Ladies!!! Best exercises to help target the hips?

Options
I need some good exercises to add in to help target that area in between the thinnest part of your waist down to your hips. I'm super curvy...which isnt necessarily bad but to be able to be happy about it I need to burn as much fat as possible, while building muscle in this area. So any good workouts for this????

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce, you can eat at a deficit, lift heavy, and do some cardio to decrease body fat to get you closer to the appearance that you want.
  • Kai_Milla1
    Kai_Milla1 Posts: 37
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce, you can eat at a deficit, lift heavy, and do some cardio to decrease body fat to get you closer to the appearance that you want.

Well ive been doing all of this for about 6-7 weeks now but it seems to be my hardest area to lose from...I didnt know if there was anything else I could do specifically to help with these areas
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Tae bo (kick boxing)
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    I found that cutting back on carbs (which goes usually towards the hips and ab area) and increasing HIIT training which incase you don't know is High Intensity Interval training it is an effective cardio workout that cuts your cardio time down but increases fat burn and calorie torching!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Well ive been doing all of this for about 6-7 weeks now but it seems to be my hardest area to lose from...I didnt know if there was anything else I could do specifically to help with these areas

Unfortunately it takes time. That plus your body decides where it wants to use up fat stores from first. My body has decided it is going to wait until the last possible second before it uses and of the fat in my belly. Aggravating but I just have to wait.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You can't target the fat anywhere on your body. You will lose it from where ever you lose it.

However, if you want to build up the muscles in your hips, squats, deadlifts, and lunges will do the trick.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I noticed the biggest improvement running sprints, hills, stairs.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have a similar shape and I lost a couple inches in that area doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. It really will take a combination of cardio to lose the fat and strength to gain the muscle. The Jillian Michaels workouts cover both. I'm sure other circuit training sorts of workouts would provide similar results.
  • Kai_Milla1
    Options
    I found that cutting back on carbs (which goes usually towards the hips and ab area) and increasing HIIT training which incase you don't know is High Intensity Interval training it is an effective cardio workout that cuts your cardio time down but increases fat burn and calorie torching!

Ive been trying cutting back on carbs for the last two weeks and as much as I stay under 80g of carbs it puts me wayyyyy under in calories. I cant seem to find a balance in low carb and meeting an acceptable calorie goal.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Swimming!!!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I found that doing cardio and spinning classes helped me. I lost 2in.
  • Kai_Milla1
    Options
    Awesome- This is what I have heard and the Stair stepper is the first thing I do everyday for 20 minutes at a high intensity, switching intervals. Ill add in some sprints on the treadmill. Thanks!
  • Jo1een
    Jo1een Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On top of the other wonderful suggestions, I thought I would add that Belly Dancing really helped with toning my hips and ab area. Not to mention it is really fun if you get into it. =]
  • Kai_Milla1
    Options
    Is HIIT its own specific workout or is it just a term used for workouts that are at high intensity? Because I do the stair stepper for 20 minutes and every minute I switch from 75% to 25%...I do this everyday. Is this good HIIT training?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats, deadlifts, intervals, box jumps. Throw in some cardio.

And eat your protein.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Dry humping.
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with most all of the people replying.. however just thought I would add my 2-cents..

Fat cells and deposits are generally evenly distributed. However some people have more fat cells in 1 area over another.
    Spot reducing will not help you lose weight or fat in a particular area.
    When we lose fat .. fat is pulled equally from all areas.
    You may be able to notice a big difference in your fingers and not in your abdomen or hips.. same amount of fat is taken from both areas you just have more fat cells in the other prone areas... so it takes longer.

Eat at deficit and work your *kitten* off... All you can do.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Side bends!!! (And you totally CAN spot reduce. I have, and it's worked for me.) I use 3 pound weights and do reps of 25 each side, like 4-6 times every other day. This has helped me with my sides a lot. I am very curvy as well. I went from squeezing into a size 18, down to a 12/14 (depending on brand) since the middle of March. I also do cardio. I run every other day, and that is the BEST way to reduce your core and lose inches (even my doctor said so), but you can absolutely reduce the hips by doing some side bends.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Side bends!!! (And you totally CAN spot reduce. I have, and it's worked for me.) I use 3 pound weights and do reps of 25 each side, like 4-6 times every other day. This has helped me with my sides a lot. I am very curvy as well. I went from squeezing into a size 18, down to a 12/14 (depending on brand) since the middle of March. I also do cardio. I run every other day, and that is the BEST way to reduce your core and lose inches (even my doctor said so), but you can absolutely reduce the hips by doing some side bends.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your 4 inches lost has more to do with your diet and running than the side bends with 3# weights.

And if your doctor said so you need to find another doctor because he/she is an idiot.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    'Hip-dips'. Not sure if that's the actual term for them, but you're in plank position on your elbows and tilt so your hips touch the floor side to side for as many reps as you want/are able. I tend to feel firmer in the hip area after doing this regularly.