Working out on the Sabbeth Day

Options
This is a question for Jews and Christians, If you have worked out 4 days and you are trying to get your 5th day in and something happened to where you could not workout Friday/Saturday would you workout on your Sabbeth Day if it didn't Interfier with Temple/Church? I am just interested.

Me, yes I would workout on Sunday because I have a 13.1 Mile Marathon to get ready for and I need to workout 5 days a week. What I do since my GYM is only open from 12p-4P on Sunday I leave for the GYM after I eat my Sunday dinner. And well I attend a Mega Church with 5 Services, I go to the 6 Pm Service. I have seen some of my older Christian friends, that is in my Wieght-loss group no less disapprove of me doing that. (Keep in mind these people have been attending Church since the 1970s.)

Replies

• kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would work out on Sunday. The Lord tells us our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and you are keeping the temple in top shape. You are still honoring the Sabbath and attending both services.

For those who "disapprove", it is not their place. They are guilty of sin by passing that judgment. "And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Matthew 7:3" Judgment and criticism is a huge problem within the whole body of believing Christians. Sure there are commandments and instructions that we are supposed to follow, but we are supposed to hold OURSELVES accountable and not condemn others.

As long as you pray and ask The Lord to guide you in your decision making, it doesn't matter at all what everyone else thinks.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep. Jesus healed on the Sabbath, after all.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would work out on Sunday. The Lord tells us our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and you are keeping the temple in top shape. You are still honoring the Sabbath and attending both services.

For those who "disapprove", it is not their place. They are guilty of sin by passing that judgment. "And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Matthew 7:3" Judgment and criticism is a huge problem within the whole body of believing Christians. Sure there are commandments and instructions that we are supposed to follow, but we are supposed to hold OURSELVES accountable and not condemn others.

As long as you pray and ask The Lord to guide you in your decision making, it doesn't matter at all what everyone else thinks.

I wish more people thought like you
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes. As a Christian I would and do work out on the Sabbath, Christ died/ascended to fullfill the law.. we no longer need to live by any of the OT laws as Christians, that includes the 10 commandments and observing the sabbath.
  • jtobenchain
    jtobenchain Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went to a service a few weeks ago that discussed the Sabbath. Basically, the Sabbath is meant for a time to focus on God and worship Him. If you enjoy working out then I do not see it as a problem, personally. That's me, not God. The pastor said something about how he enjoys washing cars, so he did that on his Sabbath since it wasn't really work.

Me? I like to exercise so on Sunday I will pop my headphones in and turn up the Christian music while I work out. Who says you can't worship and honor God during a workout?
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's okay to work out on the Sabbath. If it doesn't interfere with church attendance or family time, I sometimes will. I agree with another post that anyone who judges is guilty of sin anyway, so let the Lord guide you! I also agree that the body is a temple and we are supposed to take good care of what we were given. That being said, I usually don't work out on Sunday because I count that my total rest day. I may do some light weights but that's usually it.
  • jtobenchain
    jtobenchain Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also there is nothing in the Bible that says the day you attend church has to be your Sabbath. This is just tradition, really. Pastors have to work on Sunday, so a lot of times they take Sabbath a different day. Just food for thought :)
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If your god created you in his image, then why would he restrict you from working out any day?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...a 13.1 Mile Marathon...

Workout (or don't) whenever you chose, but please don't refer to a Half Marathon as you did above. :)

Thanks!
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I get up early Sunday mornings so I can get a long run in before going to church.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As long as you do preacher curls your're gtg.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As long as you do preacher curls your're gtg.
    FTW
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Me, yes I would workout on Sunday because I have a Half Marathon to get ready for and I need to workout 5 days a week. What I do since my GYM is only open from 12p-4P on Sunday
    Run outside. That's where most races happen anyway.
    I leave for the GYM after I eat my Sunday dinner. And well I attend a Mega Church with 5 Services, I go to the 6 Pm Service.

Run early in the morning. That's the coolest time of day anyway.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Orthodox Jews walk to Temple on the Sabbath/Saturday. Depending on how far away, the walk can be a good burn. But that's all. Most conservative and reform Jews are permitted to exercise on the Sabbath, and they drive cars on the Sabbath.

Christians don't follow those rules. Christians can work on Sunday, can walk on Sunday, can exercise on Sunday.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If anyone doesn't like it you can run to church ;) Or walk, if you prefer to do as the medieval Christians likely did.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is a question for Jews and Christians, If you have worked out 4 days and you are trying to get your 5th day in and something happened to where you could not workout Friday/Saturday would you workout on your Sabbeth Day if it didn't Interfier with Temple/Church? I am just interested.

The Jewish Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It is not on Sunday.

I don't know of any rules in the Torah stating one cannot exercise on the Sabbath.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Orthodox Jews walk to Temple on the Sabbath/Saturday. Depending on how far away, the walk can be a good burn. But that's all. Most conservative and reform Jews are permitted to exercise on the Sabbath, and they drive cars on the Sabbath.

Christians don't follow those rules. Christians can work on Sunday, can walk on Sunday, can exercise on Sunday.
    Some more strict faiths and Mormons are not allowed to work on Sunday. I don't know about exercise, but they wouldn't be allowed to go to a gym because (Mormons, anyway) are not allowed to cause others to work on Sunday.