Walking 5.2 MPH calorie burn???

Options
I am fairly new to MFP and have a question. Out of shape and overweight, I started walking and hitting the elliptical 5 days a week three months ago. I am now doing 55 minutes on the elliptical and walking 30 minutes at lunch. My question is that I am now averaging 5.2 MPH while walking and have not found a calculator that will tell me the amount of calories I’m burning. Everything I have seen only goes to 5 MPH then it starts with running and I am fairly sure that running and walking burn at different rates. Can anyone help?

BTW, MFP and this community board has been a God send for me. Thank you ALL!!

15 lbs down !!!

ISC256

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Are you jogging? 5.2 is a very fast pace to walk. I can do 4 but I'm only 5'4. Anything faster than that and I would be jogging.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow..5.2 is jogging for me, and at a sorta quick clip. Brisk walking for me is 4.0
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That is crazy fast to be walking....are you walking outside or on a treadmill? If on a treadmill, are you hanging on to the machine? This will effect the numbers. The best I could find is below

Calories per Mile for 160 Pound Person
    Walking
    2.0 mph - 91
    2.5 mph - 87
    3.0 mph - 85
    3.5 mph - 83
    4.0 mph - 91
    4.5 mph - 102
    5.0 mph - 116
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Since I have gotten my heart rate monitor I have found I average a burn of 100 calories a mile...no matter how fast I go, it's just when I run, I get done sooner :-)
  • isc256
    isc256 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not jogging. I have a big warehouse and I just do laps walking very fast. Started at 4 MPH and have just built up from there. The forklifts are all at lunch so I don't have to worry about getting run over. 6'3" myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Also, you're getting a bit OCD with an extra 0.2 miles...you're never going to be exact, it's all an estimate...and calorie calculators and data bases can be wildly off. You can assume also, roughly 100 calories give or take per mile either walking or running...the faster you walk or run the faster you get done with the mile, but the calorie burn is roughly equivalent.

If you really want to dial it in, I suggest investing in a decent HRM with a chest strap...that's going to be the most accurate for an aerobic event, but still an estimate. I believe Polar models tested out to be roughly 70% accurate for calorie burn for running or walking...somewhat less so for other aerobic events and not accurate at all for anaerobic events like strength training.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Use this for walking and running

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

And yeah, "walking" at 5mph is uncomfortable for me, I tend to start running just to lengthen my stride.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you jogging? 5.2 is a very fast pace to walk. I can do 4 but I'm only 5'4. Anything faster than that and I would be jogging.

This^

Are you really tall? .... a person with a longer gait could get a faster MPH (my guess). I'm 5'5" and can go 4.3 if I really push it (this is on a treadmill ....ZERO terrain issues)..... outdoor walking no way.... I know I'm slower.

Any calorie burns are going to be estimates ......height, weight, age, gender, exertion level are "some" of the factors in play. As you get more & more fit.... calorie burns decrease.

A heart rate monitor "should" be more accurate.
  • isc256
    Options
    Thanks all for the help. I understand the OCD part ( I get that way), my overall goal is to try to hit 5.5 or 6 MPH walking. I only do this every other day. My normal pace is 4.5.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A zip is pretty accurate. I wore it when doing cardio and there was only 3 calories difference from MFP. I thought that was really good.
  • isc256
    Options
    I am now waiting for my Jawbone UP. That should help.

Thanks all.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    calories burns differ for each person due to body weight-the more you weigh the more you burn.
    get an HRM
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are going that fast? Are you sure its not 5.2 Km/hour
  • isc256
    Options
    I'm using a GPS pedometer that monitors distance and speed of my walks.
  • abelthephotographer
    Options

This^

Are you really tall? .... a person with a longer gait could get a faster MPH (my guess). I'm 5'5" and can go 4.3 if I really push it (this is on a treadmill ....ZERO terrain issues)..... outdoor walking no way.... I know I'm slower.

All of this^ - I'm only 5'5". I can sustain 4.3mph over a few miles, but anything over that I would need to break into a jog. I do quite often see much taller people walking at that pace without any difficulty, and curse my little legs ...