Parting gift for my boss?!

Options
LibbyCaramia
LibbyCaramia Posts: 69 Member
So I've been at my job for over four years and the time has come for me to move on, halle-f'in-lujah.
As one of the longest-serving members of staff I guess I'm obligated to get my boss some sort of farewell gift. Any ideas? I'll be getting her some flowers, a nice bottle of wine, heartfelt card etc. but I (grudgingly) feel like I should get her some sort of personal gift. Or something. Others in the past have gotten her massage or facial vouchers but I would hate to put some poor beauty therapist through that, so.. perhaps not anything in that vein.

So, MFPers, what do you get a middle-aged, tacky, general miser of a boss lady? Cause I'm struggling :-P

Edit: Oh yeah, it's just a stinky old café. So I'm not going to lash out on a Parker pen or anything.

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    oh god I have been in your shoes before!

something associated with the gym ;) accompanied by a bottle of wine :)
  • thisaintagame
    Options
    Starbucks coffee + small bag of pistachios + soft peppermints + a tervis tumbler (those are AWESOME) made into a gift basket. Simple generic useful and uncluttery
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Wait, you are leaving your job, and YOU have to give YOUR boss a gift?

Doesn't that sound extremely backwards to you? If you feel you HAVE to get him/her something, write something on a pretty card, saying you learned a lot from working under them. That's it. You are not obligated to give them a gift. If anything, they owe YOU a present for all your years of hard work.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of getting a gift for your boss when YOU leave. I've gotten a gift when I leave but not the other way around. If my boss left, I would get a gift for that too. I have always seen it for the person leaving. I've never heard of the person leaving giving something for the person staying. Interesting.
  • LibbyCaramia
    Options

Doesn't that sound extremely backwards to you? If you feel you HAVE to get him/her something, write something on a pretty card, saying you learned a lot from working under them. That's it. You are not obligated to give them a gift. If anything, they owe YOU a present for all your years of hard work.

Of course she'll get me something, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't leave some sort of gift in return. Being a small family-owned business and all. And especially since we've had a pretty close working relationship.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Uh, no, you don't give a parting gift when you are LEAVING a job.

You gave them labor, they gave you a paycheck. 'nuff said.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is common in Western society either.

Maybe in Asia.

Don't get them anything. They are supposed to get YOU a gift!!!

After seeing your other message I understand where you're coming from. Get them a big (but not expensive) box of chocolates maybe.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Uh, no, you don't give a parting gift when you are LEAVING a job.

You gave them labor, they gave you a paycheck. 'nuff said.

This. Get her a card. Call it good.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Of course she'll get me something, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't leave some sort of gift in return. Being a small family-owned business and all. And especially since we've had a pretty close working relationship.

What about a mug/calendar from moonpig or funky pigeon (where you live dependant I guess). That way you can get her pic or a group pic of all the girls who work there on it? Something personal, but doesn't cost mega bucks! Then you can say "oh yeah thought it would be nice for you to use in the cafe" :wink:
  • LibbyCaramia
    Options
    I'm a little amazed by the reactions..! Well. Everyone in my workplace has exchanged gifts in the past, and my friends and family have been asking what I was thinking of getting for my boss. So I guess it's normal here? In that case. I'm still after suggestions :-)
  • underarms
    underarms Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree that you definitely don't have to give a parting gift. I've never done that before and I've left plenty of jobs! Who is this lady that she gets showered with gifts every time an employee leaves? That seem unreal!

But if you feel like you have a close relationship then, sure, I guess that makes sense. But you already said you're giving a card and a bottle of wine, which is what would have been my suggestion. I really don't think you need to go overboard and give more. The bottle of wine will cost enough I would think. If you think it's not, just get a nicer bottle of wine.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

That was my thought as well. Seems really odd...
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Kind of hard to suggest anything seeing as we don't know your boss like you do.

Maybe something she can keep at the cafe to remember you by?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://www.moonpig.com.au/Gallery?sf1=OccasionGroup&sv1=Australia Day

Seriously, group pic - mug, flowers, wine, teddy bear etc all from one place & you can get it delivered to the cafe :bigsmile:

erm side note: I do NOT work for this company :laugh:
  • LibbyCaramia
    Options
    I don't HAVE to get her anything. I didn't even have to give notice that I was leaving since technically I've been employed casually the whole time. Of course, I still did.

But yeah. Maybe just the flowers and wine is enough. I do tend to go a little nuts with the present-giving. Thanks guys.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Why on earth are YOU giving a goodbye gift to your BOSS ?????

That's ridiculous ....... and btw, the job should be giving something to you :drinker:

Good luck !
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting it isn't a nice thing to do. I've just never heard of it being any kind of custom or protocol.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Steaming pile of crap in her desk drawer.....