Advice for accurate weight on scale? Scale brands?

Options
Hi I bought a 20$ digital scale at Target which I am going to return because it is pissing me off!! For example this morning I put it on the bathroom floor (tile) and tapped it to clear it. Then when I stepped on it, it said 156.6, then I stepped off, cleared it again and back on it said 160.2. Two minutes later it said 158.4. Two minutes later 159 then 156 again. WTF!!! This is wasting my time in the morning trying to get an accurate reading!! Any brand recomendations? Or am I just doing this wrong? It is so frustrating.

Replies

• DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this, too. I have an expensive scale that tracks 4 people's weight, bmi, etc. However, it is so variable I can't trust it. I weigh about 195. Sometimes it reads 147, 156...random numbers. Changing the batteries doesn't help. My mother has the same scale she bought in the '50's (non digital) and it is still accurate. This is my third digital scale and they have all given random readings. What is a good brand?
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    we have a weight watchers scale. it tells you your weight in digital form and also gives decimals.
    it's very accurate. i weighed myself in the morning and the doctors scale said the same weight a couple hours later.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is why a mirror and tape measure/clothes are a better gauge than a scale. That being said, I bought mine at wal-mart for around $30 and it's never failed me. I mean, who knows how accurate it is but it doesn't fluctuate as you've described. If I can find it online, I will post the link.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I had a Biggest Loser scale and it sucked. It kept throwing different numbers at me each time.

I bought this one and I am pleased!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042TKZ1O/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I weight myself over and over in the same time frame it reads the same. If I go drink a cup of water and weigh myself again, it'll reflect it. Weigh myself 3 more times after, same number.

Edit: My typos today reflect my lack of sleep last night.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had a Biggest Loser scale and it sucked. It kept throwing different numbers at me each time.

I bought this one and I am pleased!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042TKZ1O/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I weight myself over and over in the same time frame it reads the same. If I go drink a cup of water and weight myself again, it'll reflect it. Wiegh myself 3 more times after, same number.

Mine isn't on wal-mart's site anymore but it's as accurate as the one described here.
  • jtsledhead
    Options
    I've always heard that the scales that doctors use are the most accurate.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We have an expensive digital scale that measures weight, BMI, water weight, and bone density. Depending where I put it on the bathroom floor I get a different reading each time that can sometime range up to 5 lbs. So frusterating!!!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use the scale at my Y, its a doctors scale (called a balnace beam scale... they have them on amazon for about $130...yikes :p) and I read there the most accurate... I haven't bothered to buy my own because I go there 3 times per week anyways so I just weigh while i'm there :) I've heard that the digital ones are less accurate though, with unreliable readings.... I don't know if its true though :p

Here's a good link to help with choosing one :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70320-accurate-weight-scale/