Dealing with depression

Options
it's really hard to lose weight and feel like exercising when you're suffering from depression, in my case.. Bipolar Depression. Some days II'm all for it and I feel great but others (like this past week or so) I just honeslty hate myself. I don't even want to look in the mirror because I get so upset and instead of exercising or being active I just mope around. Anyone else in a similiar state of mind or struggling? I do take Prozac which helps most days but somedays even that doesn't.

Replies

• Mellzicious
    Options
    I've had anxiety and depression all my life, so I know what it's like to get in that slump.

Honestly, the only thing that has ever worked for me is simply forcing myself to do it. No matter how tired you are or how bad you feel, try forcing yourself to exercise for a few days. For me, I actually start feeling physically and mentally better and it's easier to keep going.

I'm sure that doesn't sound like much help... it's tough!
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression last year, and better diet and exercise actually brought me out of it! I had to remind myself that NO MEDICATION ON THE MARKET is better at treating depression than exercise. Even 30 minutes a day can improve symptoms (and maybe even clear your head) better than any pill. Now, I exercise 30-60 minutes per day, even when I don't want to do it. I always come out of it feeling better than when I went in to it, which I can't say about too many activities.
  • savingkadee
    Options
    Yes, I definitely go through this too. I struggle with multiple mental and physical illnesses including depression and an eating disorder. Some days you feel like you can do this, and other days are just miserable and difficult. I'm here if you ever want to talk. I definitely know what its like!!
  • patamber123
    Options
    I can understand totally the not being motivated with depression. Exercise and healthy eating is hard, but when your mind is telling you it's pointless, it is so easy to believe. There is a school of thought out there that exercise can release happy chemicals for the brain, which would help with motivation, the buggar is though you only get the benefit after getting off the sofa, which doesn't help,with the making a start.

Make yourself a promise to always log your foods what ever they are, if your trying to stick to a diet then you know you can stick to it on an 'up' day, and tell yourself if you don't manage on a 'down' day then it's not a disaster but the compromise is you must record everything you do eat. It doesn't need to be done at the second you eat anything, but if your not motivated to do it throughout the day try setting 5 mins at the end of the day for logging.

And the same with exercise set out what you want to do, 45 mins every day then aim to achieve that on an 'up' day, but compromise with yourself on a down day. Say 15 minutes of exercise, and if you don't want to go for a run, that's fine, there are some arm stretches and reps you can do while watching tv on the sofa. Maybe during a commercial break try to just do basic arm movements throughout it. Also reward yourself for the unintentional exercise, preparing and cooking food, washing up/housework, it will help you with motivation, and show you that you are trying, ok so there may be an exaggeration of calories burned, waving your arms in the air for 5 mins isn't the same as a workout, but it's that feel good factor, which will boost you for the next day.

Feel free to add me for support and motivation if you need it.

Patricia
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sparrow.

Working out made my depression lessen. I still get days where I don't feel like I even want to move, but they are becoming more infrequent. I just had to keep forcing myself to go to gym until it became habit and I started to ENJOY it.

Get more sun. Breathe deeper. Walk more. =)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have Major Deppresive Disorder and Anxiety Disorder...along with a binging problem. I take Lexapro, but there are still 1 or 2 days a week that are like drowning for me. We just have to keep on keeping on and recognizing it for what it is and not be ashamed.

I always feel better when I exercise, but it's all I can do to get up and do it. Do you have someone that can be an exercise partner with you? I find it easier when my friends or kids exercise with me.

Just remember you are not alone and we are here for you!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I also find that working out helps my depression. While I am not currently suffering, there have been times where I have felt extreme depression. I found that working out at least three times a week for 30 minutes helped SO MUCH! Endorphins help to naturally make you feel better, but it absolutely will not get rid of your depression, it can only help a small bit. Invest the time no matter how you feel at that moment. Let it be something you have to do, like going to work. You can't skip, you have to go. It will not always be easy, but it will most likely make you feel a touch better.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can understand totally the not being motivated with depression. Exercise and healthy eating is hard, but when your mind is telling you it's pointless, it is so easy to believe.

I, too, struggle with this a LOT. In fact, last week/weekend I fell off the wagon again and went on a binge. (I am an emotional eater also.) I cried a lot, ate a lot, didn't log in...and when I did, I half-assed it and rarely completed it. I argued with my family and slept a lot.

I think sometimes we just get burned out on life, and those of us who suffer from anxiety and clinical depression, have a harder time with it.

My only advice is to "fake it until you make it". Granted, it doesn't always work, but some days it does at least get me out of bed, or help me make better choices to eat.

Good luck, and if you need someone that knows EXACTLY how it is, friend me.

Sara :flowerforyou:
  • nidalee
    nidalee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from and battling depression for at least a decade now, and it's definitely been a major deterrent to my weight loss goals. There are days when I wake up and all I want to do is sit in front of the TV and snack on packets of sugar (and I have done this, once upon a time... one of my greatest shames!) I can't speak from experience, because I've only been making a serious commitment for a little over a week now, but no medication I've taken has made me feel as positive, energetic and hopeful quite like exercise and taking care of myself does. I don't mean to sound like an infomercial or a life coach, but feeling better about the choices I'm making has vastly improved my ability to deal with those depressive episodes. I wish I could say I weren't still struggling, but I do every day and I probably always will. I haven't been lucky enough to find an anti-depressant that works for me yet, so I'm pretty much on my own. But this has been, without a doubt, the most positive week I've had in a long time. Comfort eating has nothing on being healthy.

Also, I feel this goes without saying, but I know where you're coming from and I'd be happy to add you or to talk whenever you need it. We all need a little help getting by now and again.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been diagonsed with depression and anxiety. I am on medication and need to start seeing a therapist. But I feel like working out really helps. It really clears my mind and gives me something that I can control to focus on when my mind wants to do the crazy stuff it just loves to do. My husband and I have had a really hard time because of my depression and anxiety, it makes me really petty and insecure. I am working my hardest to overcome these obstacles but it is very difficult and people that don't deal with it really don't seem to understand. Just keep working and I recommend for everyone that deals with it to either see a therpsit or try medication. I have been dealing with anxiety my whole life and just started taking the medication 3 months ago, I feel the best I have in my entire life.
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety and depression all my life, so I know what it's like to get in that slump.

Honestly, the only thing that has ever worked for me is simply forcing myself to do it. No matter how tired you are or how bad you feel, try forcing yourself to exercise for a few days. For me, I actually start feeling physically and mentally better and it's easier to keep going.

I'm sure that doesn't sound like much help... it's tough!

This. ^ and Just know that you are not alone.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am right with you. I KNOW that exercise and taking care of myself makes me feel better. I have a year on MFP that proves it... but four weeks ago my live-in boyfriend lost his job and I've just been in a tail spin ever since. The only thing I feel like I'm truly acheiving right now is getting up and getting to work. I KNOW that exercise will help but it feels impossible right now. I take a low dosage of Celexa but it doesn't even seem like that is helping. I'm definitely at the lowest I've been in a decade. It's just nice to know I'm not alone.

<3
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Exercise (especially outside in the light for me) has helped my anxiety and depression immensely. To the point where my therapist can now spot when I've fallen off of my exercise routine. When I just don't feel like it she tells me do it anyway. Just for 15 minutes a day. There's a good chance that once you have your shoes on and get started you'll probably go for a little longer than you planned. It gets a little better every time and before you know it your motivation has caught up with you and you're back in a routine. Sometimes you just have to fake it until you make it. And sometimes you have to drag your motivation out from under the bed kicking and screaming.