Running/Jogging and the side stitch

Options
Hello, I have been part of the MFP for a little while now. My weight loss is going so SLOW! I am 37y female, I workout 6 days a week at the gym. Most days I do about 20-25 min Cardio (usually elliptical/ arc trainer) and weights ( alternating legs and arms). Two of the 6 days are just cardio 45-55 min. So about a week ago I started jogging/ running (5.0-6.0 speed) and walking (3.5 speed) on the treadmill. After about 5 min I get a stitch in my side (always the same side). So how do I stop the pain? I want to keep jogging but it hurts. Is this from how I am running? Or how I am breathing? Should I do something else to stave off the stitch? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It could be caused by either dehydration or your breathing technique while running. I used to have this problem, as well. I found that if I switched to breathing in and out of my mouth rather than my nose, I took in more oxygen and eliminated the cramping/side stitch. Such a simple thing that made a big difference!
  • Corystormy
    Corystormy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try mouth breathing tomorrow. I drink a lot of water. But, I could be just replacing what I sweat. I will try to add more water the next few days also.
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I will get a side stitch if I drink too much water or jog too fast. Also, be sure you don't eat anything for at least 2 hours before you run. Good luck!!
  • EKJM3
    EKJM3 Posts: 11
    Options
    If you were wondering about the science behind it, stitches are caused by a build up of lactic acid in the muscles when they aren't getting enough oxygen during exercise. The only way to remove this (conversion) is with oxygen. Typically breathing nasally means the body receives more oxygen than it would through your mouth. But intense exercise can be different - follow what feels natural for your breathing.

I don't know if you are doing this, but some people try to take in a deep breath and hold it to increase their oxygen intake, but that actually results in your body receiving less oxygen.
  • Corystormy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know it isn't the drinking too much water because I exercise at 5:30 am. I just don't know if it is my breathing or my technique/ style of running ( I think that is the best way to describe it).
  • amorales5931
    Options
    Besides eating and breathing ... Also check your form. You should imagine an imaginary line directly in front of you, down the center of your chest. Your arms should NEVER cross that line. Keep your right arm swing back and forth on the right side of your body - your left arm swinging back and forth on your left. Use the arms like pendulums to help propel you forward. If they cross that center line in front if you, you're twisting ... And can get stitches in your side or pain in the hips.
  • Corystormy
    Options
    Thanks again. Today I ate 1/2 cup of blueberries before I exercised, I slowed my speed, and I concentrated on my breathing. Although I didn't run the whole time I felt that these changes were helping. I still had the stitch but as soon as it started I changed my breathing and pace and it seemed to dissipate quicker. I guess I just need to increase my time slower, and be more conscious of my form. I think I do twist a bit when I start to get to a certain time.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I technique I was taught that seems to work is when you get a side stitch, start breathing out of your mouth forcibly as your foot hits the ground on that side. I get into a rhythm where I'm breathing in through my mouth and then breathing out quickly every other time my foot on that side hits the ground. I basically get into a deep breathing rhythm is that makes sense. It is likely that all that is doing is causing you to breath more deeply and quickly so the increased oxygen helps alleviate the stitch, but the mental trick works well for me. The stitch typically goes away in a couple of minutes.
  • Corystormy
    Options
    Thanks. I will try that.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I sing or count outloud (but quietly)...seems to keep breathing from being an issue for me...
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Shallow breathing can be one cause of side stitches. Make sure you are breathing deeply using your diaphragm - ie put your hand on your belly and when you breathe in, your hand should move outward. :)