Has anyone tried this? Feedback please.

Options
So I researched " The Diet solution" Sounds great. I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Would love some feedback if you have.
It said that Wheat bread turns to sugar in your body, I researched and it does! I thought I was doing the right thing by eating it. WRONG!
I think the wheat bread thing hit me because my Mom is a diabetic and when she wakes up her sugar is 79, she eats 2 pieces of wheat bread toast with a small amount of low fat margarine every morning, her sugar jumps to over 179! We could never figure out why, Now I know.
So whole grain bread it is!
Anyways, if you have done the diet solution please let me know how it is going for you, I would appreciate it. I want to buy it but want to get some feedback first.
Thank you.
Have a great day! : )

Replies

• Sonflower
    Options
    Hi,
    I really did not know this, but I try to limit my bread intake...whole grain is best..if i just says wheat bread it has lots of other things baked it...there is one out there I will look today and see what the name is that has lots of grain...it really tastes good also..
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know exactly where you are coming from. I am Type 2 Diabetic and struggling to lose
    weight. I have gone to a Naturpatic Doctor and he suggested nothing in the bread family
    at all. Also no root vegetables (ex. carrots) This all turns to sugar.
    I am sure your mom is getting help with this but this will help her if she does this.
    It takes a little getting used to. Then it is like anything else, second nature.
    I am not familiar with the program you are referring to because I live in Canada.
    I am basically eating vegetables, except root, meat and fruit. Also watch the fruit
    as we know it turns to sugar too. In moderation is the key.
    I hope I have helped.:bigsmile:
  • rachelleybelle
    Options
    A diabetic's dinner plate should consist of 50% non-startchy vegetables (anything but potato, carrot, corn and peas) and 25% lean protein, 25% whole grain carbs. You can add a small piece of fruit to that as well. If you stick to that you generally don't have a problem with sugar spikes and you are getting adequate nutrition. I work in a pharmacy and we had place mats from our local diabetes center that showed what a plate should look like for a diabetic. I don't think spending money on a diet solution is necessary. I am not diabetic but I have decided to try eating 50% of my meal as vegetables and I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have not heard about the Diet Solution but I can tell you that carbs break down into sugar. My 18-year old son is an insulin dependent diabetic and has been since he was 13 months old. Even things that say "sugar-free" have carbs - which affect your blood sugar. It's very deceiving marketing.

I have learned from the years of trying to maintain my son's blood sugar to eat anything with carbs (breads - even whole grain ones) in moderation and always have them with protein.
  • txflowergirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My Mom was anorexic for over 10 years, she ate 1 small salad a day and took fen-phen for years which is probably why she has heart problems is a diabetic and other health problems. I have the hardest time trying to get her to eat right, so many have put her on the wrong path, and since she is the parent she will believe them before me. Thats why I need a good book that she can read to get eating right. The book I mentioned, which is actually several books and featured on this site, takes you thru good food, bad food, foods that turn to sugar, and has great healthy recipes etc.
    I have to put it in her hands , if she can see it she will do it. And since I am on this journey to try and prevent the health problems within myself and help her also it will be great for both of us.
    Thanks again for the feedback, I so appreciate it!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the fuel the body uses. It uses them by converting them to sugar. They body prefers to use carbs for evergy, but will use fat and even muscle tissue as fuel if needed, which is the basis of the low-carb diet. Take out the fuel from carbs, and the body has to use the fuel it has stored as fat.

Not all carbs are created equal. Some carbs metabolize into suger more quickly, while some others convert more slowly. The tendency to convert more quickly or more slowly is measured by the glycemic index. Carbs with a high glycemic index can spike blood sugar levels because they convert to sugars very quickly. These can cause trouble, though they are good to have right after a weightlifting or any sort of intense workout as they stimulate the muscles to start recovery quickly. They're also used to stimulate digestion when taken with certain supplements to help with absorbtion, most notably creatine. When used after a workout, a 4/1 ratio of carbs to protein is generally prefered. (I actually use low-fat chocolate milk, which also works as a nice after-workout reward.)

A quick online search will give you the glycemic index for any carbs you're interested in including in your diet.
  • jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Given her history, I would suggest that she talk to her physician about getting a referral to a dietician. Fad diets could be dangerous for her. She sounds like she needs to be medically monitored, as there as so many long term risks from anorexia, diabetes and heart conditions.

All the best. I know what it is like trying to convince a parent to do something that they are not interested in doing.:flowerforyou:
  • txflowergirl
    Options
    Thanks JOJO, Her dietician is the one that told her to eat wheat bread and a few other things that raise her sugar. And her Doctor, don't even get me started there. He tryed to ween her off diabetes! UGH, what a quack, Needless to say we saw the ER a few times that week. We live in a small town and she won't budge on Doctors so it's up to me. Hopefully she see's me getting healthier and sticking to my guns on the food I get and she will follow. The book here is just about food choices, which is what I need, I have never dieted in my life and her diets were crazy so I need a good source for what to eat , what to cook, what certain things mean etc. It's very confussing. I have gained 50 lbs. in less than 2 years, time to get healthy and eat right.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It said that Wheat bread turns to sugar in your body, I researched and it does! I thought I was doing the right thing by eating it. WRONG!

All carbs turn to sugar in your body. However, they fuel your brain and whole grains promote the burning of visceral fat, specifically.

You need to do more research. Try the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic or speak to a registered dietician. Your understanding of this is very basic.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed as pre diabetic just over a year ago. I imediately consulted a dietician and nutritionist and did a lot of research. I have had us BOTH on a low glycemic food plan now for about 10 months. My husband went off his meds about 6 months ago and now has PERFECT blood sugar. We fixed it all with only diet and exercise. It can be done!

One added side effect . . . he is now only 25 pounds away from his lowest adult weight and Im within 10 pounds toward my 1/2 way point also.