Why am I always hungry?

Options
So, after a few days of eating TDEE-20% and trying to stick to my macros, only trying to eat more protein and less carbs if I change them. However, I feel hungry.... ALL THE TIME! I feel like I need to be constantly putting food in my body. If I only have a little bit of food around, I force myself to eat it very slowly so I don't feel hungry right away.

The problem is, I thought protein was supposed to keep you satisfied longer, but since I've upped my protein, I actually feel hungrier and want to be constantly shoving food in my mouth. For example, yesterday for dinner I had a quarter of a spaghetti squash, 1/2 lb of ground turkey and some pasta sauce, and not even 30 minutes after finishing it, I was up and cooking a chicken breast because my stomach was still growling. Any tips? (My diary is open)

Replies

• eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    drink more water (room temperature) while you eat. try and eat more nutritionally/calorie dense foods. I noticed when I throw in spinach to a meal it helps me stay full longer without many calories.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What works for ME?
    My macros: 50% HIGH quality fats ; 25-30% protein; the rest low sugar carbs.
    I honestly have a hard time eating enough this way, and often have to add a snack.
    It is the FAT that keeps you full, not the protein, though if you are hungry after working out, a combo of both would work (nut butter on celery, boiled eggs).
    Your mileage may vary :smile:

BTW, I am not telling you to eat a stick of butter. I add flax and chia seeds to smoothies, use olive and coconut oils liberally when I cook, and don't limit myself to super lean meat. I eat beef and spinach for plenty of iron as well. No hunger, no fatigue, though the first week was a little brutal.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You are a girl. Depending on where you are at in your monthly cycle, you could be hungry due to hormonal fluctuations. Seriously a few days before TOM I just can't get enough food. I had a day where for dinner I sat down and ate Like 20+ounces of steak and felt like I hadn't eaten a thing immediately!

Fill up on low cal stuff like veggies and drink more water!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Having gone back a little, you're still not hitting your protein goals. I'd consider getting an HRM and food scale. Measure your food out by weight instead of "1 cup of X or Y" etc.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    You are a girl. Depending on where you are at in your monthly cycle, you could be hungry due to hormonal fluctuations. Seriously a few days before TOM I just can't get enough food. I had a day where for dinner I sat down and ate Like 20+ounces of steak and felt like I hadn't eaten a thing immediately!

Fill up on low cal stuff like veggies and drink more water!

I used to refer to this as bottomless pit syndrome. It was balanced by a compulsion to clean. Now I am menopausal, not hungry, and my house is a mess.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you have underestimated your TDEE. I had mine underestimated by 400 calories when I first started because I used the online calculators to estimate. Once I had faithfully logged for a couple of months, I did the math and figured out that my TDEE was 2500 instead of 2100ish. I had marked myself lightly active because I have a desk job and my workouts were only about 20-30 minutes 3x per week. But apparently I have more muscle mass or something because my progress indicated that I was cutting a lot more than I thought. Now that I am on 2000 calories a day, not only am I never hungry, but I also have room for treats.

This thread is the best I've seen on making sure your macros are accurate, as well as explaining how to calculate your true TDEE from your diary.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • eautrey124
    Options
    @trogalicious - I know I haven't been hitting my protein goals, but yesterday I did and today has been feeling the same way. My protein goals are .8 - 1 g of protein per lb of body weight (134-160 g). My fat goals are at least .4 g of fat per lb of body weight (65 g). I am a poor college student that is having to pay for a private school education by myself. I don't have a lot of money to spend especially when my grocery bill has gone up due to buying fresh, organic foods, but I wish I could. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have.

@wideeyedia - Thanks! I'll trying eating more fats. I already put flax seed in my smoothies, but maybe I'll cook up some eggs or something instead of just lean meats!

I typically drink over 100+ oz of water a day. Sometimes as high as 160 oz.

If you have any more ideas, please let me know.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    @trogalicious - I know I haven't been hitting my protein goals, but yesterday I did and today has been feeling the same way. My protein goals are .8 - 1 g of protein per lb of body weight (134-160 g). My fat goals are at least .4 g of fat per lb of body weight (65 g). I am a poor college student that is having to pay for a private school education by myself. I don't have a lot of money to spend especially when my grocery bill has gone up due to buying fresh, organic foods, but I wish I could. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have.

Right, and one day of hitting the goal isn't necessarily going to fix it though, right? Keep hitting that goal consistently. Also, I'd really, seriously consider spending the $25 for a decent scale. Amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373562022&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

for 25 bucks. If you aren't weighing your food, you aren't getting accurate readings, right? Just my opinion, but that's at least one expenditure that I would consider as a worthy purchase. Best of luck either way. Maybe check out a farmers market / aldi / publix for a week or two to save the difference needed for a scale.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I also support getting a scale and weighing your food in grams.

It seems your macros are roughly in line and your calorie goal is reasonable. So I would recommend upping your roughage (leafy veggies, broccoli, etc) to help fill the hunger gaps. Veggies, in general, are very nutritionally dense and low calorie. So pack the stuff in if you are hungry.

Also, do not be afraid to go over your protein or fat goals. They are both good stuff.
  • eautrey124
    Options

Right, and one day of hitting the goal isn't necessarily going to fix it though, right? Keep hitting that goal consistently. Also, I'd really, seriously consider spending the $25 for a decent scale. Amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373562022&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

for 25 bucks. If you aren't weighing your food, you aren't getting accurate readings, right? Just my opinion, but that's at least one expenditure that I would consider as a worthy purchase. Best of luck either way. Maybe check out a farmers market / aldi / publix for a week or two to save the difference needed for a scale.

Sorry if it seems like I assumed the protein was going to fix something. It seems that when I'm eating more protein, I feel less full and seem to be consistently hungry.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

@wideeyedia - Thanks! I'll trying eating more fats. I already put flax seed in my smoothies, but maybe I'll cook up some eggs or something instead of just lean meats!

I typically drink over 100+ oz of water a day. Sometimes as high as 160 oz.

Honestly, it would be worth it to go with non-organic for now if money is a concern. Nutritionally, organic and non-organic are the same.

Also, I am very jealous that you live by a Central Market. It is one of my favorite places on the planet.
  • eautrey124
    Options

Honestly, it would be worth it to go with non-organic for now if money is a concern. Nutritionally, organic and non-organic are the same.

Also, I am very jealous that you live by a Central Market. It is one of my favorite places on the planet.

I actually don't shop there, but since I am near one, my HEB carries their products. I also live near a Whole Foods, which is awesome, but pricey! Unfortunately, I don't know what I am going to do once I move back to school. The HEBs in my school's city are no where near as health conscious as the ones here!

Also, I don't always buy organic, but it's typically easier. Most of the organic foods are made with more natural ingredients then trying to read the backs of everything and getting very discouraged.

And I'll look into a food scale soon.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would say more water for sure and gum. I was told we mistake dehydration for hunger so when u feel hungry when u know u shouldnt be, try picking up some water followed by some gum. It has been helping me a lot
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I don't see too much fat on your salads. Good fats help you process the fat soluble vitamins like A in your salad. I find a salad is much satisfying with a little olive oil dressing or some avocado. Fat may be your answer.