Crunchy Tuna Salad

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
I was getting sick of the same old tuna salad all the time so I was browsing for new recipes... came across one that I LOVE and it's really simple:

Crunchy Tuna Salad-
2 5oz. cans tuna (4 oz. after draining)
1 cup cole slaw cabbage mix (the type with carrots & purple cabbage)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon light mayo
2 tablespoons non-fat plain greek yogurt
black pepper
salt

Drain tuna and place in bowl. Toss in cole slaw mix, onions, mayo and yogurt - mix. Top with pepper and salt to taste. I like to mix in some chopped jalapenos for a little heat as well.

I eat on lettuce leaves with sliced tomato & topped with Frank's. My new favorite tuna salad recipe :love:

Replies

• cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, I will have to try it!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I do citrus pecan tuna salad with sour cream instead of mayo because I'm not a fan. I'm going to add in the slaw mix for some extra crunch. Love that idea!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I was getting sick of the same old tuna salad all the time so I was browsing for new recipes... came across one that I LOVE and it's really simple:

Crunchy Tuna Salad-
    2 5oz. cans tuna (4 oz. after draining)
    1 cup cole slaw cabbage mix (the type with carrots & purple cabbage)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon light mayo
    2 tablespoons non-fat plain greek yogurt
    black pepper
    salt

Drain tuna and place in bowl. Toss in cole slaw mix, onions, mayo and yogurt - mix. Top with pepper and salt to taste. I like to mix in some chopped jalapenos for a little heat as well.

I eat on lettuce leaves with sliced tomato & topped with Frank's. My new favorite tuna salad recipe :love:

Now I know what I'm gonna do with the bag of cole slaw I have! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Love this I was wondering what I was going to do with my left over cabbage and romaine :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That sounds sooo good! Thank you.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yum!
    Bump
  • emAZn
    Options
    Any reccomendations if i don't have greek yogurt on hand... is it used to make it sweeter? Maybe a tablespoon of 1000 island?
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Any reccomendations if i don't have greek yogurt on hand... is it used to make it sweeter? Maybe a tablespoon of 1000 island?

It's to offset the mayo calorie/fat wise. It's not to make it sweeter, it just adds to the creaminess without using a lot of mayo. You could try it with thousand island, it'd make for a different tasting tuna salad.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Thanks! I have some fat free sour cream so I think that will work!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Thanks! I have some fat free sour cream so I think that will work!

Yeah, that'd probably work also.

I forgot to add above that I added a little dill pickle relish also. I have a tuna patty recipe that uses the relish in the tartar sauce, it kind of makes it taste like the tuna patties, but in a salad version.
  • nh_outdoorguy
    Options
    nice recipe. I like your idea of adding cole slaw cabbage and yogurt. thx for posting.
  • womom
    womom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is it topped with? It says Franks...surely you don't mean hot dogs...so what am i missing here....LOL
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thanks - i love the crunchy!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    What is it topped with? It says Franks...surely you don't mean hot dogs...so what am i missing here....LOL

Lol... Frank's hot sauce
  • kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I made this last night using broccoli slaw instead of coleslaw (because it was on hand). VERY tasty, Stuffed it into a whole wheat pita and it made a great warm weather meal! Thanks!
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!!!