:
1. Is this the right thing to do? Is it preventing me from losing weight?
2. Should I take the protein on days i'm not lifting/working out?

HELP

Replies

• flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hey, i'm 20 years old, about 142 pounds and im trying to lose fat while also toning up. Ive been mixing whey protein with almond milk about once a day and I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I work out about 4 times a week doing both 30 min of cardio and 30 min of strength training (lifting weights, squats, lunges, etc). I usually get about 120-130 grams of protein when i take the shakes which i think is good.

So, my questions are:

HELP

protein is just food. It is just a processed, powedered food. Feel free to eat it like a food. If it fits your macros and calories go right ahead and have that shake.

Usually 2 out of my 3 meals a day are shakes.

The only time it can be an issue is sometimes people who want to lose weight will start just consuming shakes only for all meals and be missing key micronutrients. This can happen with ANY food though. I knew someone who only ate tuna and her diet was servely lacking as she tried to lose a ton of weight.

so again, it is just a powedeered, processed food. Feel free to incorporate in moderation as necessary.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    ^^ This.

I use them to make sure I hit my protein macro and after workouts. Nothing wrong with drinking shakes.

ETA: It will NOT keep you from losing weight. If anything, making sure you eat enough protein will help you to keep lean muscle while losing fat
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options

So, my questions are:

HELP

protein is just food. It is just a processed, powedered food. Feel free to eat it like a food. If it fits your macros and calories go right ahead and have that shake.

Usually 2 out of my 3 meals a day are shakes.

The only time it can be an issue is sometimes people who want to lose weight will start just consuming shakes only for all meals and be missing key micronutrients. This can happen with ANY food though. I knew someone who only ate tuna and her diet was servely lacking as she tried to lose a ton of weight.

so again, it is just a powedeered, processed food. Feel free to incorporate in moderation as necessary.

that's a typo...just so noboby freaks out 2 of my 5 or 6 meals a day are shakes. Not 2/3 lol
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    High protein is the way to go, it is the last micro nutrient to be changed to fat, and helps to grow muscle. If you are trying to drop body fat % it is a long process if you have very little to lose, how much of a calorie deficit are you eating at? Oh and remember that almond milk is high calorie.
  • Dimenick26
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering what kind of protein powder do u use?
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    High protein is the way to go, it is the last micro nutrient to be changed to fat, and helps to grow muscle. If you are trying to drop body fat % it is a long process if you have very little to lose, how much of a calorie deficit are you eating at? Oh and remember that almond milk is high calorie.

How so? Mine is 30 calories for a cup. That seems pretty low to me.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It won't prevent you from losing weight unless you are going over on calories. You need protein (in addition to strength training) to retain lean body mass. If you can't get what you need from food, get it from shakes. Just keep an eye on the calories.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    1. It is def the right thing to do as you want to lose fat and maintain muscle so what you reveal when you lose the weight isn't fat, skin and bones.

2. Repairing your muscles does not just happen on the days you lift so it is important to eat a higher level of protein on off days as well.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's 'better' to hit your protein intake through food.

It's often more practical to supplement your protein intake with whey.

I eat whey...lots.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    My first choice to get my protein goal is always regular, solid food. However, it is tough for me sometimes so I will throw in a shake for convenience.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    It's 'better' to hit your protein intake through food.

It's often more practical to supplement your protein intake with whey.

I eat whey...lots.

No whey!
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Whey!
  • daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options

my deficit is about 500. also almond milk is actually very low calorie.. only 30 cal a cup
  • daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering what kind of protein powder do u use?

i just use my store brand whey protein. its 110 calories and 20 g of protein a scoop