Interesting article about ice cream

Options

Replies

• afanco
    afanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "Give them time: In one study, people who spent 30 minutes lingering over their ice cream [ended up with it all over their shorts.]"
  • sepibo
    sepibo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I needed a serious reminder. I have serious problems denying Ice Cream, so thank you!
  • BethanyRenee15
    Options
    "Treating yourself now and then can amp up your mood, but research shows that slurping ice cream four or five times a week can dull the pleasure, causing people to eat more to get the same sense of satisfaction." So it can be like a drug...
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wait. So your body thinks ice cream tastes good? And then reacts in a way to process the calories consumed? And is fattening if you eat it over your calorie limit?

chAZcxp.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Wait. So your body thinks ice cream tastes good? And then reacts in a way to process the calories consumed? And is fattening if you eat it over your calorie limit?

chAZcxp.gif

Did you even read the article? Ice Cream is a Cylon bent on your destruction. Nothing more or less.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I needed a serious reminder. I have serious problems denying Ice Cream, so thank you!

Some of the most successful people on this forum eat ice cream literally every day.

You don't need to give up ice cream.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Your brain would deliver the same response if you truly enjoyed brocolli. This is the brain's reaction to ANY pleasurable stimulus.

Not really seeing the point of this article.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Never met an ice cream I didn't like.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Your brain would deliver the same response if you truly enjoyed brocolli. This is the brain's reaction to ANY pleasurable stimulus.

If only my brain felt this way about broccoli...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Your article convinced me that tonight, my pancreas must squirt out insulin, It MUST! :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh. I eat ice cream every day and it tastes great. Excuse makers are always looking for reasons to claim that food is evil and out to getcha, and professionals desperate to publish "research" are all too willing to feed that fire.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The ladies that got excited over 50 Shades of Gray have got to read this article!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    After reading this i might go to the supermarket and fwap in the freezer isle...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If only my brain felt this way about broccoli...

I add broccoli to my ice cream! Jealous much?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    What amuses me about this one is they're listing it as if you over-indulge 'FOUR TO FIVE times a week'. I know some people have ice cream daily, but there are very few.

Ice cream is a sometimes food. I think we're all aware of what ice cream is made of and does for us.

tumblr_mb86cbiU9V1rn2gj6o1_500.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.today.com/health/your-brain-body-ice-cream-6C10588116

Before You Dig In

Your brain's pleasure and reward centers light up, prompting you to really crave that mint chocolate chip -- even if you're not very hungry.

Fueling the fire: Your hippocampus, a key memory player, starts reminding you just how good ice cream tastes and how happy you felt the last time you indulged.

After the First Bite

Fat and sugar coat your tongue, igniting your taste buds and alerting the brain, This stuff tastes great! Your noggin churns out dopamine and other feel-good chemicals.

Your pancreas, meanwhile, is squirting out insulin, which moves sugar out of the bloodstream and into your tissues. (That's fine in small doses, but eating sugar too often can lead to a wacky metabolism, weight gain, or diabetes.)

To avoid overeating, your stomach starts releasing appetitecontrolling hormones, like ghrelin and peptide YY. Give them time: In one study, people who spent 30 minutes lingering over their ice cream felt fuller than those who ate the same amount in five minutes.

After a Few Minutes

Sensing the cold, your brain tries to warm itself. Enter a sudden, sometimes painful rush of blood through your head's main artery -- a.k.a. brain freeze. (Holding your tongue to the roof of your mouth can help.)

After an Hour

Protein, fat, and carbs are filling your body's quick-energy stores -- but only if you worked out earlier. If you didn't, those stores might be full, so your fat cells absorb the 300-plus calories instead.

The Next Day, and the Next. . .

Treating yourself now and then can amp up your mood, but research shows that slurping ice cream four or five times a week can dull the pleasure, causing people to eat more to get the same sense of satisfaction.

Before you scoop, look at your serving ware. One study found that people subconsciously helped themselves to 31 percent more ice cream when using a larger dish, and ate 15 percent more when the serving spoon was larger.

Sources: Linda Bartoshuk, Ph.D., University of Florida; Kyle S. Burger, Ph.D., Oregon Research Institute; Philipp Scherer, Ph.D., The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

TL;DR

"all I heard was blah blah blah I'm a dirty tramp." Mr. Deeds.

the-25-sexiest-rolling-stone-covers-of-all-time-1-8689-1365613124-1_big.jpg
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Who lingers over ice cream for 30 minutes? lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Who lingers over ice cream for 30 minutes? lol

Ice cream soup, anyone?
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream. Just...don't drink a can of pop afterwards otherwise you will get the squirts!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    This thread is all sorts of win!

I plan my meals out everyday, and I still find a way to portion in some ice cream at the end of my day. It's like a mini happy ending. ;)

I heard mention of broccoli.... so where's the broccoli flavored ice cream? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: