Is it possible I will never have a flat stomach

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am apple shaped. One of the things I hate the most about my body is my tubby stomach and love handles. Generally when I try to lose weight I lose weight from everywhere; arms, legs, neck but In comparison I lose such little weight from my stomach it looks three times as large. Then I get frustrated. I read somewhere that apple body types will not ever be able to achieve a flat tight tummy but should settle for making it not as fat I guess. Is this true? I will have to adjust my goals accordingly (after being very disappointed for a while, I guess)

most people have this issue with various bodyparts from elite bodybuilders to regular people trying to lose weight. It IS possible...you can have a perfectly flat stomach...heck you could have a 6 pack if you want!

But...it will take time...and you will have to get quite lean.

I'm working with a female now who has the issue with her legs. Her upper body lost a tone and is very fit looking, muscular, and looks in great shape. But it seems the fat from her butt and legs are just the last to leave. She is going to have to get leaner than most people to have the look she wants. She will be able to do it in a safe bodyfat level but it will be on the lower end like maybe in the 15% to 18% range

^^yep

I have the same issue with my butt/thighs as that is where I store my stubborn fat. Women tend to store it there or around their stomachs. How 'stubborn' it is, is very individual.

According to your ticker you have 135,130 lbs to lose :tongue: I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that there was an error in the set up, so I am not sure how much you have to lose. Just eat at a reasonable caloric deficit, get your macros sorted out, and do some resistance training, get enough rest and be patient.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am 158 / 155 now (my scale cannot make up its mind) and for now I am thinking I wouldn't mind getting down to 130 then adjusting as necessary. So that's been 28 and 25 pounds.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most "average" people can get a lot lighter than they think.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    you just need to keep lowering your bodyfat until its to a level where you have a flat stomach... you can do it, its just really hard work, especially if genetics are against you!

Yes, I agree, you can do it. It is about body fat. Do you track that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am 158 / 155 now (my scale cannot make up its mind) and for now I am thinking I wouldn't mind getting down to 130 then adjusting as necessary. So that's been 28 and 25 pounds.

Just keep on keeping on with the diet and exercise You will be able to tell how stubborn your belly fat is when you get nearer goal.
  • rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options
    Everybody can get a flat stomach, anyone who says otherwise just lacks knowledge how. It depends on your situation what the reason is you have a hard time getting rid of your stomach fat. It is about hormones, so keep that in mind when you read articles about losing fat because male and female body's are different. For you I would recommend proteine in the morning, go to bed at around 22h every night and keep 4 hours between meals, take 3 meals a day. The more meals a day theory has no research whatsoever to back up any advantages. Also omega-3 fats and coconut extra virgine oil is good for losing stomach fat. Instead of jogging or stuff like that do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Since you're a woman make sure you have a proper sports bra when doing HIIT. These are the big lines that should help you, if you got questions let me know. Hope it helps.

Eating more meals a day won't improve things (NIH study below), neither will getting protein at a specific interval or going to bed at a specific time. For all you know the OP gets up at 9am or later. The fact is, she does need a good night sleep but not a specific bedtime. The fact is, the OP can get a flat stomach by continuing to lose weight. But if she gets to a low body fat, and still no abs or definition, it means she doesn't have enough lean body mass and it would require a bulk. Most women don't realize that (and some men too). Many associate weight loss with tighter bodies. But if you lose too much muscle, it makes it very difficult to get that look. This is very common with those who are at the bottom of a weight range.

OP, here is the keys: time and weight training (to preserve muscle)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

I wasn't talking about a interval for proteine. For women having proteine on the morning IS beneficial. This has to do with hormones. Same thing as fasting works better for men than women. Different hormones. So proteine in the morning will help and the times you sleep also matter. Most important is the amount of hours, but times actually do affect actual rest (mainly mental rest, which is good to relieve stress).

Adding to my first post: diet is most important in losing body fat. Eat healthy, not more than 2 pieces of fruit. No candy cake or cookies, ice cream, junkfood etc. Just get used to eating fruit and nuts as candy. If you really cant resist keep it to a minimum. Nutrition dense foods and whole foods are always supposed to be in your diet.

As far as exercises go for flat stomach. Lot of leg exercises. Weight training and getting bigger legs will definitely help losing body fat. And do planks and variations for tight abs.

You do not need to give up any candy, ice cream or "junk food". Below is a perfect example of a women who literally eats ice cream every day. Fat loss is all about calorie reduction. Muscle retention is about resistance training and protein intake. You can fit candy, ice cream and other junk in your diary and still get the results you want. Protein in the morning is a satiety thing. I have seen plenty of women that are successful using IF and get the results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Sarauk2sf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

You don't have to give it up to get a flat stomach, but you do to get optimal health. It is indeed about calories. Protein for muscle gain is overrated and needs way less focus than it is given now.

Protein in the context I meant is not a satiety thing, it has way other purposes, it helps making certain hormones (English is not my first language I don't know how to say it better than "making", sorry for that). That's why it is only beneficial to women to specifically eat protein in the morning (preferably before 10.00). And IF could definitely benefit women, all I mean is the effects are different and it would be better to take a different route. Keep in mind I don't just focus on getting a certain body shape, but also the health that has more to do with how the body looks from the inside.

I can see you relaying on research and experience, and you are conscience of the things you say, but I also feel like you relay a little too much on anecdotes and don't concentrate on the complete picture of food and exercise. I don't mean this in a down talking way please dont get me wrong.

Interesting read perhaps, I couldn't find my other sources but this is pretty informative:
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

At the end of the day food and exercise affect your hormones and thats whats its all about, for male and female. And I don't just stop at what works, I always look for things that work even better, for results as far as looks go, but also health or complete body and mind. I think it would be interesting to exchange some knowledge in a less superficial way some time. We could probably learn alot from each other.

You say that psulemon wants to rely on anecdote, yet no-where have you shown anything to support your comment about protein.

Also, the jury is out on the effects of IF for women. There is a potential hormonal impact and some women do not do too well on IF, but this is very individual, as is actually pointed out in the article you linked.

Your commentary is completely out of context - you say you need to eat protein before 10am. What if someone gets up at noon?

By far the most important thing re meal/macro timing is how well it helps someone adhere to their diet and to allow them to train with the best intensity.

Regarding your comment re protein being over-rated for muscle gain - you give no context. Protein is very important.

And you can eat some 'junk' food and be healthy and get a flat stomach. Overall diet needs to be looked at.

These posts get too long I'm not gonna go on too long. True I didn't give a full list of references, I don't feel that necessary, if you want to know why I think the way I think you can ask me about it instead of pointing out I don't provide sources. You give no sources also about the "jury" who judges about the effects of IF. Nor about being healthy while still eating ice cream everyday. So if you wanna point it out by me, why do the same. Just cause a person feels healthy does not mean they are. The protein issue is not a small issue, it is an important nutritien, just not in the amount today's sporters eat them. About context, I'm not trying to blog here or put complete articles to explain stuff or put my posts full with links. As I said to you and the other guy, I'm always open for questions and I regret that you and the other guy take such a somewhat hostile approach instead of openly and nicely talking.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating Wheat/Gluten from your diet. My stomach area has decreased 2 inches in 2 months by diet along. The stomach is the first thing to go when you eliminate those foods.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For me, my belly is the last place I lose. But when I get to a certain weight. Bam! It is flat! Stay with it. You can do it. I am 5'1" and around 144 and my belly is still there. Not just a little pooch. I have a belly. When I weigh about 135, it is pretty flat. I am sure when I get to 125 it will be just where I want to be. You CAN do this! :flowerforyou:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine worked as a runway model in her youth, and even at her leanest, she had a tiny pot belly. She said she even considered lypo to get rid of it at the time. So yeah, it's possible. You can change the appearance of your torso a bit by lowering the body fat percentage, which you can do by either dieting down or increasing the amount of muscle that's underneath the fat. The latter, you do by lifting weights.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    you just need to keep lowering your bodyfat until its to a level where you have a flat stomach... you can do it, its just really hard work, especially if genetics are against you!

This. Our stomach is usually the last place to go. For men, its love handles and stomach. I've noticed a lot of change in my arms, back, and legs and very little around my stomach but it takes a while to get rid of the stomach fat.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is completely up to you. Almost anyone can have a flat stomach with dedication and hard work. Unless you have some kind of medical condition preventing you.
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to just wake up in the morning and have a flat stomach?????? :P
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Off topic but you look very much like the cop/investigator from the shield tv show
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

These posts get too long I'm not gonna go on too long. True I didn't give a full list of references, I don't feel that necessary, if you want to know why I think the way I think you can ask me about it instead of pointing out I don't provide sources. You give no sources also about the "jury" who judges about the effects of IF. Nor about being healthy while still eating ice cream everyday. So if you wanna point it out by me, why do the same. Just cause a person feels healthy does not mean they are. The protein issue is not a small issue, it is an important nutritien, just not in the amount today's sporters eat them. About context, I'm not trying to blog here or put complete articles to explain stuff or put my posts full with links. As I said to you and the other guy, I'm always open for questions and I regret that you and the other guy take such a somewhat hostile approach instead of openly and nicely talking.

True me, nothing I am say is meant to be hostile. But you are suggesting stuff that isn't true. I am simply suggesting that you do not need to eat 100% clean to maximize health and fat loss. Please feel free to look at my diary, I come very close if not perfect to hitting macro's and micro nutrients. I have continuously lost weight (and my abs are starting to show) and all of my cholesterol numbers are dropping. All of that has been achieved with eating clean and non clean foods. The simple answer for the OP is this: you just have to keep losing body fat. People can suggest sugar or etc will prevent them from losing fat, but show me a study that will suggest that. And I am talking from a reputable health institute, not from a website selling a diet.
  • rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options

True me, nothing I am say is meant to be hostile. But you are suggesting stuff that isn't true. I am simply suggesting that you do not need to eat 100% clean to maximize health and fat loss. Please feel free to look at my diary, I come very close if not perfect to hitting macro's and micro nutrients. I have continuously lost weight (and my abs are starting to show) and all of my cholesterol numbers are dropping. All of that has been achieved with eating clean and non clean foods. The simple answer for the OP is this: you just have to keep losing body fat. People can suggest sugar or etc will prevent them from losing fat, but show me a study that will suggest that. And I am talking from a reputable health institute, not from a website selling a diet.

We probably would agree on more than 80% of our views as far as diet and exercise go. The thing is I used to think similar to you and I even had good results with that. I just found out a lot of new stuff, that is simply... for lack of better word choice.. better and effective and most importantly healthy. You did not ask me on what I based my claims, you simply dismiss them. That is what I don't agree with. I encourage everyone to not just believe anything and do own research, but I do not agree with simply dismissing my posts without trying to understand why I say those things.

With my knowledge I achieved things that are not "possible" according to the average bodybuilding blog/knowledge/accepted theories. I gained 5kg muscle in six months (thats pretty much the most you can, I do gotta admit it's mostly muscle memory) and in that time I achieved less than 10% bf coming from around 15. My abs always showed easily and especially my vains, so that lean look was not that hard I'll grant you that, but still. 65gr average daily protein. Less than 3000 calories. Now labels about nutrients are always rough estimates. But I did not count 100gr wrong (For my weight I shoudlve eaten more than 150gr based on other theories). So I applied my research and proven with my own body it was true.
  • SniffTheSweat
    Options
    Obviously not, stop deluding yourself. Looks like you're trying to excuse failure with psuedo science.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Stomach work starts in the kitchen and its the last thing to show when trimming body fat... Don't give up, if its something you want work at it and it will come!

^^^^^ I totally agree with this!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to just wake up in the morning and have a flat stomach?????? :P

only if you do a master cleanse seven days prior and do not eat after 8pm.
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that the belly is one of the last things to go in weightloss. Seems true for most people.

I agree...continue lowering your body fat & your belly will decrease. This means eating healthy & regular exercise. And time. Apparently, lots of time.

Good luck!

That's definitely true for me. It will only decrease a little along the way. Is there any truth to losing weight in areas in the reverse order that you've gained?
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Most people lose from the feet up and head down normal has nothing to do with body type.