C25k challenge

Options

Replies

• smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    How exciting! I started C25K a few months ago and have been doing it as I am able and the weather cooperates. I'm another one of those who walked in elementary school gym class and thought I was going to pass out during Week 1 of the program.

I'm currently in Week 5; kind of stuck because the humidity is messing with my brain. Getting stronger every day, though, and I know I'm gonna do this.

Let me suggest if you haven't already, join the C25K group on here for lots of motivation as well as great advice and information. Anyone feel free to add me if you want!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just started this week! Wanna be buddies and motivate each other??? I'm gonna send a FR just in case! :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did C25k about 3 years ago. I could barely make week 1 day 1. This year I ran 4 10ks (in January), my first 1/2 marathon, spartan sprint, my first mini Triathlon, I have 2 5ks coming up then tough mudder.

Just watch out, this stuff is addictive.
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8. I am loving it!
  • Ce87girl
    Ce87girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am so afraid to start this program! I have arthritis and I am just so embarassed to run outside - I live right off a busy street and there isn't a surface long or flat enough. I'll have to get myself to a gym :frown:
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at w8d2 for about a week or so ... not sure if it's the humidity or just burnout/fatigue.

BUT. I can say I am a runner. I ran a 5K! I came in 3rd in my age group! so if I have a few weeks of "bad" runs ... I'm still running, I'm still doing it, go go go!
  • tkopps
    tkopps Posts: 341
    Options
    I did the C25K during the late summer of 2011 and it paid off. I was able to lose 17 kilos and keep it off. At the beginning of June I participated in the Ultrabalaton (relay race with 10 people for 212 km!!!). I did 2 legs (one for 11,5 and another for 7.0). I currently run about 6 km 2-3 times per week. In two weeks, my husband and I are planning to participate in a 8K at night! Should be fun.

C25K is a great way to start getting into shape. For everyone who is just starting or in the middle, keep it up!!!
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at the 8 minute mark...
    It just seems pointless to me to run continually for more than that at any 1 time. Yeah, I'm NOT one of those people who loves running :/
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i've completed it and now am on my second round of 5k to 10k.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 2 with the Zombies Run! app. My right knee is giving me fits and I've all the sudden developed shin splints this week. No matter. I got some good shoes, a knee brace, and I'm icing my legs after each run. I'm hoping this takes care of it. I signed up for the Color Run in September, too. It'll be my first.

The thing I hate most (besides the knee thing and the shin thing) is how I feel all my extra pounds bouncing around in my hips, butt, and thighs. My husband ran with me the other day and I asked him straight out if he could see all my junk bouncing around from the back. He haltingly admitted that yes, he could. But, he was so proud of me for even being out there and doing it, what did it matter? It's only temporary until the weight starts coming off again.

I've been able to lose about 60 pounds since February through diet alone, but I felt like it was time to start tightening up with some exercise. But, now I've noticed my scale seems frozen. I've been taking measurements this whole time, so in another week or so, I'll measure again, just to reassure myself that my body's changing. It's just hard right now with the pain and the weight loss stall.

Anybody can add me, just please include a brief msg in your request. Thanks!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 is the most glorious run.
    [/quote]

Oh I hope so and can't wait!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey for the bouncing......get yourself some shape wear.....I don't like the tight fitting where everyone can see every roll or curve...so I wear tight shape wear under my normal t shirt and pants. No bounce :) Also if your not opposed to supplements I cannot tell you how much osteo biflex and fish oil have helped my knees! And if I over do it a good soak in tub with epsom salts totally helps!
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will check out the supplements. I actually don't mind the tight fitting stuff. Just ordered more C9 gear. But maybe next time, I'll get an even smaller size to help w/ "dat bounce" lol!
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OMG can I just tell you how much I love you guys? I'm so doing this! So I hear some of you saying that you're stuck or repeating days? How does the program work? If you can't do one day, you keep repeating that day until you can? Do the apps tell you what to do while you're doing it? I just really have NO idea how to start. Which app is the best, etc? Sorry for all of the annoying questions!!
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It was so encouraging to read all of your replies. You are all amazing. Anyone who is looking for support thru the process please add me. I just finished week 1. And I feel amazing. It's just so cool that I ran a total of 8 minutes yesterday. So proud of myself for the first time in forever!!
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    Get10fit what kind of phone do you have?? Or iPod touch?? There are two great apps out there. The one I use is on the apple store. It's 0 to 5k to 10k by clear sky I am loving it. Gives you badges as you make different achievements. Plays your music in the background and tells you when to start stop and reached halfway point. Don't think I coulda been doing this program without it.
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    i've completed it and now am on my second round of 5k to 10k.

That is where I wanna be in 10 weeks :)
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    I am so afraid to start this program! I have arthritis and I am just so embarassed to run outside - I live right off a busy street and there isn't a surface long or flat enough. I'll have to get myself to a gym :frown:

I have horrible juvenile arthritis. I met with my dr before I started. I take some ibfrufen before the run. Surprisingly after one week of running I don't hurt anymore than I normally do. Give it a try. Sometimes you would surprise yourself how well you can do.
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    I'm starting the C25k tomorrow and can't wait to run again!! We can do this.

Yay!! Congrats!
  • soonerkt87
    soonerkt87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i just finished week 2, so far I am loving it!