How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options
The question is basically the subject.

I hate plain oatmeal but I'm trying to shake up my eating habits. What can I add to oatmeal to make it tolerable and healthy?

I've noticed a lot of people add cinnamon and milk.. exactly how much cinnamon do you put in to make it taste right?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Replies

• SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am OBSESSED with oatmeal.
    I always cook it on the stove & add in a banana to the mix.
    Peanut butter/Pb2 is also a delicious topping.
    Or dried fruit & nuts. Maybe even fresh fruit like blueberries & almond milk?
    Yum :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I add:

1 raw egg (i mix this in some milk and then add it to the oats)
    fresh fruit (half a banana and a handful of blueberries)
    flax seeds or nuts if I feel like a crunch
    peanut butter if I am eating before I lift
    and a pinch of cinamon
  • sr_maggie
    sr_maggie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is the site that got me to become more creative with my oatmeal combinations. I have oatmeal every morning, and it never gets old because I can make it so many ways. Enjoy!!

http://livewell360.com/2008/11/30-day-oatmeal-challenge/

ETA: I don't usually put the flax, wheat germ, etc, in because that would usually exceed my calorie goal balance since I don't have a ton to work with. I also keep to using real sugar, honey or agave instead of Splenda, etc. Regardless, it should help get the creative juices flowing and you can adapt the recipes to suit your tastes.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning during the week and its the same everyday. 1/2 cupQuick oats, cooked with raisins and then I add 2 tblsp ground flax seeds. Once in bowl I add 1/8 cup sugar free Maple Syrup and 1/2 cup milk.

Adding cinnamon is a personal preference thing, add a little and keep adding a little more till it taste good. You can add just about any type of fruit to it as well as yogurt. Alot of times it is trial and error to find the right combo.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Usually I add fresh fruit, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, yogurt if I want something quick. If I have time I like to make savory oatmeal protein breakfasts. (Sounds gross but they are so good)

Ancient Roman Oats - I saute spinach, red onion, and garlic with chicken or lamb and a little EVOO and toss the oatmeal with it with some sea salt

Gladiator Oatmeal (Got it from Daphne Oz from the Chew): 1/4 cup cooked steel cut oats1/4 cup chopped shallots1 sprig rosemary chopped3 dates chopped3 slices tofu Canadian bacon chopped (or regular bacon)3 teaspoons olive oilsalt and pepper to tastecayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)

Sometimes I like adding some miso, chicken, sesame seeds, scallions, honey, ginger, and nori to my oatmeal in the morning.
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm going to preface this with, this is not a joke. I have eaten this combination Countless times. My philosophy is if I can eat a Quatlity carb and protein sources and it will help me meet macro nutrient needs and not pile on the fat, I will explore eating it. Currently I've been eating eggs and 2 cups of blueberries in the blender for my carb source for breakfast. But for oatmeal.

oatmeal/chicken
    oatmeal/tuna
    oatmeal/ground turkey
    oatmeal/steak <--- KILLER workout on this for some reason
    oatmeal/pork

And one my friend coined Noah's Revenge (all the animals in it):

oatmeal/chicken/pork/turkey/steak

And yes I actually enjoyed the taste. Only the oatmeal/tuna took some getting used to. I like my oatmeal Very dry so any tuna juice was non existent. Otherwise, I'd feel great after eating all the others.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I'm going to preface this with, this is not a joke. I have eaten this combination Countless times. My philosophy is if I can eat a Quatlity carb and protein sources and it will help me meet macro nutrient needs and not pile on the fat, I will explore eating it. Currently I've been eating eggs and 2 cups of blueberries in the blender for my carb source for breakfast. But for oatmeal.

oatmeal/chicken
    oatmeal/tuna
    oatmeal/ground turkey
    oatmeal/steak <--- KILLER workout on this for some reason
    oatmeal/pork

And one my friend coined Noah's Revenge (all the animals in it):

oatmeal/chicken/pork/turkey/steak

And yes I actually enjoyed the taste. Only the oatmeal/tuna took some getting used to. I like my oatmeal Very dry so any tuna juice was non existent. Otherwise, I'd feel great after eating all the others.

How do you cook / season the meat when you do the oatmeal
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat mine baked with peanut butter and brown sugar. Sometimes I throw in hemp hearts as well.
  • lynnmc40
    lynnmc40 Posts: 8
    Options
    I HATED oatmeal till I discovered steel cut oats. Red's is my favorite. They are nutty and delicious. Don't buy the quick oats or the artificially flavored crap. With the steel oats, I put a smidge of brown sugar, cinnamon, the teeniest drizzle of light cream (not even a spoonful), and some almond slices. Sooooo good!!!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    when I liked oatmeal i used to put cinnamon(at my liking) and some sugar free maple syrup and maybe some almond milk...I cant stand oatmeal now:sick:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    With a spoon.

But I make sure to add blueberries first.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have always put in so much brown sugar that it can no longer be considered a healthy food....

I have been weaning myself off the excessive brown suger. I either mix in berries or raisins. Yummy! And I cook it in milk, not water. It makes it creamier.
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    I am a firm believer in prepping food in advance for the week. This gives me ZERO excuse not to eat right. It also makes it very easy after the gym to eat. So with all the meat cooked ahead of time (Sunday's are typically cooking day)

For steak: sea salt, pepper
    For chicken: Lightly sprinkle italian seasoning on it, maybe salt. Doesn't really need it.
    For pork: usually nothing
    For tuna: just drain the water as much as possible
  • Ogress_2_Prncess
    Options
    I like mine with sliced almonds & raisins or craisins (dried cranberries)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Mixed in as part of Muesli. Try it. You'll never go back.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats every night that I work to eat in the morning after my workout.

I always add:

mashed banana
    flax seeds
    hemp seeds
    chia seeds
    almond milk
    honey
    vanlla extract

Some additional combinations include

shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips and sliced almonds = just like an Almond Joy
    shredded coconut, pineapple, cinnamon = Hawaiian oats, lol.
    pumpkin puree and raisins, sometimes with walnuts
    peanut butter and chocolate chips

It should be noted that my oats are almost always close to 600 calories. Worth every single bite though.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of oats
    1 raw egg
    1/2 a banana, sliced
    water

Cook, mash and stir in banana, enjoy.

I'm obsessed with this combo. It keeps me full all morning, and I rarely need a snack before lunch.
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    Options
    In a bowl lol
    I by the quaker high protein Maple and Brown Sugar, am thinking about making it myself though
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite way!

1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-grain cereal
    some water
    1 tsp cinnamon

Microwave 2 minutes.

Add a little milk (2%, but almond is good too)
    Let sit for 2 minutes, stir
    Add 1 tsp honey and fresh fruit (strawberries and peaches are my favorites)
  • NavyWife8396
    NavyWife8396 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I mix it up with various fruits. Love peaches in mine (with some cinnamon) and when I can't buy fresh, I use frozen. Do the same with strawberries and blueberries. My other favorite is to cut an apple into small chunks, put it in a microwave safe bowl that has a lid, add some cinnamon, a touch of brown sugar, a splash or water and a 1/4 tsp or so of cornstarch. Put the lid on, shake it up, vent the lid and microwave for 2 minutes on high. When it's done, add it to the cooked oatmeal. Delicious! It's like apple pie oatmeal!