Running newbie - couch-to-5k, Haaaaaard!!

Options

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but pushing through for 60 seconds is not discouraging. Nobody here thinks running is easy, you have to build up. And it does condition your heart. I ran intervals when walking, I pushed myself to run fast even if just 60 seconds. My resting heart rate was nearly 60 by the time I got into running and now it's 46. I have never injured myself and have never felt discouraged. Even now, I will run faster in short bursts, not on every run but most short runs.

Edited to add: if I was going on my first full run without the walking bit then yes, I would slow my pace to be able to do the run but not for short bursts of interval running.
    Well good, but a lot of us have injured ourselves. I for one became extremely discouraged due to a knee injury.

OP, it does get better as your body gets used to it. Remember, there is no shame in repeating weeks.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Berry's first rule of running:

When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Here's the rest of my beginner's running tips, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started":
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Stick with it and come back and let us know how you get on! :flowerforyou:
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    AH! you sound exactly like me! also 29... hang on.... did i write this??

Bumping the crap outta this post. Tips!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Slow down the run sections to the point that you aren't gasping. I mean slow down a lot, then slow down some more. If it's a shuffle, that's fine. Slow down.

THIS and don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to. SLOW!!!! It will get easier and when it does you will get a rush then POOF you're addicted and running 10 miles at a 10 minute mile pace! Hahaha just hang in there, you're doing great!
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get easier. Follow the program, it really does work. I thought I was dying in those first few weeks of running. I struggled with my breathing and sounded like a steam train most of the time. A lot of it is not so much running fast (I was slow as a turtle) but learning HOW to breathe! Focus on your breathing. Look up the military method...it is 3-2 method. Inhale through your nose for three steps and exhale through your mouth for two steps. if you need to make it a 4-3 or even a 5-4 technique. I had to really focus on my breathing and it really did help to count out my breaths. You will eventually learn to LOVE it. I started in January and by the end of April had fallen in love with running.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I totally agree with taking it slow. I had started and stopped the C25K program about 10 times always quitting in week 3. Weeks one and two were easy for me so I would go too fast then I would try to keep that speed for week three and fail.

This time I did a lot of research before I started and am going much slower and have been much more successful. I am now in the middle of week 5 and feel like I can keep going. The idea of going slow enough that you can hold a conversation has helped a lot. Once I am through the program then running 5K's for a few more months and have my body used to this whole running thing, THEN I will start working on speed.

I would like to add that as far as repeating weeks/days there is no shame at all. However, the philosophy that I have tried to have is I will repeat if that day was still really hard for me, but I'm trying to not repeat just because I am scared to do the next level. Otherwise I would be on week two for forever! I keep telling myself that my body can do more than my mind thinks it can, and so far that has proved to be true. Good luck!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I concede, I do agree that what works for some doesn't work for all. Maybe I see it differently because I didn't use this program. I just ran at intervals to build myself up. None of its easy.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I concede, I do agree that what works for some doesn't work for all. Maybe I see it differently because I didn't use this program. I just ran at intervals to build myself up. None of its easy.

There is nothing wrong with what you did and it certainly worked for you and allowed you to attain your goals. You will gain fitness by running hard repeats (the intervals are actually the rest/recover periods between the repeats), just not the same type and quality of aerobic fitness that is required to run at your best for any race longer than 400 meters. I'm certain that your tremendous weight loss contributed to your perception of your fitness as well.

Kudos to you and best wishes.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that as far as repeating weeks/days there is no shame at all. However, the philosophy that I have tried to have is I will repeat if that day was still really hard for me, but I'm trying to not repeat just because I am scared to do the next level. Otherwise I would be on week two for forever! I keep telling myself that my body can do more than my mind thinks it can, and so far that has proved to be true. Good luck!
    Right. The way I planned if something needed repeated was if I felt like I was going to die, it probably needed to be redone. I wanted to be "comfortable" with it (to a point - it wouldn't be easy, but I was able to do it) before moving on. Basically, if you're thinking of repeating, ignore the next day and think about the one you're on when making the decision.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Slow down the run sections to the point that you aren't gasping. I mean slow down a lot, then slow down some more. If it's a shuffle, that's fine. Slow down.

This. When I started "running" I could walk faster, but it wasn't about speed, it was about building up endurance. Even sometimes now during the end of my long runs, I'm fairly confident I could walk faster, but you build distance first, then speed :)
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I do have a question of my own tho..I've been jogging at a Reeeeally slow pace (15min mile) and I still have a hard time breathing, I wouldn't be able to keep up a conversation if I tried. I feel if I go any slower I'd just be power walking. I'm sure it has to do with my horrible past of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day (i switched to e-cigs a little over a year ago, but I'm not sure if that's any better when it comes to running), and the fact that I have asthma. But my question is two-fold, how can I increase my stamina, and if there are any joggers out there with asthma, how do you maintain a good breathing pattern to prevent an attack? I've tried 2-2, 3-2, 3-3..nothing seems to help. -__-

This is me too! Quit smoking a year ago, and only learned I had asthma about 18 months ago and terrible year-round allergies. I use an albuterol inhaler my doctor prescribed just before I go and carry it with me in case I have any issues. It has gotten a lot better in the past year but if I don't keep up with allergy meds and use my inhaler before I go, I couldn't do it.

I think that's why it's taking me awhile longer to progress, seems to be a lot of work to get my lungs back to healthy but my breathing is getting easier over the past year, it just seems to take a long time to heal from all those years of smoking and being out of shape.

Congrats on your new healthier lifestyle!!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too and find it HHHHHHAAAAARRRDDD! maybe I'm not a runner either. I have been stuck on week 1 for weeks.... will try the slow down approach and see if I can progress past week 1..... add me if you like and we can gasp through together.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know C25K has worked for countless people, but it never worked for me. I attempted several different times, but it was too much counting and keeping track and I couldn’t focus on jogging/running. I do enough counting and thinking it my day job, and wasn’t enjoying the training plan. So, I just started jogging. First it was a mile, then I built up to a mile and half. Then, it started getting hard, so I started slowing down and just running for time (endurance). Say 20 minutes, then more and more. I started reading about strides, how my foot strikes, and anything else I could get my hands on. I LOVE running magazines. This was over 3 years ago. My first 5K goal was just to keep chugging along in a 5K no matter how slow, but I was not going to STOP and walk no matter what. Well I did it and many 5Ks and placing in my division several times later, I still run as part of my fitness plan. But the key for me was changing my mindset and running for enjoyment too. Even though my runs have gotten more and more challenging, I love to put on my music and hit the trails, and the endurance that has followed for all my other workouts. Plus, the sexy sculpted legs running provides is another great bonus. Bottom line: Don’t give up unless you just physically can’t do it. The benefits are amazing.
  • _useyourwords_
    Options
    I started walking up hills and found that made running on flat ground SOOOO much easier! Try it. Good luck, I hope it gets easier for you!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I started walking up hills and found that made running on flat ground SOOOO much easier! Try it. Good luck, I hope it gets easier for you!
    Hills are my enemy! :laugh: Thank goodness I live in Illinois where it's flat.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Yarrowdays
    Yarrowdays Posts: 19
    Options
    It is so hard. There is no denying that trying to run after sitting for so long is...probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. But it does get easier, to a degree. The problem is, once you get to a point where something that used to be difficult becomes easy, you push yourself harder and it's not so easy anymore XD
    I used to baaarely be able to walk to the end of the road and back without feeling like I was about to die. That was about a year or so ago, and now I can run for up to ten minutes at a time without stopping. It DOES get easier, it just doesn't feel like it, because you keep pushing yourself harder.

I agree with the person that says not to run like you're being chased. That's what I did when I first started, and all I got was a shin splint. Take it easy. Run the intervals, but take it slowly, to where your heart rate is still up and you're struggling, but you're not wheezing like you're having an asthma attack (not like I do that...cough), otherwise you'll likely injure yourself...plus that's just not fun at all.

The humidity DEFINITELY makes a difference in how hard it is. When I run in it, my muscles are stiff, and it's ten times harder to breathe. When it's a bit cooler, I can go much faster and my muscles aren't as stiff. Try and sneak out there as early as you can so it's cooler out, and I bet that will help.

Just keep at it. I have second thoughts every time I go out for a run, eying my workout gear and wondering if I'm mentally unstable, but the high you get after you're finished is totally worth it :)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Omg haha...I live in pretty much the flattest area of Michigan...and the only other place I'd ever really run was on the beach in Florida...so supppper flat. My first 10K I signed up for without realizing there was a freaking ELEVATION MAP! I flipped haha...It was hill city! I think I cried a little...then learned to kind of like hills....even if I didn't really run most of them lol!
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I also HIGHLY recommend downloading the app. I no longer have to count and think. I'm just let the app tell me what to do. I listed to my music (I love that it drowns out my breathing) and then the C25K voice just comes on over my music saying "ok walk" "and let's run, half way there you can do it". I find I run better when I'm not constantly looking at the clock and knowing how much time I have left. It's an awesome feeling when it says "ok walk" earlier than when you were anticipating.

And crista_b I totally agree about the hills! It's not flat here in Colorado, but the running path I use is!
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options

QFT. I love that about the greater Chicago area, can run in any direction and you are good.

C25K is a great program, finished it last week, got my first 5K next Sat (Hoffman Estates 5K - 10K - HM anyone?).