Water water water

Options
So I've always wondered this, it says 8 glasses of water. Well how big a glass?
Also, do fruit teas count as your water intake? As they have no additional calories, well the ones I've got anyways.

Help :-)

Replies

• janegeraldine
    janegeraldine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have always understood it to be 8 8 oz. glasses of water per day, or 8 one cup servings. I have also read that herbal teas without caffeine are acceptable in a water count, but it has to be pretty unadulterated to count as actual water. I believe.

I always end up drinking way more than 64 ounces of water a day, especially in the summer, but water is pretty much the only thing I drink aside from my daily coffee.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The norm is (8) 8oz. glasses but if you are very active, I recommend more. Between my unsweetened tea and water, I usually drink a gallon or more a day. I do a lot of running though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A glass is 8oz / 250ml with the target intake being about 2 litres per day.

You will get a lot of conflicting opinions as to what should or shouldn't count as water. If you do a little digging on the subject you will find (and avoid the so-called hydration research material - it's funded largely by sports drink makers) that most of us can get most of the fluids we need from other dietary sources - most fruits and vegetable, for example, are 70 to 80% water; even meat contains a high percentage of water.

Drinks that contain caffeine or alcohol tend to have a mild diuretic effect but the reality is that you're still drinking mostly water.

Interestingly in the old days when marathon runners almost uniformly followed deprivation training models we didn't have runners dropping dead from dehydration. Now that we're all so hyper-hydrated there are reported cases (they're few and the real risk is low) of runners dying from hyponatremia.

The 8 glasses of water per day is arbitrary. If you exercise a lot in a hot climate you probably need more (depending on your sweat rate). You'll find more and more credible sources suggesting that you simply trust your thirst.
  • janegeraldine
    janegeraldine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really like this post ^^. I have also heard of the marathon runners who die after the fact because they had over hydrated. I find that if I drink too much before a run, I feel heavier and very sloshy in comparison to when I drink just a couple cups. Of course, EVERYONE is different. I also like to drink more water because it keeps me flushed out (I tend to retain pretty easily).

I definitely would not advocate just getting your water from foods, but if you live on a lot of fruit and veggies, you may notice yourself going to the bathroom a lot more. Ha!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    From my understanding to it is 8 of the 8 oz glasses of H2o. Fruit drinks, milk can be counted as water but I would not count diuretics like alcoholic drinks, coffee as water. Foods also have water in them think about watermelon, and lettuce that can help you hydrate but I personally do not count them as water.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The whole idea is to be hydrated, and the need for water varies so much by individual, climate, activity, etc saying one needs X glasses of water a day is really ridiculous. No one can provide a number that is appropriate for everyone. But, you can say that if your urine is light yellow in color then you are hydrated, and if it is bright yellow to dark yellow then you need more water.

And yes, any food or beverage containing water counts toward your hydration. This includes fruits, vegetables, milk, sodas, coffee, tea,. etc.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Its a tough issue for me . I think 8,8oz glasses is defininitely whats meant, but for some as myself its a curse more so than a help. I ended up in emerg with water intoxication and have problems with my sodium. I was drinking water excessively. I was taken off of water a year ago and placed on something replenishes the electrolytes so my sodium stays up. Since beginning the program I drink 5 cups a day and hope it causes no problems. As I said maybe like this man said he runs a lot so his body needs it . Not everyone has issues, but I would also take into consideration fruits and veggies have water when I think of my total water intake.
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    8 Oz or 240 ml .... no just water is water
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    I aim for 2 liters of just plain water a day. I don't count things that have water in them. I'm drinking more because it's been so hot this summer, but I also like to watch my sodium intake, sometimes I need more because just the water isn't putting in other things. The main thing is, I don't count liquid that has a lot of sugar or a sugar substitute in it. So diet/regular soda or sugary juice doesn't count.

But now that I'm fully hydrated, I feel a lot better.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    8 Oz or 240 ml .... no just water is water

So this gallon jug of water I turn into no calorie, unsweetened tea is no longer water? I beg to differ. There is water in everything, even your food.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I count things such as tea, coffee, Crystal Light, etc., all as water as they are all still mostly water at their core. Running it through some beans or leaves doesn't magically change that fact. Getting plenty of good old water is definitely important, but in my small and unimportant opinion, you don't need to drink your body weight in it every day on top of all of the other beverages you drink.
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The general rule as I understand it is you should have 0.5 ounce of water per lean lb of body weight. If you are active then you should increase that number up to 1 ounce of water per lean lb of body weight.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into the big water debate.... Just wanted to let you know I think you're gorgeous! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, I'm aware that this won't be a popular opinion here, but I think that after a while if you've been eating healthily, you shouldn't stress about the numbers. Just drink when you're thirsty. Your body will tell you what it needs. I do count unsweetened tea as water, since that's essentially all it is.