Calories In Calories Out: Is it just a myth???

Options
I always hear them say on the Biggest Loser that the key to losing weight is calories in has to not exceed and actually be less than calories out. I was just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Disease and the pamphlet says it is almost impossible to lose weight if you have this condition. Something that made me cry because I have been trying so hard. So what is the deal? Is calories out vs. calories in just a myth? Is there anyone out there who has this condition and could offer me some advice.

Thanks in advance
Hemi's Mom

Replies

• mmmpink
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out isn't just a myth.
    Go to the forums and search PCOS b/c there are already a few discussions regarding it there. At the very least, you'll find some friends who are dealing with the same issues.
  • fat2skiny
    Options
    No it's not a myth. It will be harder to lose but not impossible... just keep at it and find a support network. :smile:
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, but I don't have much advice to offer, though I wish I did. I was diagnosed almost a year and a half ago, luckily I don't have the weight issue that usually accompanies PCOS. If I were you I would speak with your doctor and maybe a nutritionist. There are a lot of websites also dedicated to PCOS that may give you more guidance too - I did A LOT of reading when I was diagnosed so that I would better understand the condition.

On another note, I'm not sure where you are regarding pregnancy if or ever, but I was not ovulating due to the PCOS. Chlomid didn't work for me, but Femara did. . .and now I have a precious baby girl who's almost 5 months old.

I wish you the best in working through this! I hope you find an answer!! :flowerforyou:
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had no trouble losing weight with this condition, I've heard the only way its hard is if you have to take the depo shot for treatment (my doc put me on high dose birth control). Just keep counting your calories and working out and I promise you'll be fine!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have pcos too and it is hard, but not impossible, to lose weight. it WILL depend a LOT on WHAT you eat. for me, i have to watch my carbs. i try to get only 25% of my calories from carbs. if i go over that, i will gain no matter what my calorie consumption is like (even if i am technically at a deficit). i work closely with my doctor and a dietician. you can do this!!
    dawn
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments they are appreciated!