Headaches & lightheaded :(

Options

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

So for a while now I have been having headaches, feeling tired, light headed, having occasional stomache pains, and sometimes feel nauseous. I have no clue what's wrong with me :( I always make sure I eat enough and am trying to drink more water. I workout about 3 x a week but nothing too intense.

I am not trying to diagnose myself or anything, but I am wondering if I may have a gluten intolerance? I am going to try to go gluten free for a month to see the difference it makes. I don't know what else could be wrong.

Any ideas?

stats: 110lbs, 5"2'

Thanks,

Rachel

Hi Rachel. Sounds like CNS fatigue. I went through that during my first 4 weeks of my cut. Overtrained and did not eat enough. What's your consumption like? Potatssium levels? etc.

Fats? Carbs? All of these things our bodies need so when you make a drastic change it rebels!
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    I do use pure powdered stevia several times a day. I could try cutting back on it and seeing if that makes a difference.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    check your blood sugar levels as well. sometimes they can be thrown off when you change your diet
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing some headache/lightheaded/dizziness lately as well. I think it may be either an inner ear problem or BP. I have had HBP for some time and am on meds. But with the recent weight loss I maybe don't need to be taking them anymore. I am going to go see my doctor soon to determine if I still need to take the meds.

Check out what Mayo Clinic says about it:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dizziness/DS00435/DSECTION=causes
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well I have those symptoms when I have not had enough salt in my diet for a while (esp dizzy spells and light-headedness). I've got low blood pressure as does my mother and we both get these symptoms when we have not had enough (rare for her she is a salt fiend lol). I also find heavy exercise and hot days (anything that makes me sweat) means I have to have more salt then I would normally have. I know everyone gives salt a bad rep in the fitness world but it is possible to not have enough. The very best of luck to you :smile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    my calories are set around 1300 and I always eat back my exercise cals.

So even at that, you may not be eating enough.

Consider checking out http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

looking at your diary, you tend to eat pretty well... and most days it's still hitting goals. That said, just consider the above link.

ETA: went back further and there were days where you weren't netting even your base goal... that goal is already with a deficit built in. You aren't doing yourself any favors by eating less than the 1300 that you have set already.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    eat a little bit more, drink more water
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    You need carbs, fat, and more calories.
    Options
    I had the exact same symptoms when I had trouble with my gallbladder, but it could be anything really so a full check up from your doc is what I would do :-)

Me too! Stupid Gallbladder can make a person soooo sick!

I would def. go to the doctor. These symtoms are just ones you dont want to test out theories on your own. By the time you go "gluten free" for a few weeks, you could be 10 times worse off than you are now.
  • christieorange
    christieorange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google Anti-Candida diet.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Dehydration....
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor could be a number of things. I was having the same issue, went to the doctor high blood pressure but just slightly. We needed to figure out why it was high, I'm 23 semi-fit not over weight should NOT have high blood pressure. Took allergy test, have taken everything out I was allergic to; Gluten, Eggs and Scallops. And blood pressure back to normal and I feel awesome!! Make sure you are drinking lots of water and getting sleep. That’s my advice.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of headaches and weird feelings for a long time, stomach issues (pain, gas, bloating) and I cut out gluten and feel 10X better. Hardly any headaches now unless I eat too much gluten. That being said, the doctor can't test you unless you are currently eating gluten. Otherwise, you have to go back to eating it for 2 weeks and then they can run the test. I just decided I feel better without it and didn't want to have to eat it for 2 weeks to be able to be tested.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think before you start self treating you should see a doctor as your symptoms could be any of a number of things. Definitely do NOT go off gluten before this as testing for celiac disease will be likely inaccurate (false negative) if you cut gluten out.

Good luck!
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    have you ever had your blood sugars tested? The symptoms for both low and high blood sugars are remarkably similar and sound very close to what you are experiencing. What is your calorie intake btw? Do you feel worse after a work out? I really would talk to your doc....
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)... As for the dizziness I sympathise I've had it before, usually down to my irregular eating habits and low sugar levels(much improved..lol), Got worse if I exercised, bad eating habits also resulted in IBS causing stomach cramps and as for the headaches, I've recently had an eye exam and in need of reading glasses....May not be relevant but all helps :)...x
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions here, but if this is constant/persistant you really should consult your doctor. It could be a simple allergy (ok, so gluten allergies aren't so simple), however, it could also be something else that you cannot self diagnose.

Good luck!
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    My intake is about 1300 a day. I usually feel better after a workout.
    I think I have had my blood sugar tested in the past and it was fine, but I will get it checked again at the Dr.

have you ever had your blood sugars tested? The symptoms for both low and high blood sugars are remarkably similar and sound very close to what you are experiencing. What is your calorie intake btw? Do you feel worse after a work out? I really would talk to your doc....
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing some headache/lightheaded/dizziness lately as well. I think it may be either an inner ear problem or BP. I have had HBP for some time and am on meds. But with the recent weight loss I maybe don't need to be taking them anymore. I am going to go see my doctor soon to determine if I still need to take the meds.

Check out what Mayo Clinic says about it:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dizziness/DS00435/DSECTION=causes

Dianna, get to your dr right away to get your bp checked. Most likey your weight loss has helped bring your bp down and now your meds are way too strong.
  • NaomiL9
    NaomiL9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i don't think a gluten intollerance would cause dizziness. I agree that it could be low iron. Eat some red meat and see how you feel.