2 1/2 weeks of strength training, can you see the changes?

Options
Since the beginning of my healthy lifestyle change 8 months ago, I have been working very hard to lose the weight. Most of my focus in the beginning was to eat at a deficit and do some sort of "work out" that would cause some sort of calorie burn. As time has gone on, I have been doing a lot of reading and research. Now I am more focused on my macros, what exactly I am putting in my body including a major increase of protein which I was severely lacking before. I also decided that I can't just do cardio based exercises to get the results that I want for my body, especially since I am very pear-shaped and the only way to find balance would be to lose body fat.

These past 2 1/2 weeks I have learned a lot about using free weights and lifting heavy. I set up schedules and goals that I can achieve during each session. I watch videos on proper form and focus on certain muscle groups on certain days. Though it hasn't been very long yet, I feel like I can see a difference in my body composition already starting, specifically in my shoulders, arms and my stomach. My legs are still big, but I can see a little change. I am very excited and also kicking myself for not doing strength training a long time ago! Is it me or do see the results?

Also, I went from 47.4% BF 8 months ago to 33.2% BF now

m8hy.jpg

Replies

• HollySue25
    HollySue25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Your sides are like inches smaller & your waist. Keep lifting! Feel free to keep posting updates as you go I'd love to see your progress.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    a very big difference! great job
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Defiantly! It is working for you, keep going and you will be amazed by what your body will do!
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning of my healthy lifestyle change 8 months ago, I have been working very hard to lose the weight. Most of my focus in the beginning was to eat at a deficit and do some sort of "work out" that would cause some sort of calorie burn. As time has gone on, I have been doing a lot of reading and research. Now I am more focused on my macros, what exactly I am putting in my body including a major increase of protein which I was severely lacking before. I also decided that I can't just do cardio based exercises to get the results that I want for my body, especially since I am very pear-shaped and the only way to find balance would be to lose body fat.

These past 2 1/2 weeks I have learned a lot about using free weights and lifting heavy. I set up schedules and goals that I can achieve during each session. I watch videos on proper form and focus on certain muscle groups on certain days. Though it hasn't been very long yet, I feel like I can see a difference in my body composition already starting, specifically in my shoulders, arms and my stomach. My legs are still big, but I can see a little change. I am very excited and also kicking myself for not doing strength training a long time ago! Is it me or do see the results?

Also, I went from 47.4% BF 8 months ago to 33.2% BF now

m8hy.jpg

I see a huge difference!! You look incredible!!

I am just reaching realisation stage now too and noticing that cardio isnt doing 'enough' for me now and I need to start using weights...

If you have the time I would love you forever if you could give me a plan of what you are doing to achieve such amazing results...what kind of workouts and weights you are using etc...

Thank you so much! Once again, you look amazing!
  • crystalynnb
    crystalynnb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow you look great!!

what is your routine?? and do you do most lifting at the gym or at home.

i have a gym membership but im very nervous to get out of the circut weight area
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Yes everything looks smaller and tighter...I agree keep lifting...and don't be scared.... Congrats on your progress
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Those are amazing results for 2 1/2 weeks. Super impressed!!! Keep up the lifting!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is soooo inspiring and just the motivation I need to keep going with my new plan! Thank you!!!!
    I just started lifting weights this week. I'm following the workouts from Jamie Eason LiveFit program and I like how she has videos for every workout she has you do so that I know what I'm doing and I can watch my form. I too have been working on calorie count and cardio to burn calories for about 7 months and while yes I saw weight loss I didn't see a big difference in inches or how my body composition looked. And I'm pear shaped too. I hope I see results like these in another 2 weeks!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Big difference in a short amt of time, keep up the good work
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    your shoulders and hips look diffrent! Keep going girl good job!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing and my profile pic is the difference. I couldnt be happier. I have lost 4 inches around my middle

Congrats and keep up the amazing work!!
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You look great! I can see a big difference. I also would like to know your routine. I started incorporating weight training into my workouts. I do JNL fusion which are 30 min exercise routines done in circuits. And Jennifer Nicole Lee (JNL) alternates between 30 sec of cardio and 30 sec of weights. However, your results are amazing, and it would be awesome to know a little more about what you do.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    YEA! Your arms definately look more toned but you really won't see much change in just 2 weeks. Takes a month or two, at least. Keep it up!
  • shannon_campbell87
    Options
    Totally see a difference. Please, please, please let us know what your workouts look like?!?!?!
  • Ashli_Renee
    Ashli_Renee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your stomach is smaller.. Keep it up, way to go!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I can't see the picture you posted, but I'm a BIG believer in lifting... Heavy lifting at that!! I love it!! It has definitely given me the shape I'm after... Keep it up, you'll be AMAZED at the results you get :)
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am obviously no pro on strength training yet, but some of my understandings came from reading the free PDF for Stronglifts 5x5 which I don't actually follow, but it was a good foundation in creating my own training program. I also have been using two apps that help me learn strength training exercises and to keep track of them. (MFP is lacking in the strength training recording department imho):

- iFitness - this app is available on iPhone and probably other smartphones, there is a free version and a $1.99 version, I think the only difference is that there are more types of exercises on the paid version, but the free version works great for me - this app has free weight/barbell/kettlebell/etc strength training moves separated by muscle group that will then show you by a diagram how to perform it, if you don't have the app or can't get it, youtube offers many videos - I especially needed to watch a few times a deadlift so I knew I was doing it correctly

-Fitocracy - this is another free app but also can be used online where you can track your fitness (both strength and cardio) it doesn't focus on calories burned, but instead tracks sets, weight, and your record achievements every time you work out. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but it helps me a lot and makes me more motivated by completing "quests" and earning points

I prefer to do my training in my garage at home. I have dumbbells that can be adjusted to various weights and I have a barbell. One day I focus on arms/shoulders/chest/core and one day I focus on legs/glutes/core and these days are separated by a cardio or rest day ie.

Mon - Arms
    Tues - Running
    Wed - Legs
    Thurs - Running (or other cardio)
    Friday- Arms
    Sat- Rest
    Sun- Legs

Though I strength train, in between and before sets I do some cardio like jump rope, jumping jacks, butt kickers, etc and a lot of these small cardio sessions are taken from various sources like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

My main moves on arm days include - barbell bench presses, dumbbell shoulder presses, dumbbell rows, dumbbell flys
    My main moves on leg days are - barbell deadlifts (regular and romanian), barbell squats, lunges
    Core moves are - crunches, plank, reverse crunches

When I do sets I start lighter and do about 15-25 reps per set, then I work up to the last weight that I ended in a previous session I try to lift as heavy as possible that keeps good form and I can at least perform 3-5 reps

I hope some of this info makes sense and if you have any more questions, let me know :)

Here is an example of one of my leg days (ignore the points they are for fitocracy):

Body Weight Sumo Squat:
    15 reps (+13 pts)
    15 reps (+13 pts)
    Barbell Squat:
    25 lb x 10 reps (+48 pts)
    35 lb x 10 reps (+51 pts)
    Dumbbell Squat:
    20 lb x 10 reps (+53 pts)
    Barbell Deadlift:
    25 lb x 5 reps (+41 pts)
    Half Jump Squat:
    15 reps (+12 pts)
    Static Wall Sit:
    30 sec (+19 pts)
    Plank:
    30 sec (+13 pts)
    Crunch:
    20 reps (+13 pts)
    Jumping Jacks:
    40 jumping jacks (+15 pts)
    40 jumping jacks (+15 pts)
    Jump Rope:
    0:30:00 (+187 pts)
    0:30:00 (+187 pts)
    Flat Straight Leg Raise:
    15 reps (+5 pts)
    15 reps (+5 pts)
    Rear Leg Raises:
    15 reps (+5 pts)
    15 reps (+5 pts)
    Stretching:
    0:01:00 (+2 pts)
  • lucegal
    lucegal Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I'll start with Well Done!!! I can definitely see a difference in your body, especially around your waist. I hope you are feeling really proud of yourself.
    I too am pear shaped, so I was interested in the exercise plan you have put in place. I have issues with my fat thighs and legs, so I think that I will incorporate strengthing exercise into my fitness routine. I'm just starting a new "me" lifestyle this week and your post has given me a boost.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'll start with Well Done!!! I can definitely see a difference in your body, especially around your waist. I hope you are feeling really proud of yourself.
    I too am pear shaped, so I was interested in the exercise plan you have put in place. I have issues with my fat thighs and legs, so I think that I will incorporate strengthing exercise into my fitness routine. I'm just starting a new "me" lifestyle this week and your post has given me a boost.

I'm glad I could help!

Also, thanks everyone for the encouragement and support :D
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow I can see a huge difference. Way to go
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!