Do you workout with your significant other?

Options

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't work out together often. We got to a yoga class on Sundays together. If I run at the gym, sometimes he'll come and cycle a bit. However, we have opposite schedules. He wakes up early for work and I work into the evening.

I don't push it with him because he isn't really overweight and he works full time and takes classes. I am more dedicated to working out.

I think in a year, when he is done with classes, I might be able to get him to work out with me more often. However, we definitely still have the schedule problem! :)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run together when we can, but our schedules make it tough. I try to run 3x per week and usually he's with me at least once. Luckily our pace is similar so we run very well together.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't have a SO :( but my boys and I ride bikes together. My oldest is 18 and lives at his dads now. It holds me accountable to ridewith him because iI have to show up at the trail when we say we're going to ride. It also makes me work harder because I can't keep up with him on the hills!! My youngest is in a cast right now but we plan to lift weights together once the doc releases him.

I like it because I don't want to be the one to back out on our plans and my son won't back out because he won't want to hear me nag :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no hes not interested
    hes staying fat
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yep. We get up at 5:00 am Monday - Friday and head to the gym. We do cardio MWF and Body Pump class (his idea) Tues/Thurs. We go for walk on Saturday and Sunday. At the beginning of this year, I took a challenge to work out for 30 minutes every day. He got inspired and decided to join me. Now we figure out a way to get it in - we've even walked in circles around an airport.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Not yet. I'd like to get a weight set so I can start lifting heavier weight and I know that if my husband knows I'm lifting he'll want to lift, too. That's my plan. :wink: I know we will enjoy working out together. We used to walk together before he got busier at work and we really enjoyed that time together.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My husband won't even try and help me by keeping crap food out of the house, so it's all been me having to push myself. I've had to stop eating crap and not letting myself cave in. I've had to workout on my own. Till recently, he's taken an interest in walking with me. I don't normally walk, I normally jog, but I agreed to walk if he was willing to do it with me. 1 step at a time. He was interest in insanity, then I actually got it and his interest is no longer there. It can't be about interest, has to be about commitment. Oh well I can only do me. I'm about to be ordering Focus T-25 and I can't wait, I feel great and weather he ever does it or not, I still love him. I can't make him do anything he don't want, but he either eats what I cook or he cooks his own food lol. But he isn't picky and actually likes most my cleaner healthier meals. Once in awhile he'll make hot dogs which I can't stand so it doesn't bother me, I usually have my chicken out and ready to be cooked.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love it! My ex and I used to work out together all the time, and he was a great motivator. It was a lot of fun, and it definitely made us feel more like a team. When we broke up we both started hitting the gym even more and "accidently" snap chatting our results, because we're both stubborn as hell and wanted to one-up the other :blushing: Haha mature break up behavior, I know. Now he's one of my best friends and despite being 2,000 miles away, we still push eachother to keep in shape. I'm a lucky girl to have a friend like him!
  • lulu81488
    lulu81488 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend & I love to work out together. He is a fantastic motivator for me and we teach each other different work outs to try. He likes to play racquetball & I am not very good. We play racquetball together sometimes and he is always really patient as I am still learning. He will practice yoga with me as well. I really think that working out together and supporting each other has strengthened our relationship. My boyfriend is athletic and fit, whereas I am still working towards my fitness goals. I probably wouldn't have as much success without his motivation on days when I'm just not into it.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are extremely completive people so it works out good. But we do get feisty at each other at times, and it's gotten bad a couple of times. We decided to put our shells on and say "what happens in the gym, stays in the gym". That has worked out good, he pushes me extremely hard and I push him just as hard.
    It's great doing this with a partner because you are with them more than anyone so they can keep you on track. Working towards a goal with the one you love is amazing.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I work out with my boyfriend fairly often.

We take a hot yoga class once a week, it's a great class because the teacher accomodates various levels so there are lots of modifications for less flexible boyfriend and then advanced poses for myself.

We also go to the gym together from time to time, I do cardio at the gym (he gets his cardio from biking and hockey) so he does weights and then we meet up to stretch together.

I personally love working out together, I know he wants us to join a sports team but we don't really like the same sports. I've never dating anyone before that I could work out with, but this works out so nicely.

I think the reason it is successful is that we are both sort of doing our own thing, but are also together. Going on runs together doesn't work because he runs much much faster than me and we end up being competitive.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Workouts = "I'll kill you!" We've tried but we have totally different workout styles and effort levels. We both hate each other in no time. We even have a hard time doing anything 'fun' together. When we work out together, that's when I wonder the most why we are married. Then we have s*x and I remember why.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use to all the time with my ex. We'd go on runs together and to the gym. We're still great friends so if he's ever in the city I try to get him to go on a run with me. Given that I've surpassed his running ability, that never happens.

The current boyfriend won't even consider it. He says he'd be too embarrassed to workout in front of me because I'm in better shape than him. He takes my constructive criticism on health and working out as flat out criticism. Don't really like it though. I've always worked out with who I'm dating.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity Asylum with my boyfriend. At the time he wasn't officially my boyfriend and in the very beginning I was self conscious and it hindered my workout. But I got use to. 100% comfortable and it was really fun. I wouldn't have done the video at all if he weren't there.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    As often as we can, We run together 2 or 3 times a week and take a walk together 2 or 3 times a week.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    We occasionally go to the gym together, but generally dont workout together while there.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Our work schedules are too different---I workout early before my 1st part time job, he works on the way home from work while I'm at my 2nd part time job. Plus both of us are pretty much loners when we work out--just want to quietly concentrate on what we're doing and not socialize.
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    Although my fiance doesn't really need to lose much weight (10 pounds, and it's for cardiac reasons), I try to encourage him to go with me to the gym or out for walks when I go. I definitely find it much easier to keep going with him by my side, even though we're both listening to our iPods and pretty much ignoring each other. It helps to keep me motivated, because seeing him makes me want to be healthier and thinner. We're getting married in April, and I'd hate to be the fat bride next to her skinny groom. I also don't want to die young because of my weight, so having him by my side keeps me on track.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Only if walking to and from the bar counts ha ha (one time we walked 1.5 miles each way so that might count). We don't work out together, I like to take classes and do HIIT (I am a former dancer and current dance teacher) and he's more of a runner lifter (he used to play soccer). Lots of luck to you and the bf with the workouts. If that doesn't work out see if you can get a friend to join you for exericse.
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    IF my FH worked out on a regular basis I would hate to work out with him. I use that time to be by myself and have me time. He needs to stay out of my workout time (especially when sometimes i using that time to decompress from him!!).