Metabolic reset

Options
BGoodz22
BGoodz22 Posts: 55 Member
Is a reset for me?

Hey all,

Wondering If anyone could provide me with some incite as to my situation.

I lost about 55 lbs on MFP eating 1200-1500 for about 3-4 months. I lift heavy 3 times a week and do cardio 1-2 times a week.

I got stuck at 209 lbs and literally couldnt lose weight even when consuming 1200 calories total. Since then I have been trying to eat 1800 calories a day (even though scoobys says I should eat way more) and have been continuing to gain weight (up about 5 lbs so far

Wondering if a reset is in order for me and how long typically does one do a reset for?

Thank you for any help, its much appreciated as I am starting to go a bit crazy

According to scooby's calculator

MY TDEE is 2930
TDEE -20% is 2344
BMR = 2131

Replies

• aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Bump!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1800 calories a day? Has it been 1800 max, or have there been cheat days where you went all out?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert at all... but if something isn't working for you, it's should be changed. Is Scooby saying you should be eating at 2100 to lose weight, or is that your TDEE?

If I were in your position (and I have been), I would eat at maintenance, at least, for 1 month and then drop down to TDEE-10% and see how that goes. Weigh yourself here and there to ensure you are, in fact, maintaining as the numbers are only estimates and may vary for you. Once you do that for a month and tweak your calorie intake, you will have a fairly accurate idea of what your true TDEE is and can more easily decide where your deficit should be.

Good luck!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm wondering about a metabolic reset too.
  • BGoodz22
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1800 calories a day? Has it been 1800 max, or have there been cheat days where you went all out?

I have been eating 1800 calories a day for about 1.5 weeks so far
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    IMO you are so close to your goal that your deficit is to large. If you eat 1800 and burn 500 during your workouts you are only netting 1300. Reduce your deficit.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

You'll need to give it more time. Another 2 weeks I'd say. 5lbs is nothing (water/extra food etc). You do have a large deficit being so close to goal.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

You'll need to give it more time. Another 2 weeks I'd say. 5lbs is nothing (water/extra food etc). You do have a large deficit being so close to goal.

Agreed with Sweebum, when you increase cals your body is going to naturally ride at a slightly higher weight. The extra weight is not fat, so no need to be concerned. You'll then take that higher weight and track your progress down from there.
  • BGoodz22
    Options
    its just hard i guess to figure things out as there is so many different sources stating all kinds of things. I also read eating below your BMR is terrible.

my BMR is about 2131 according to scoobys calc. So do i really have to eat more than that?

Its all I can do to eat about 1800-1900 calories in a day.
  • BGoodz22
    Options
    bump!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat closer to your BMR. You're going to have to ramp up there for maintenance anyway. Even at your BMR, you're doing a 1000 calorie deficit, which is pretty huge with only 20 lbs to go.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you drinking a lot of water...you could have water retention that is not letting go ...

your 200 pounds and have a hard time eating 1800? I ate 2200 today and i am still hungry, and I am like 175....
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    If you’re lifting heavy 3 times a week plus cardio, I think you need to eat more. Try to get closer to your TDEE -20% = 2344. If you’re currently on 1800 calories, gradually increase up to this number. You may gain a little weight to start with, but you have no room left to move with your caloric deficit.